My Satellite Setup
Humax HD Freesat
Gibertini 150 cm dish for Astra 2D.
Technomate TM-1500 CI+ viewing Astra 2, Astra 1 and Hotbird
Sky receiver for FTV channels.
My Location
Copenhagen - Denmark
BBC will soon be moving to Astra 2D, read here:

The BBC is to 'go it alone' on digital satellite. From 30 May it will broadcast its eight TV channels unencrypted, thus by-passing the BSkyB conditional access system.

The unexpected announcement (12 March) means that digital satellite viewers in the UK will, in the future, be able to receive the BBC channels without a Sky viewing card, and through any make of digital satellite receiver. Current and future Sky subscribers will still be able to receive all the BBC's services. The BBC is not renewing its carriage agreement with BSkyB, said to be worth £85 million over 5 years. In future, all eight channels will be broadcast on Astra 2D, without encryption. 2D has a much tighter footprint, avoiding the issues of 'overspill' into Europe which concerned English-language rights owners.

The BBC says that the decision was triggered by two events. Firstly, the BBC's five year contract with BSkyB for conditional access ends in May, so alternative options can be considered.

Secondly, by moving all the BBC's services to the Astra 2D satellite, whose signals are tightly focused, the BBC can limit broadcasting principally to the UK. This removes the need to encrypt for rights purposes.

However, to ensure that satellite viewers continue to receive the right regional version when they watch BBC ONE or BBC TWO, the BBC will need a one-off change from Sky, for which it has offered to pay a fair price, including a profit margin. This involves a simple adaptation to the EPG software which allows the viewer to select the regional service they want so they always get 'their' BBC ONE or BBC TWO.

However, if this is not achieved, the BBC says that it will still go ahead with broadcasting its services unencrypted on DSAT.

BBC Director-General Greg Dyke said: "This is an important decision for the BBC which will save us a considerable amount of money. It will also bring new benefits to viewers right across the country, will broaden the appeal of digital satellite and enable as many people as possible to get the BBC's digital channels.

"For the first time ever, all the BBC's regional and national services will be available to viewers right across the UK. This means that a Scot living in London can get BBC ONE Scotland, or a native of Yorkshire, living in Cornwall could watch regional programmes from their home region."

Both the BBC and Sky were quick to deny reports of a feud or that Sky executives were 'furious' about the news. "This is not a campaign against Sky - far from it, said Greg Dyke . "I don't blame Sky for any of this, it's their job to make as much money as possible and it's our job to make sure that our programmes reach as many of the people who pay for them as possible."

A Sky spokesman, who described relations between the organisations as 'cordial' added "Digital satellite is an open platform so channels can choose whether to broadcast unencrypted or take up Sky's offer of conditional access services on fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory terms. The BBC's proposals mean that all digital satellite viewers would continue to receive its channels and Sky looks forward to negotiating charges with the BBC for the technical services it is requesting."

One consequence of the news is that it will open up a genuine Free-to-Air market on digital satellite, creating a new market for 'non-Sky' set-top boxes.

Expat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HD Freesat
Gibertini 150 cm dish for Astra 2D.
Technomate TM-1500 CI+ viewing Astra 2, Astra 1 and Hotbird
Sky receiver for FTV channels.
My Location
Copenhagen - Denmark
OK I could live without ITV, but NOT the BEEB! It is now time for me and you others to get a much bigger dish, so let's here your reception news!
The BBC move should keep this thread going for some time yet!
Will ITV move to the other Astra satellites?

skyoutUK

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8m, Lenson Heat 80cm triple feed 13° 19° & 28°, Triax TD110 with Jeager SuperJack, sky+ Pace v2, Panasonic TU-DSB20, Humax 5400, no name FTA and heap of old analogue receivers
My Location
right next to the big dish
barney thanks for reply,
I was surprised to read you have problems with 3m dish on 2A here it's ok even with 60cm dish.

Regarding BBC I'm skeptical thay are going FTA they will be facing many legal challenges from rights holders not only in europe but in UK itself far in excess of 85mil, I suspect it's just negotiating tactic to get a better deal from sky but still there is good chance they will move to Astra 2D same as ITV did before they launched on sky as I remember they were also planning to go FTA than at last moment agreed with BskyB.

As many others here now I'm looking for a bigger dish, what are your experiences with big dish and strong signals from 2A and 2B is there any overloading?

Reaction score
My Location
Napoli
Hi Barney......
I am south of you, near naples
I can report the following conditions for $ky reception here:

(based on various installations I have performed)

80cm solid dish
pan 30
30m cavo
0.7 cdpuz lnb

all channels 24/7 EXCEPT 2D.......

