ASTRA 2D BBC & ITV RECEPTION

mikethebike

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Midway between Florence and Bologna, Italy
I've just joined this forum and am having similar experiences to everyone else. We live between Bologna and Firenze and have a 1.2 M dish, Panasonic 20, fat cable, 0.5dB LNB (I think).

We've been getting ITV reasonably, i.e. it fades in the evening, better recently I must say. The BBC now is much worse, and it takes very little to kill the signal. Last night ITV was fine, BBC was useless, so either the beams differ slightly or the BBC power is reduced. Placing my arm across the dish kills the signal completely, so it must literally be just on the verge. I'm about to get a 1.8M dish (more than twice the area) since we'd have problems without the beeb and it's too patchy to be useful just now.

What a crazy situation we're in (the expats that is) in that we now have to pay to buy more sensitive equipment to watch something we "shouldn't" be watching, instead of paying the Beeb extra to watch it legitimately!

anthonyr

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Well I wasn't very interested in the technicalities of all this until yesterday when BBC went off - and now I am learning exponentially. I have a large dish (1.5 or 1.8) and have never got ITV. Going to try some things now and also get all the right techinical info so that if I get it working I can pass it on. I am just going to play with the frequencies in the meantime - any hints for this rookie?

puffin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 150 with an Inverto Black Ultra and a Pace 2600C1
My Location
Borlänge 200km WNW of Stockholm
Originally posted by Maxi 1
Puffin Are you sure about the 2D siganal as I know I cant get this as there is no ITV.

My location is Gothenburg, however as BBC is still available it seems taht the Astra north beam is still active and not the south beam so perhaps you may be confused.

If you can get the ITV channel then you have 2D if not then you can not get it.

Maxi 1

Hi Maxi
Yes I'm sure that I can recieve 2D. The horizontal trsp goes in clear (ITV, Hallmark) unless it rains heavily. The vertical trsp are JUST under the treshold. On ITV2 and the Sky travel channels I can get a picture under PERFECT weatherconditions with pixilation. If there is any cloud the vertical trsp goes. I will get back when I finally get the time to set my 1,2m Channel Masters dish.

Cheers
Puffin

puffin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 150 with an Inverto Black Ultra and a Pace 2600C1
My Location
Borlänge 200km WNW of Stockholm
It feels like the signal on the transponder BBC use is a bit stronger than the other 2D's. That could be the explanation that some still have BBC but no ITV.

Cheers
Puffin

sanjoo

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Any suggestions for the right equipment for getting BBC in Trieste, Italy (bordering Slovenia).

Thanks a lot!

V

VVCB

2A is still transmitting BBC for another week. To access the channel you must go to SERVICES - SETUP - ADD CHANNELS
The BBC TV services are on 11.719 H and Radio on 11.798 H
Follow the procedure on screen to Find Channels - select and save.
Then view via Services... Other Channels ... select.

This will only work until the transponders are switched off, about May 28/29. At least you'll get an extra week in which to get sorted.a)(2

ugania

Reaction score
My Location
pj::Bulaggna
Here,in Bologna,Italy,after a day of this new situation i can say that with my 130 cm dish, and a Sharp lnb, the BBC channels behave exactly like the itv channels before,perfectly watchable from early in the morning till 10 0r 11 o' clock at night when sometimes the image becomes now and then a pop art picture. And as I said before strangely it happens only in the good season,we had a perfect reception even at night in winter,so the main problem is that if I want to tape a film or a show after 10 ,we'll not be shure about the result. I'm shure that with a 150 cm .no problems at all (but I have to say that not everybody own a terrace on the roofs like me where I am free to do everything I intend to do,including full sunbathing)

Reaction score
My Location
Napoli
From VVCB
2A is still transmitting BBC for another week. To access the channel you must go to SERVICES - SETUP - ADD CHANNELS
Thanks VVCB, I found the channels on the given freqs and added them to 'other channels' etc but when I select them from the other channels menu i get no signal, I assume the box is automatically selcting the 2D freqs, does anyone know a way round this?
I am using a panny 30, does anyone elses other boxes also do this?

splodge

newboy1192

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
getting exactly the same on my GRUNDIG box. I can locate the channels, but after adding them, when i go into other channels i am unable to open them up, any ideas or suggestions?

Threepwood

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Rome, Italy
Originally posted by expat2
I already called my installer Alberto (is one of the best in Rome) and Saturday morning we'll try at his shop with a 1.50 dish. we'll see what happened.
Hi Expat2,

I'm afraid that the bare minimum for Rome is going to be 3.8 meters. Although we might have to go all the way to 4.2 :eek: to get a strong signal at all times...

Lew

Reaction score
Website
www.liamclark.com
My Location
Madrid
I've just lost my BBC channels and would like to know if anyone in Madrid can receive from Astra 2D. If so, what's your dish size.
I've a 1.2m dish with a Pace box.

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
Did you get ITV before?........what model is your pace box?

nomax

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
What's the best FTA channel for a test on Astra2D? I'd like to know if I'll be able to receive the BBC with my current antenna when it'll switch to FTA in July. Thanks.
Nomax

barney

Reaction score
Originally posted by ugania
Here,in Bologna,Italy,after a day of this new situation i can say that with my 130 cm dish, and a Sharp lnb, the BBC channels behave exactly like the itv channels before,perfectly watchable from early in the morning till 10 0r 11 o' clock at night when sometimes the image becomes now and then a pop art picture. And as I said before strangely it happens only in the good season,we had a perfect reception even at night in winter,so the main problem is that if I want to tape a film or a show after 10 ,we'll not be shure about the result. I'm shure that with a 150 cm .no problems at all (but I have to say that not everybody own a terrace on the roofs like me where I am free to do everything I intend to do,including full sunbathing)

Very good UGANIA,
MONDAY WE TRY TO SET UP MY 3 MT DISH FOR ASTRA 2D.
REPORT ASAP.
HOW ARE YOU?
BARNEY

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
@ Nomax, have a look HERE, but there isn't much that is free to air, you should get a signal reading from the transponder though.

Lew

Reaction score
Website
www.liamclark.com
My Location
Madrid
I've never been able to receive ITV, have always picked up C4 and have had occasional problems with C5 breaking up in the evenings. BBC was crystal clear.

I have the following box.

Make : Pace
Model Number : BSKYB 2400

nomax

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks Rolfw, do you think that receiveing "Going Places" could be a good indication that I'll also be able to get the BBC or is the BBC signal even weaker ?

Nomax

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Its a guide Nomax, but many people appear to have a lot more problems with the vertical transponders, so reception of that one does not guarantee reception of all of the others.

V

VVCB

The add BBC channels problem seems strange.
The channels are still there on Astra 2A being transmitted simulataneously with 2D.
I can only think that both packages have been given the same PID (Package ID) number. So Sky digiboxes will look for the 2D version.

Anyone any tech thoughts. The channels are there to be received ... It works from UK why not the rest of the 2A area.
:confused

DonOne

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Birmingham & Paphos-Cyprus
Originally posted by VVCB
The add BBC channels problem seems strange.
The channels are still there on Astra 2A being transmitted simulataneously with 2D.
I can only think that both packages have been given the same PID (Package ID) number. So Sky digiboxes will look for the 2D version.

Anyone any tech thoughts. The channels are there to be received ... It works from UK why not the rest of the 2A area.
:confused

Does it work in the UK or are you being diverted to the 2D transmission ??

I can confirm that the SID, VPID, & APID are ALL the same on 2D as they are on 2A. Can you over-ride this ???