Andrews 1.8m on its way on monday

martz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Thomson Sky+ PVR3, Pace 2200 Sky box, Zone 1 Triax minidish with Thomson Quad LNB, 1m Gibertini and Technomate TM-1500CI+ Super (Patched) 1metre Gibertini at Astra 1 19.2°e
My Location
Barnet, North London
what exactly does the depolariser do? do you have to get a left hand or right hand circularly polarised lnb?

Hitchcock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
The depolarizer enables you to use any regular (flange) linear LNB to catch all the signal. More detailed info here (#5 and #8).

A circular feed can catch both Left and Right hand circular polarizations at the same time (just like a linear feed can catch both
Horizontal and Vertical polarizations at the same time).

R

Rd100

I have two ku bands andrews feed horns ku-band linear (H&V) feed horn (part number 611-6060-07) and a andrews KU-band circular (L&R) feed horn (part number 6116060-17) see the link below see the three feed horn in the pic the one on the right hand side with the little hood on it that is the Right & left hand circular feed horn they are smaller than linear H&V feed horns which you can see on the left hand side in the pic

http://www.andrew.com/search/BN_PA-100533-EN.aspx

And i also have a proper voltage switching R&L circular universal lnb

I also have a andrews c-band feed horn on order

http://www.andrew.com/search/BN_PA-100530-EN.aspx

I never used a depolarizer its best to do it the proper way useing a r&l circular lnb and ifyou did use a depolarizer you would still need a R&L circular feed horn as R&L circular ku-band feed horns are diffrent than linear H&V hu-band feed horns. If you already did not know that

Hitchcock said:
The depolarizer enables you to use any regular (flange) linear LNB to catch all the signal. More detailed info here (#5 and #8).

A circular feed can catch both Left and Right hand circular polarizations at the same time (just like a linear feed can catch both
Horizontal and Vertical polarizations at the same time).

R

Rd100

Unpacked the dish all is fine put the pole in just have to wait a few days for the Concrete to set now which is ok as i will take a day off on thursday to install it

Hitchcock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rd100 said:
I have two ku bands andrews feed horns ku-band linear (H&V) feed horn (part number 611-6060-07) and a andrews KU-band circular (L&R) feed horn (part number 6116060-17) see the link below see the three feed horn in the pic the one on the right hand side with the little hood on it that is the Right & left hand circular feed horn they are smaller than linear H&V feed horns which you can see on the left hand side in the pic

http://www.andrew.com/search/BN_PA-100533-EN.aspx

And i also have a proper voltage switching R&L circular universal lnb

I never used a depolarizer its best to do it the proper way useing a r&l circular lnb and ifyou did use a depolarizer you would still need a R&L circular feed horn as R&L circular ku-band feed horns are diffrent than linear H&V hu-band feed horns. If you already did not know that

I did not know that, but thanks for telling me. I do not understand why a feedhorn for picking up R&L circular needs to be any different (apart from maybe having a dialectric plate inside) from a feedhorn picking up H&V linear, but I guess Channel Master must have their reasons.

Also, I thought the signal coming out of a R&L circular feedhorn (or feedhorn + depolarizer) would be linear/depolarized (see SMW link above) so a normal (linear) flange universal LNB could be attached. The only other possibility I can think of is that the R&L circular feed does no depolarizing (no dielectric plate) of its own so the LNB has to (integrated depolarizer), so you might then call such an LNB a circular universal LNB (as opposed to just universal LN:cool:.

I think if you put two depolarizers (e.g. R&L circular feed with dielectric plate / 1st depolarizer + circular LNB / 2nd depolarizer), then the second one will throw back out half the signal ...

Anyway, hope your install goes well & thanks for sharing the details with us so far here on the forum.

Orthoclipse

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
Hitchcock said:
I did not know that, but thanks for telling me. I do not understand why a feedhorn for picking up R&L circular needs to be any different (apart from maybe having a dialectric plate inside) from a feedhorn picking up H&V linear, but I guess Channel Master must have their reasons.

There is a type of CP feedhorn which has two internal probes at right angles and the signal is delayed by 1/4 quarter wavelength between them. This feedhorn usually gives 1-2dB more signal than a linear feed with dielectric plate.

Rd100 said:

@Rd100 Do these feedhorns have WR75 flanges? Is there an option for adding a polariser or are they designed for reception of only one polarity?

R

Rd100

Yes they are wr75 flange, I will not be useing the KU-band R&L circular feedhorn i will just use the KU-band linear H&V feed horn as thats all i need but i will be useing the c-band feed horn to play about with i just need a c-band lnb now:)

You are correct what you say about gaining the extra signal with the Circular r&l feed horn

Orthoclipse said:
There is a type of CP feedhorn which has two internal probes at right angles and the signal is delayed by 1/4 quarter wavelength between them. This feedhorn usually gives 1-2dB more signal than a linear feed with dielectric plate.

@Rd100 Do these feedhorns have WR75 flanges? Is there an option for adding a polariser or are they designed for reception of only one polarity?

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
hows it going, you got the dish installed yet . will be interesting to see what you can pickup with it

R

Rd100

not yet waiting for the base to fully dry out i will be putting the dish on sunday as thats the only day i got time this week
wod said:
hows it going, you got the dish installed yet . will be interesting to see what you can pickup with it

Hitchcock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
How many days has your concrete been setting?

Hitchcock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rd100 said:
... lucky i got the guys next door to dig me a nice hole in the garden yesterday as next door are haveing work done on there garden and they have a mini jcb on hire save a lot of digging
smile.gif

That must have been some big hole, did you take any photos (JCB digging hole, concrete being poured in ...)? :)

R

Rd100

No but they have forwarded some work to me in the past in my area, I use to run a satellite shop but now i work for arqiva & sis and do some work now and then for ntl broadcast i do my work for them on a self-employed basis I still install satellite dishes for people but do it as a working hobbie and do not mind helping people out

Likvid said:
Are you the owner of Wizardsatellite?

R

Rd100

The hole was about 1.7m deep it was only a min-jcb that next door has on hire as they are haveing work done we made the concrete on a wooden board next to the hole and just scraped it in bid at a time, I did not take any phontos as i do not have a digi cam just a normal aps cam,

Hitchcock said:
That must have been some big hole, did you take any photos (JCB digging hole, concrete being poured in ...)? :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Why's the dish called an Andrews, or was it previously owned by someone called Andrew?

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
there really channelmaster dishes but the company got taken over and is now called andrews i think

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
wod said:
there really channelmaster dishes but the company got taken over and is now called andrews i think

Ah, ok, so in theory my old Channel Master 60cm dish is now an Andrews dish??? :D

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
in the pic on the pdf seems you cant motorise the 1.8m dish as you would get some satellites in on that

the 1.8m dont seem that expensive at around 300 quid but theres a difference between that and the 2.4m as i bet you would have loved to get the 2.4m dish