1m solid
pace2200/2500
30m cable
0.7 cdpuz

Basically, based on 100+ installs a 1m dish with any box (except old amstrad + grundig boxes) and any old cheapo lnb gets everything except 2D

I am suprised that your 3m dish is giving you problems, though i have noticed that oddly in Latina a 1.25m dish is needed for northern beams

i had hoped that 3m would be enough for 2D here......

may I ask about where you got it and cost etc as there are a lot of us here about to lose BBC (sob)

Ps what is the snow like there? I am thinking of one last ski next weekend.

dave

boogers

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Berlin
Hi there from Berlin

Please help!!

Due to the Beeb's decision to swap over to 2D, I now find myself, like many others out there, with the prospect of having to get a bigger dish.

At the moment I'm getting everything apart from 2D with the following equipment here in Berlin:

A camping dish! Cassegrain 41cm from Zehnder with 0.6dB integrated LNB, a Pace 2500 Digibox and 5 metres bog standard digi cable.

I am looking to replace things (everything if necessary!) and am looking for some sound advice. If anyone can do the honours, I'd be eternally grateful!

D

Deleted

Has anyone had any success at all at all with receiving 2D in Berlin? I did once try with my 1m Triax pointing square in the correct direction, but did not get a hint of a ghost of a signal on 2D frequencies, but I do remember reading of someone who got a useable signal, but with a far larger dish.

Also, does anyone know if the Beeb intends to shift its radio channels to 2D as well?

In the days of the DDR, the Dresden region and the extreme south-east of the country were the only areas not able to receive terrestrial West German televisio. These areas were known as "der Tal der Ahnungslosen" - the Valley of the Clueless. Looks like the Beeb intends to apply that epiphet to most of Europe....

Yes, there's always BBC Prime, which has the advantages of being a) on Hotbird and 2) legally subscribable, but compared with the 8 BBC channels on Astra 2x it's not much compensation. Perhaps Aunty could be persuaded to add Prime 2 and Prime 3 and Prime 4 and Prime News and Prime CBBC and Prime Beebies (I think we can dispense with Prime Parliament...).

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I believe that Mark, mljgmljg, is looking at getting a 1.2 metre dish for 2D reception in Berlin, he mentions it in This thread

barney

Reaction score
Originally posted by splodgethemanky
Hi Barney......
I am south of you, near naples
I can report the following conditions for $ky reception here:

(based on various installations I have performed)

80cm solid dish
pan 30
30m cavo
0.7 cdpuz lnb

1m solid
pace2200/2500
30m cable
0.7 cdpuz

Basically, based on 100+ installs a 1m dish with any box (except old amstrad + grundig boxes) and any old cheapo lnb gets everything except 2D

I am suprised that your 3m dish is giving you problems, though i have noticed that oddly in Latina a 1.25m dish is needed for northern beams

i had hoped that 3m would be enough for 2D here......

may I ask about where you got it and cost etc as there are a lot of us here about to lose BBC (sob)

Ps what is the snow like there? I am thinking of one last ski next weekend.

in what part of Naples are You? can you tell me what a 0.7 cdpuz lnb is? Have you ever noticed if during the day the signal goes up or down? If you are interested in the 3m dish the technician is a friend of mine and he lives and has a shop in Tivoli I will send you his address Do you know anyone in Abruzzo who has sky? We had snow in the mountains last Saturday but we live near the beach where do you go skiing at Roccaraso or Passolanciano?

dave

barney

Reaction score
Originally posted by skyoutUK
barney thanks for reply,
I was surprised to read you have problems with 3m dish on 2A here it's ok even with 60cm dish.

Regarding BBC I'm skeptical thay are going FTA they will be facing many legal challenges from rights holders not only in europe but in UK itself far in excess of 85mil, I suspect it's just negotiating tactic to get a better deal from sky but still there is good chance they will move to Astra 2D same as ITV did before they launched on sky as I remember they were also planning to go FTA than at last moment agreed with BskyB.

As many others here now I'm looking for a bigger dish, what are your experiences with big dish and strong signals from 2A and 2B is there any overloading?
there has not been a big difference between a 2.4m and 3m dish signal still comes and goes infact if we move the lnb or dish we lose some channels and see others. the bigger the dish there is more over loading, the offset works better. It is also hadder to alline, and with the slightest movement you loose it. I think there is a hole where I live.

Reaction score
My Location
Napoli
Hi barney,
I am 20km north of naples, on the coast , lago patria
cdpuz is a make of lnb available in most shops here, 0.7db is the quoted noise figure, they are cheap, about 15euro
Around 2-6pm (local time ) is the worst here, 'tho in Latina 6-8pm is the worst time, with occasional losses of northern beam on weak digiboxes
we would only want a 3m dish if we know it will get 2D..but we need one to test........catch 22!

