Advice Needed 2nd hand Technisat Multytenne arrived dented - will it still work?

eb80

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28.2E, 19.2 E, TNTSAT receiver, FTA UK receiver
My Location
South Coast, SW UK
After this thread, I ordered a used Technisat Multytenne dish online from the Netherlands. It arrived today, but with a big dent in the face of it. Is there any chance it will still work? :(

I'm really upset, I should have just bought a new one. What a waste of money!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Can you provide a pic of the damage? Any distortion of the dish face will degrade the performance of a dish. However the main European satellites are so strong these days you can get away with surprising amounts of damage distortion without losing much signal - for years I have used one 80cm dish I was given that had been bent over double by some kids. I spent an afternoon carefully straightening out and its still in use today as my 3E dish!

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
After this thread, I ordered a used Technisat Multytenne dish online from the Netherlands. It arrived today, but with a big dent in the face of it. Is there any chance it will still work? :(

I'm really upset, I should have just bought a new one. What a waste of money!
With a photo you'd stand a better chance of a useful reponse :)

edit: sorry - didn't see @Analoguesat 's reply. Mods can delete this!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors

eb80

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Coast, SW UK

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Was it described as damaged or dented in the advert or has it been damaged in transit?

eb80

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Coast, SW UK
Was it described as damaged or dented in the advert or has it been damaged in transit?
He said the dish was in 'good condition', no mention of any damage. The damage doesn't seem to have happened in transit as there's no sign of that and there is a fine layer of dried saltwater over the whole dish which would have been disturbed if it had happened in transit, but it's not. There's nothing I can do, though, as it was through a classifieds site, not Ebay.

It's really upsetting to see as it's actually a really nice dish to look at apart from that.

RustySpoons

Sleepy Hollow
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
50E - 30W
2x CM 1.2m Polar Mount/Jack
65E- 65W
Gibertini 1m OP100 - STAB HH100 - Inverto Black Ultra 0.2 Twin
Mutant HD51
Edision Primo IP S2
Dreambox DM800HD
Venton Unibox HD2
Sony Bravia 55" 4K
My Location
South Wales
How did you pay, if you used PayPal you can do something about it, or if you used a credit card?
Do you have a link to the original sale with pictures?
It would say that it might not have been packed properly and the LNB/Arm has dented it.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
Yes, it does not look nice with such a dent :(. But, as it was already mentioned, signals from main sats are so poverful than you will still be able to get this dish to work. But, why not say something to the seller? Or, if payment was via PayPal make complain and 100% you will get your money back.

eb80

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Coast, SW UK
Yes, it does not look nice with such a dent :(. But, as it was already mentioned, signals from main sats are so poverful than you will still be able to get this dish to work. But, why not say something to the seller? Or, if payment was via PayPal make complain and 100% you will get your money back.

I will try but I sent a direct payment, I don't have any payment protection. It's very unlikely he will do anything. And in a way, I don't want to see him out of pocket as he did me a favour by sending from the Netherlands.

It would say that it might not have been packed properly and the LNB/Arm has dented it.

Yes, looking again it seems you are right: the arm, which is very, very heavy (don't know why) has bashed into the back of the dish which is very light and aluminium.

I could try this dish on 5W and buy another digidish 45 to use with the Multytenne LNB, but this was only meant to be a stop-gap until I move house and can have a massive dish for these sats, and another for 5W.

If only this dish had arrived during the snow I could have gone sledging down the hill on it :)

RustySpoons

Sleepy Hollow
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
50E - 30W
65E- 65W
Mutant HD51
Edision Primo IP S2
Dreambox DM800HD
Venton Unibox HD2
Sony Bravia 55" 4K
My Location
South Wales
I will try but I sent a direct payment, I don't have any payment protection. It's very unlikely he will do anything. And in a way, I don't want to see him out of pocket as he did me a favour by sending from the Netherlands.

Yes, looking again it seems you are right: the arm, which is very, very heavy (don't know why) has bashed into the back of the dish which is very light and aluminium.

I could try this dish on 5W and buy another digidish 45 to use with the Multytenne LNB, but this was only meant to be a stop-gap until I move house and can have a massive dish for these sats, and another for 5W.

