Astra 2d in Sweden

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Why not upload some photos of the dish and LNB.

kitschcamp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TiVo & Sky/Astra 2D on a 1.8m Andrews dish. Canal Digital on 80cm fixed dish. DM800HD and DM500 on both dishes.
My Location
Eslöv, Skåne, Sweden
Photos would indeed help, but in principle of course I'd be more than happy to help you out.

mikestone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I really have no Idea ! I have a 180 dish and a sky reciever & card and get most of the channels apart from ITV & BBC......but dearly want them ! :)
My Location
Hörby Sweden
Hi guys, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me with this. I will try to get some photos arranged, or as I said before kitschcamp, the nect time you are n Hörby, let me know and I`ll put the kettle on for a cuppa ;)
PS Is there anywhere to "private message" here ?

Regards
MS

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
mikestone said:
PS Is there anywhere to "private message" here ?

Not until you have been a member for some weeks and have sufficient posts. The only exception to that is if posting in the installer wanted section which gets a positive reply from an installer PM's will be activated

t.m

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 metre dish
Amstrad dx90 sky+ h.d box
My Location
stockholm
Hi T.M here
I am living in stockholm and have sky h.d. A good quality 1.2m dish will be sufficient for the job

kitschcamp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TiVo & Sky/Astra 2D on a 1.8m Andrews dish. Canal Digital on 80cm fixed dish. DM800HD and DM500 on both dishes.
My Location
Eslöv, Skåne, Sweden
Only in Stockholm and around there! Here in the south you need a lot larger.

rellstar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 110cm dish
Inverto Universal Quad LNB
Pace 2600 C1 and DS430N Digiboxes
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Hi TM,

Which hd digibox are you using? I am also in Stockholm and have a 1.1M dish and a Pace 2600C1. I am surprised that there are new boxes that will work reliably (signal wise) with such a small dish.

Cheers.

mikestone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I really have no Idea ! I have a 180 dish and a sky reciever & card and get most of the channels apart from ITV & BBC......but dearly want them ! :)
My Location
Hörby Sweden
Ok, I have uploaded a photo to my profile ( hope you can see it ) :)

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
mikestone said:
Ok, I have uploaded a photo to my profile ( hope you can see it ) :)

Erm, nope?

Ecosse

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 120cm, Invacom Quad 0.3, Sky HD.
My Location
Laholm, Sweden
Hi Kitschcamp,

I've just joined the forum and looking for any help possible to get Astra 2D here in Sweden.

I'm not far from you in Mellbystrand. I have had SKY for 7yrs and as with everyone lost the BBC/ITV when they were moved to 2D. I'm in the process of moving house (just a few Km's) and now have a 1.5m dish. My current set-up is using an Invacom Quad LNB and Thompson HD SKY box. This works great for all other channels as you will know but how can i receive the 2D channels? I have tried numerous LNB's and whilst they are certain differences none can get 2D. I have just ordered a Titanium 3rd edition LNB and will test this next week but ultimately the dish is what i need to up-grade!!!!
I have seen in posts that a CM 1.8 (Andrews) would work but would appreciate any feedback before i take the decision as they are approx 9000SEK.

Thanks.

kitschcamp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Eslöv, Skåne, Sweden
Hej! I think you already know the answer.

The Andrews/Channel Master 1.8m dish does a great job and works. A 2.4m cheap and nasty Fortec Star sort-of works, but is easily damaged in bad weather. And it performed worse than the 1.8m CM/Andrews dish when it did work.

I don't see changing the LNB to something other than the Invacom that works so well for everyone is going to benefit you at all. Lots of other people (myself included) have made mistakes and bad purchases, and it always seems to return to CM/Andrews 1.8m and the Invacom Quad C120 as the best solution.

Other solutions will and can work, but you need a lot of effort and a lot of luck! I guess it depends how much you value your time. If I look at the number of days I wasted with the Fortec Star, it was worth spending the money on the Andrews dish. I should have done that first time.

Ecosse

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 120cm, Invacom Quad 0.3, Sky HD.
My Location
Laholm, Sweden
Thanks for the info Kitschamp. Did you buy your 1.8M Andrews in Sweden?

With your A/CM 1.8m set-up can you receive all the BBC/ITV channels 24/7?

I'm also wondering about the Thompson Sky HD receivers ability in these fringe areas.

The main reason for me trying/testing the Titanium LNB was because my cable run is 50m and the Invacom has a low output compaired with the Titanium. When manually setting up the dish im just using a small 2m cable from LNB to receiver and whilst i receive 100% signal and 95% quality im still not getting the BBC/ITV.

I guess im close but not close enough!!!!

Telia

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo PVR 1GB HDD
Channel Master 1.2m with Jaeger SMR1224.
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Ecosse said:
Thanks for the info Kitschamp. Did you buy your 1.8M Andrews in Sweden?

With your A/CM 1.8m set-up can you receive all the BBC/ITV channels 24/7?

I'm also wondering about the Thompson Sky HD receivers ability in these fringe areas.

The main reason for me trying/testing the Titanium LNB was because my cable run is 50m and the Invacom has a low output compaired with the Titanium. When manually setting up the dish im just using a small 2m cable from LNB to receiver and whilst i receive 100% signal and 95% quality im still not getting the BBC/ITV.

I guess im close but not close enough!!!!

Low or high output gain doesn't matter for SNR, you just compensate with an inline amplifier if the gain is too low.

The Thomson DSI8215 which i have is OK for weak signals, i have seen better performing receivers.'

I have a Channel Master (ASC signal) 120cm to receive Astra 2D in Stockholm, Sweden and i get both vertical about 17hrs/day and horizontals 24 hrs/day, but you need a good LNB and a good tuner like VU+ Duo or IPBOX9000HD.

IrishScandie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
65cm dish, was fine, now not.
My Location
Stockholm
Hi guys,looking for some help/advice.

Living in Stockholm and have had SKY for 2 years,we only have a 65cm dish(i think maybe 60) and receive all but (rte,bbc etc) 24/7 with no problems,one or two channels do suffer a little in the heaviest of showers.

Anyway,looking to get this sorted before the start of the World Cup.

Can anybody give me some advice on where best to buy a 120cm dish,from reading it seems either channel master or gibertini are the ones to go with.

Also how easy would it be to just put it in place of the dish that we currently have up? Would we just be burning money paying someone to do it?

I also need a second cable to go into the back of my box for interactive and recordings to work fully,I guess this is very simple to do,my father-in-law is pretty handy so think he could help with that.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated,like I said really want it sorted before World Xup so I can cheer for whoever France are playing :)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Hello IrishScandie

Welcome to the forum, firstly you need a quad lnb and then you can have up to four outputs working independantly of each other. You must remember that whilst a bigger dish will give you more signal strength and quality a bigger dish has to be aligned much more accurately

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
IrishScandie said:
Also how easy would it be to just put it in place of the dish that we currently have up? Would we just be burning money paying someone to do it?

I also need a second cable to go into the back of my box for interactive and recordings to work fully,I guess this is very simple to do,my father-in-law is pretty handy so think he could help with that.

you will need a very strong wall mount for the 1.2m dish especially if you buy a channel master 1.2 dish they are heavy. gibertini do a 1.2m dish in aluminium which is lighter.

lnb wise something like inverto black ultra quad would be a good choice to fit on the dish.

fitting a 2nd cable is straight forward just make sure you make the f connections correctly to screw on to the lnb input.

IrishScandie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Stockholm
Topper said:
Hello IrishScandie

Welcome to the forum, firstly you need a quad lnb and then you can have up to four outputs working independantly of each other. You must remember that whilst a bigger dish will give you more signal strength and quality a bigger dish has to be aligned much more accurately

Thanks.

Why do I need a quad lnb? For the second cable? Can the one cable I have be split perhaps?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
IrishScandie said:
Thanks.

Why do I need a quad lnb? For the second cable? Can the one cable I have be split perhaps?

No they cannot be split, each cable has to carry independant voltages to control the lnb polarity and frequency bands, as twins are not very common these days, a splitter will not work!

IrishScandie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Stockholm
Does this seems like a good purchase? Price-wise? Am I unlikely to get much better?

_http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/3715/dishv.jpg

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Does not seem unreasonable but I am not well up on prices to be honest