I don't know anyone in Abruzzo who has $ky

I have had a look on www.satmania.com , they have a dish size calculator which suggests that you should have no problems (except 2D) with a 1m dish, which would tally with what we get here. However they quote a 3m dish for 2D in Venice...which sounds a bit large! I had to put Aquila as your location as that was all there was in the database

I plan to go near Roccorasso, Pescasseroli or Passo Godi? (scanno)

Thanks
Dave

barney

Reaction score
Hi Dave,
thanks for reply.
Im on Adriatic sea, 50 Km south of Pescara.
i have the best signal (50%stre+50%quality) from 6.00pm to 9 pm.
During the day i have on Plus+C4+Sportnews 20%stre+20%quality.
i have tried a 120 cm, a 240 cm and now 300 cm.
With a 120 i can get the signal only from 6.00 pm to 9.00 pm.
Now same channel all day, and the low frequency es 11778. 11856 only from 6.00 to 9.00 pm.

If you want try my 240cm is ready for you!!!!!

Now i want to get astra 2D.

The sun eating the snow on Pescasseroli!!!!!
Ciao

Reaction score
My Location
Napoli
hi barney,
may I ask what make of digibox you are using?
Also, who installed your dishes for you?
A 3m dish must be a major undertaking!
Dave

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Hi Barny,

There should have been a substantial differance with the 3.0 mtr from the 2,4 mtr.

The gain differential should be approx 2 DB a 3db gain is equal to a doubling in recieved signal strength.

I would have expected some interesting results at your location as we discussed previously.

Regards

Old Satellite

barney

Reaction score
Originally posted by splodgethemanky
hi barney,
may I ask what make of digibox you are using?
Also, who installed your dishes for you?
A 3m dish must be a major undertaking!
Dave

Ciao,
i've a panny 30 with 40 mt of cable.
Lnb is MTI 0.6 APTW 8...., the best for our area.
Now i have regulated the skew in a position taht i can see all the day, the ferquency of 12148,12226 and 12168.(20%str+20%quality)
For the others no signal, ok only from 6 to 9pm.
i think a cross-polation of frequency from 2a-2b-Notrh and south, plus Eurobird.
Usually(from 6 to 9pm) i want to move the dish for lose eurobird (es SmashHits) and the signal from 11778 or 11856 are ok.

BIG TROUBLE.

What i can i do???????

fisherzone

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
It seems that to receive Astra 2D transmissions in my region, south of Alicante, I need a minimum dish size of 1.9 mtrs. Can anyone tell me whether it would be possible to utilise 2 x 1.1 mtr. dishes to acheive the same effect? If so, can they be set up independently and cabled together, or both directed at the same LNB?

John.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Although that method is used on occasions for domestic terrestrial reception in fringe areas John, I don't believe that it is feasible for Ku band satellite reception, at least not on the domestic level.

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
A good idea,but almost impossible to merge the two signals without phase sincronisation equipment costing thousands of pounds

skyoutUK

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8m, Lenson Heat 80cm triple feed 13° 19° & 28°, Triax TD110 with Jeager SuperJack, sky+ Pace v2, Panasonic TU-DSB20, Humax 5400, no name FTA and heap of old analogue receivers
My Location
right next to the big dish
barney,

did you try to check the signal with new and shorter cable connected directly to digibox? On some installations I've done near the coast I noticed that after 6-10 months cable can be damaged from water ingress, sun and salt from air and on 30+meters this can seriously interfere with the signal and usually damage is not obvious until you check with instrument. I know this is a simple thing but sometime it helps.

I have calculated that for my position I need dish same size as in Ancona if somebody from thereabouts managed to get Astra 2D please let me know.

barney

Reaction score
Ciao,
last year i have tried to connect my digibox under the dish.
I buyed the CT100, 5 mt, in Manchester.
the result is worse, while in my house was ok.
i think very stronght signal swamp the other.
Reading on a forum, martin P. say to try a long cable for have a good signal from low frequency.
Tomorrow i try and after report on test.
Bye

V

VVCB

Originally posted by Expat
----------------------------------------------------------------------
ASTRA 2D/ITV UPDATE - FEBRUARY
SPAIN

Alicante (NO ASTRA 2D)
1.2 m Dish
Panasonic 30
LNB 0.7db

Alicante
1.2m Channel Master dish
LNB Cambridge 0.7db
Astra 2A north beam lose in the afternoon.

Ibiza
1.3m Dish
Lose of Astra 2D from 7pm til morning.

Hi. Does anyone know if 2D can be received in Ibiza and what size dish is required. I know lost of expats who have paid dearly for systems to receive Astra south & north beams on 2A/B.
2D looks impossible. Please Help!
:confused :confused :confused

Edited out most of the quote as it wasn't relevant, if the whole of previous posts are quoted when not necessary, the forum bandwidth will disappear rolfw Admin.