If only this dish had arrived during the snow I could have gone sledging down the hill on it :)
I'm not familiar with this dish construction, I have seen them and think they are lovely looking things.
I'm wondering about pouring hot water over the back and try and massage it?
Or look for a local engineering company or a panel beater? Someone can get that right I'm sure.

Did the shipping have any insurance?

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
I'm not familiar with this dish construction, I have seen them and think they are lovely looking things.
I'm wondering about pouring hot water over the back and try and massage it?
Or look for a local engineering company or a panel beater? Someone can get that right I'm sure.

Did the shipping have any insurance?
Its a dish not a woman. More hot water darling, oh lovely do press harder....ahhhhh..sigh......

RustySpoons

Sleepy Hollow
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
50E - 30W
65E- 65W
Mutant HD51
Edision Primo IP S2
Dreambox DM800HD
Venton Unibox HD2
Sony Bravia 55" 4K
My Location
South Wales
Its a dish not a woman. More hot water darling, oh lovely do press harder....ahhhhh..sigh......
To some of us a dish has curves in all the right places and might even be preferable.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I best not mention all this to my wife!

A

archive10

Since you seem to accept that the dish was damaged in transit, and you feel it is unlikely that you will get anything out of the Dutch gentleman, then there is only one way forward:

1) put the antenna up, and see if it works well enough as-is.
1.a) what satellites are you looking for?

be happy. AND/OR:

2) Disassemble the brackets from the dish.
3) Gently press the bulge back into shape by placing the dish on a large pillow, and pressing with hands against a suitably folded tea-towel or towel.
4) Re-assemble dish, try reception again, and see if it made any real difference.

Then decide wether to go "oh, well" and get another dish (e.g. a T55) or a motorised etc.

RustySpoons

Sleepy Hollow
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
50E - 30W
65E- 65W
Mutant HD51
Edision Primo IP S2
Dreambox DM800HD
Venton Unibox HD2
Sony Bravia 55" 4K
My Location
South Wales
Since you seem to accept that the dish was damaged in transit, and you feel it is unlikely that you will get anything out of the Dutch gentleman, then there is only one way forward:

1) put the antenna up, and see if it works well enough as-is.
1.a) what satellites are you looking for?

be happy. AND/OR:

2) Disassemble the brackets from the dish.
3) Gently press the bulge back into shape by placing the dish on a large pillow, and pressing with hands against a suitably folded tea-towel or towel.
4) Re-assemble dish, try reception again, and see if it made any real difference.

Then decide wether to go "oh, well" and get another dish (e.g. a T55) or a motorised etc.
I think option 3 is a good idea :)

A

archive10

I think option 3 is a good idea :)
Let me re-phrase that.

3) Gently press the bulge back into shape by placing the dish with the back on a large (non-foam) cushion, and placing a tea-towel or towel folded two-four times over the bulge, and THEN pressing gentlty but firmly down on the bulge until it yields.

You are probably unlikely to get the dish back into it's original shape, but the new shape is likely to be better than the old, distorted shape.

If you want to do it any better, you probably need to get a second multytenne, make concrete cast of the back, strip the bent dish of paint, hammer the bent dish into shape against the concrete form, and then re-paint the dish. (Or just get a new cheap dish like the T55 for the temporary installation.)

eb80

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Coast, SW UK
Let me re-phrase that.

3) Gently press the bulge back into shape by placing the dish with the back on a large (non-foam) cushion, and placing a tea-towel or towel folded two-four times over the bulge, and THEN pressing gentlty but firmly down on the bulge until it yields.

You are probably unlikely to get the dish back into it's original shape, but the new shape is likely to be better than the old, distorted shape.

If you want to do it any better, you probably need to get a second multytenne, make concrete cast of the back, strip the bent dish of paint, hammer the bent dish into shape against the concrete form, and then re-paint the dish. (Or just get a new cheap dish like the T55 for the temporary installation.)

Thank you. There is a man who does car dents just round the corner from me, I wonder if he could do anything? But the cost might be more than a new dish.

I can't go down the t55 route until I have moved: listed building in a conservation area.

eb80

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Coast, SW UK
To some of us a dish has curves in all the right places and might even be preferable.
Charming! And on International Women's Day as well :rolleyes: