2.4 DH Antenna installation

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
It's looking good.

I noticed that some of the rail tracks seem to have new cuts at the ends, did you cut them yourself?
It would have taken a good saw or grinding wheel to cut through that amount of steel.

Rgds

Thanks happy someone else likes it as well as me :), no I had it cut to the size I wanted it, you need special blades and chop saw to cut it properly/easy, cost me a extra £30 for cuts, I wasn't prepared to buy a saw drill was enough

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Thanks happy someone else likes it as well as me :), no I had it cut to the size I wanted it, you need special blades and chop saw to cut it properly/easy, cost me a extra £30 for cuts, I wasn't prepared to buy a saw drill was enough

Yes, my local metal stockholder had to import the blades from the USA for his big metal saw, it was high cost just for the blades. The saw he had was like a huge mechanical hacksaw with blades almost 1 metre long, just load the steel into the saw, position and clamp it for the cut and press the button.

Will we see pics of the dish on the rails today, you must be getting close to getting the dish erected?

Rgds

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK

Yes, my local metal stockholder had to import the blades from the USA for his big metal saw, it was high cost just for the blades. The saw he had was like a huge mechanical hacksaw with blades almost 1 metre long, just load the steel into the saw, position and clamp it for the cut and press the button.

Will we see pics of the dish on the rails today, you must be getting close to getting the dish erected?

Rgds

Its hard steel, sounds like he's using a band saw,

Unfortunately its been raining all morning and got nothing done, decided just to strap it on while after inspection, I need to do more rail drilling to bolt king post, a few more pictures
IMG_3360.JPG IMG_3361.JPG IMG_3362.JPG

I need to hit the above gap in houses to stand a chance of 65.5E, now I'm using prime focus I stand more of a chance dish pointing directly at the satellite less obstacles time will tell :)

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Birds will be happy, plenty food for them on the rail track today :)

It's just my opinion but I think the prime focus dishes are a lot easier to line up on the arc compared to offset dishes.

Rgds

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
Birds will be happy, plenty food for them on the rail track today :)

It's just my opinion but I think the prime focus dishes are a lot easier to line up on the arc compared to offset dishes.

Rgds

Like watching the birds, this time of year its nice to help them along the way. I get mouse at night well I get a few don't mind mouse, rat I don't want

Agree 100% :), prime focus better if you have obstacle will increase arc from offset,

I need to paint dish green, get washed dish down and first inspection, dish is in very good condition rim is how it should be, just one small dent half size of a pea, very pleased with condition,
IMG_3364.JPG

Will string dish make sure its perfect shape when I service motor and other parts.
View attachment 102729

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Like watching the birds, this time of year its nice to help them along the way. I get mouse at night well I get a few don't mind mouse, rat I don't want

Agree 100% :), prime focus better if you have obstacle will increase arc from offset,

I need to paint dish green, get washed dish down and first inspection, dish is in very good condition rim is how it should be, just one small dent half size of a pea, very pleased with condition

Same for me with the birds, as you say, they can do with a bit of help in the cold winter weather. We have 3 x sunflower feeders, 2 x niger seed feeders for the Goldfinches, two fat ball feeders, fat slab feeder, peanut feeder and I throw a half litre container of bird seed on the ground every morning. The Chaffinches seem to prefer the seeds from the ground.

Do you have to paint the dish green, is it part of your planning approval? It seems a shame to have to paint over such a nice dish. The white powder coating or white paint would probably restore very nicely if it was an option.

Rgds

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
Same for me with the birds, as you say, they can do with a bit of help in the cold winter weather. We have 3 x sunflower feeders, 2 x niger seed feeders for the Goldfinches, two fat ball feeders, fat slab feeder, peanut feeder and I throw a half litre container of bird seed on the ground every morning. The Chaffinches seem to prefer the seeds from the ground.

:), I don't get many ground feeding birds the goldfinch pop down sometimes, robin, dunnock, blackbird, doves, pigeon sometimes I get town pigeon, mainly feed sunflower and niger seeds

Do you have to paint the dish green, is it part of your planning approval? It seems a shame to have to paint over such a nice dish. The white powder coating or white paint would probably restore very nicely if it was an option.

I guess I don't have to its on wheels can leave it as it is do what I want, but quite sure some neighbour's would appreciate it green, don't want to upset anyone more than necessary

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Fixing/fine tuning system

Nice double adjustment system.
Will we get pics of the dish on the mount today, you must be getting close to fitting the dish?

