AHHHHH help given up motorised dish install need a pro :>)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Nope, you were right and I was wrong!.

Berbére is indeed on 5W and the Channels above are on Thor.

So you are nearly there.

Apols for misleading you!

I assumed you were reporting numbers of viewable Channels, whereas many of the ones you scanned in will no doubt be Encrypted.

Save yourself editing and weeding time and just do FTA scans until you are 100% happy.

jsansom

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 1.1 mtre dish
My Location
private
Tivù said:
Nope, you were right and I was wrong!.

Berbére is indeed on 5W and the Channels above are on Thor.

So you are nearly there.

Apols for misleading you!

I assumed you were reporting numbers of viewable Channels, whereas many of the ones you scanned in will no doubt be Encrypted.

Save yourself editing and weeding time and just do FTA scans until you are 100% happy.

yes most were encrypted, nearly there .... from the photos do you think i need to mount the dish higher as i just tried 28.2e but that wont work no signal :<( bit lost now how to get it finished

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
From your pics, the siting of the dish is fine.

However, I think that you have set the motor angle wrong, which is why the dish angle is only 15 deg or so, whereas it should be more.

Motors often have two scales, one graduated directly in Latitude and the other in "Elevation". IGNORE the "Elevation" scale and set the Motor angle to 52 against the Latitude scale.

Then you'll find the whole assembly is pointing lower, so then increase the dish bracket angle to compensate.

Once you've done that, you'll be able to track the whole arc, not just a little bit in the middle. ie You'll get 28E with ease.

You've cracked the back of this, so just do as advised and all will be well.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I agree with Tivù, the motor setting is considerably out, lower this to the correct latitude and then raise the dish elevation adjustment. As it is, you are skimming the sats at the top of the arc but the arc your motor is following is too shallow, which is why 28°E is hard to catch.

Don't worry about hedge in front of the dish, I'm certain it won't effect your line of sight. With a little perseverence and perspiration you'll get there!!

jsansom

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 1.1 mtre dish
My Location
private
Thanks all for advice and help but i have bit the bullet and given up its just too above me and i think it needs a good quality satellite signal meter ive just gone to 28.2 east and the motor seems to have gone to 30 degrees im pulling my hair out whats left of it lol.
I will just pay to have someone align it for me as for them its probably easy but i have been on this 3 days now still cant get it to work lol.
What sort of price would it cost just to get it aligned and anyonw near to Gloucester that i can pay?
Thanks again for all the help
Regards
Jeremy

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
No, stop and reconsider.

You were all but there and if you follow the advice given to set the Motor bracket correctly and then raise the dish angle to compensate, you will find it tracks.

And the fact that the motor is at 30 deg may be correct ...................... alignment for Satellite position 28.2E is not at a bearing directly corresponding to 28.2E, rather it depends where in the world you are and upon a few other weird and wonderful variables that we don't need to really understand.

So do not create in your mind a direct link between motor angle and Satellite position.

You have shown you are capable of doing this, so please don't give up on the very last lap!

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Do however consider at some point, changing the 'L type' to a TK arrangement, especially if supporting a 110cm.

jsansom

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 1.1 mtre dish
My Location
private
I have reset the motor to 52 degress on the side latitude and tightened it and set dish elevation to 29.5 ish but I just cant seem to get it to work across the arc ie i find thor 1 with £15 cheap signal tester but cant get that to give a great signal it finds the satellite but i can not go below the 2db on the tester (it goes upto 8) smallest movents in all directions just get 2 max, my receiver shows 20-25% signal however when i do a channel scan after about 72% into the scan it finds the thor channels goes to 77% signal then back to 23% and completes scan cahnnels work .Then if i move the satellite via the receiver to a different one like 28.2e its out no channels no signal, i got back on the roof and have to adjust the dish elevation to 32 degrees to find 28.2e and that now works but the rest will not work im lost !
It seems i just need to get a strong signal from thor 1 but there is no way unless the dish needs to go higher? but that seems ok from my photo's?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Right, re check motor inclination.

Take a close up picture of the motor bracket.

jsansom

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 1.1 mtre dish
My Location
private
_http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd244/jsansom007/100_0742.jpg

Attachments

• 100_0742.jpg
    100_0742.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 67

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Please don't link to image hosting sites. I have now unparsed the above URL and in addition uploaded the image.

jsansom

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 1.1 mtre dish
My Location
private
satelliteman said:
Please don't link to image hosting sites. I have now unparsed the above URL and in addition uploaded the image.

ok sorry won't happen again

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not sure if it's my eyesight, but the setting on latitude looks like it's close to 55 degrees, but regardless of that, unless you can find your due south satellite, it is pointless driving the motor to find other satellites and scanning. All you are doing is filling your channel list with bad information which will require deleting.

Zero the motor using the send to reference command, then send your motor to either 5W or 1W and align the assembly.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
rolfw said:
Not sure if it's my eyesight, but the setting on latitude looks like it's close to 55 degrees
Pretty difficult to see with that picture but the marker is pointing at 48º.

Edit: no I'm wrong. The figures on the bracket count down 65, 55, 45, so it is pointing around the right elevation.

jsansom

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 1.1 mtre dish
My Location
private
yeah its on 53 as my latitude is 52.9 for Gloucester, i will delete all the channels then try again tomorrow but cant see how im going to improve anything yet as all i find is a weak signal for the 1w or 5w i must have something wrong somewhere but thats where im stuck ... thanks for help ill try again tomorrow but not home until 7pm from work.
Regards
J

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Not a big difference but dish pointer is indicating a Latitude of 51.8667°

52.9° directly North would place you in Stoke-on-Trent.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Huevos said:
Pretty difficult to see with that picture but the marker is pointing at 48º.

The degree markings go 25, 35, 45, 55, they are not marked at 30, 40, 50.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
rolfw said:
The degree markings go 25, 35, 45, 55, they are not marked at 30, 40, 50.
Yes, I got confused, the resolution of the picture isn't great.

jsansom

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 1.1 mtre dish
My Location
private
Yes sorry im confusing myself its not 52.9. I will take a better picture tomorrow as well but its set to 52 degress definately on the motor latitude setting. I just cant get a good signal on Thor so have something wrong somewhere...

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Use 11.325h, 24500, 7/8 - Gospel Channel