1.1m dish set up

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
OK... go into Diseqc 1.2... use the controls to nudge the motor to ZERO on the motor's dial... you should have an option to recalculate - that should re zero your motor. Then check it again by go to reference or going back to USALS and with your settings & Thor still zero.. check Thor is zero .. (go to 5e then back to Thor just to make sure)... all the satellites will be at the right position on the motor dial so you can double check a few of them .. Try 13e does = 13e etc... (they wont work like that so don't expect any signals).

If that is OK then return your longitude to the correct one and Thor back to .8w. Then choose Thor again and line your dish up again* on Thor moving the whole assembly on the main pole and the dish up and down but do not alter anything else (your motor dial should show about 2e ….* make sure you have corrected latitude setting on your motor... and also that all the transponders or channels you use to locate each satellite are active ones.. see strongest signals list elsewhere on this forum)..

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
'Fortec Star Passion' (& a dead SL65) One of them big Woks on the outside, and a thingy that moves it about a bit.
My Location
Nottingham
I have 2 receivers here and tried what you have said, it still goes to around 10w on the motor for thor 0.8w, when I am 1.2w?

I have now confused myself so much, I cant find where I found the setting to set thor to 0.0.

Having spent most of a week on this, it might be easier to buy a freeview box from ASDA!

I'm going to have some lunch now and go off to work. Might try again in the morning...

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
mick2me said:
I have 2 receivers here and tried what you have said, it still goes to around 10w on the motor for thor 0.8w, when I am 1.2w?

I have now confused myself so much, I cant find where I found the setting to set thor to 0.0.

Having spent most of a week on this, it might be easier to buy a freeview box from ASDA!

I'm going to have some lunch now and go off to work. Might try again in the morning...

Anyway, your motor is out about 10 degrees westward .. the docs on the Passion might give you a reset (motor) option too.

Also, I think other things are at fault too ... there are quite a number of things to get right and if something is faulty too it really can through everything out.

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
'Fortec Star Passion' (& a dead SL65) One of them big Woks on the outside, and a thingy that moves it about a bit.
My Location
Nottingham
Currently workig with a Fortec 5100

And I have checked both sides with level

Bubble is fine on the level

I have another motor, If I can get help tomorrow I will get the dish down and change it.

No problem with PBO on these brackets

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Change the motor and see, it may be duff :D

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
The weight of a heavy 1m /1.1m dish like a Triax or Channel Masters can cause faults or show up faults/weakness on some diseqc motors that would normally work OK on slightly smaller/ lighter dishes.
With heavier dishes you soon find out what motors are up to the job. That might not be what's up... just another possibility- if it is that, whatever sat you send the motor to can be out.

Does the motor make any unusual noise.. particularly from far east or far west positions moving back to zero?

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nottingham
Moves smoothly from east to west?

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
That sounds promising, at least it's not grinding, smoking, bits flying out etc... (I hate it when they do that) as to the 10 degrees out .. it may have slipped previously under the weight 'plus' a strong gust of wind....or er... not.

When you get it off, check it all and set it up on the floor and reset it there if it will reset.

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nottingham
Motor exchanged.

Tuned to Thor

Moved to 28e but still needs dish elevation changing to get a signal?

Its the elevation thats wrong somewhere. East to west movement takes it to the right E-W

RAIN STOPPED PLAY...

L8R

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
post some pictures, it might be something obvious :D

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
mick2me said:
Motor exchanged.

Tuned to Thor

Moved to 28e but still needs dish elevation changing to get a signal?

Its the elevation thats wrong somewhere. East to west movement takes it to the right E-W

RAIN STOPPED PLAY...

L8R

Does that motor point to where it should .... Thor is near zero where you are.. is it roughly zero? (all should be 1.2 more east .. Thor = 0.2 east on the motor) is 28.2e right? (28.2+1.2=29.4 on motor).

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nottingham
I have double checked that the dish is plub. both with level on
the pole and back and sides of the motor.

Here are images of the dish mount and motor dial with dish pointing to Thor 0.8w then 28e.

I am N52.5
W1.2

Attachments

• IMG_5829-motor-scale-28e.jpg
    IMG_5829-motor-scale-28e.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5821a.jpg
    IMG_5821a.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5822a.jpg
    IMG_5822a.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5825-THOR.jpg
    IMG_5825-THOR.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 29

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Almost the same coordinates as me :)

Start with the dish on zero and straight.

Input L/L

Send dish to 0.8W

The dish will move 0.4º in an easterly direction (it's only a fraction)

Then set up on thor 0.8W

If everything is plumb and the correct latitude set to motor which it is, it should track the arc without any problems at all.

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
mick2me said:
I have double checked that the dish is plub. both with level on
the pole and back and sides of the motor.

Here are images of the dish mount and motor dial with dish pointing to Thor 0.8w then 28e.

I am N52.5
W1.2

That's the wrong dial... it's the one on the front you go off... that's a Superjack and I think the other motor was too... that dial is intended to be turned by the installer to the correct location including offset regardless of the actual position on the front dial. ie: Thor would be at 1w on that when it's corerectly adjusted even though you don't live at zero latitude.

Just go off the front dial... that dial could be anywhere ..... that could be why your motor was 10 degrees west ... er.... it wasn't.

Sorry I didn't spot it was a Supejack earlier.. I couldn't see that on your first photos.

Just use the front dial and you can adjust that back dial when you know you are correctly on Thror to 1w with a screwdriver. (EDIT.. you could set that back dial to match the front)

BTW... very good motor ... that shouldn't grind and go ping.. very quiet too..

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nottingham
The other motor was a Geotrack.
Appears to be exactly the same motor with a different label

The dish is centre on the motor stub
The pole is vertical and there is no PBO

Again i pointed the dish south with the motor centred.
Set my coords
Sent motor to Thor with USALS
Moved the motor on the pole and elevated dish to peak signal on Thor.

Go to Astra28e via USALS. NO SIGNAL

Whe dish is picking up Thor Motor FRONT scale shows approx 4 degrees west of centre.

I am 1.2 west, Thor is 0.8w so surely the motor should be showing 0.4 east of centre position when pointing at Thor?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
yes it should.

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nottingham
Set the motor for best signal on Thor Elevation scale on the dish reads 33 degrees

Sent it to 28E with USALS, No signal at all.

Changed the dish elevation only, got a very good signal from 28E,
The Elvation reading on the dish for 28E is 29 degrees.

The motor goes to the right place for satellite horizontally but needs the elevation changing to receive from the satellite?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Do you get 19e, 13e and 9e and what about the West side?

From the information you supplied above - indicates the motor Latitude is incorrect or too high but we've done all this.....

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
satelliteman said:
From the information you supplied above - indicates the motor Latitude is incorrect or too high but we've done all this.....

Or the latitude and longitude which has been input into the receiver.

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nottingham
Got 19e
trying others
(this is with the dish prmarily elevated for 28e, not Thor)