Rgds

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
ffffffffffffffffffffffffffaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.PNG
Nice double adjustment system.
Will we get pics of the dish on the mount today, you must be getting close to fitting the dish?

Rgds
Thanks, It was installed for inspection back down now for refurbishment, will posts pictures on final installation, found a stamp on dish, will contact DH for information

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
H to H serviced, it has a grease nipple still had to take it apart, very simple but effective design, need to clean the outside down now
IMG_3378.JPG IMG_3379.JPG IMG_3380.JPG

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
Dish now ready for final installation, still a few things to do but nothing stopping dish going up,

One of the threads snapped on arms, could be a problem, metal and aluminium oxidise can be very stubborn, will weld nut on and get some heat on aluminium hope it loosens up, will make new arms if not
IMG_3384.JPG IMG_3386.JPG IMG_3389.JPG

Last edited:

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
One of the threads snapped on arms, could be a problem, metal and aluminium oxidise can be very stubborn...

It's also a common problem with old Precision dishes, the bolts can get locked into the arms where the arms secure to the dish face. Also, the threaded studs at the feed end of the arms are often locked on old Precision dishes.

I have used a flame from a small butane gas cannister type of blowtorch to free them up. The aluminium expands easily and I have found its sometimes the only way to free them up, especially if you need things sorted out quickly and cannot wait for days/weeks to soak the parts in releasing fluid. A 50-50 mix of acetone and ATF (automatic transmission fluid) makes a very good mixture for soaking if you have the time.

You are almost there, hopefully there will be some pics of the dish installed and some signal captures in the next day or two. You should get some nice C Band catches with that dish, its a real nice dish.

Rgds

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
It's also a common problem with old Precision dishes, the bolts can get locked into the arms where the arms secure to the dish face. Also, the threaded studs at the feed end of the arms are often locked on old Precision dishes.

I have used a flame from a small butane gas cannister type of blowtorch to free them up. The aluminium expands easily and I have found its sometimes the only way to free them up, especially if you need things sorted out quickly and cannot wait for days/weeks to soak the parts in releasing fluid. A 50-50 mix of acetone and ATF (automatic transmission fluid) makes a very good mixture for soaking if you have the time.

You are almost there, hopefully there will be some pics of the dish installed and some signal captures in the next day or two. You should get some nice C Band catches with that dish, its a real nice dish.

Rgds
Same with this threaded rod at each end of arm x 3, I need them all free, have to see how the first one goes, if its a pain will be quicker to make new ones, I have oxy acetylene torch to apply heat but its not guaranteed to do anything,

Thanks for the soaking tip :),

Long way to go to get setup how I want it, need to modify mount for declination control Eprom upgrade four port feed horn run cables more fixing on stand make platform to accept paving slaps on movable base more painting string dish etc, will test drive it before all this though :),

Thanks it is a nice dish very pleased with it :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK

Until the main compounds in petrol were changed a few years ago (less volatiles) a 50/50 mix with diesel was a good soaking agent. I haven't tried the new stuff but somebody might have.

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
more fixing on stand

One job to cross of the list

IMG_3396.JPG IMG_3397.JPG IMG_3399.JPG IMG_3401.JPG

Next job is to make sure I have enough weight on platform, looking at the spec 100mph wind @ 60° will create a force of 2400 pounds 1.08862 Tonne (ton)
Spec.PNG
2.4-3.3m | DH Satellite

Estimating not that far away from this but going to add more weight in each corner, then happy for dish to go up, it will also be strapped to runway, it wont be going anywhere

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Looks like the MAG drill has been working again on the holes for the levelling system on the stand. :)
What size eye bolts are you using for the levelling system, are they M12?

Thx

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
Looks like the MAG drill has been working again on the holes for the levelling system on the stand. :)
What size eye bolts are you using for the levelling system, are they M12?

Thx
Its a dam good drill having a magnet drill is great for something like this, M16 eye bolts

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
Next job is to make sure I have enough weight on platform

Found NPRM in workshop ideal, have 450x450 paving from patio, will put five in each corner, that will give me extra 0.33 Tonne (ton)
IMG_3405.JPG

Need to install winch for moving base up/down runway base then finished
IMG_3406.JPG