Can only get Eurobird not Astra 2A

Kilglass

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Line
My Location
Sligo
I've recently purchased Sky line satelite kit with dishBSky B Digital Zone 2.
I can only pick up stations on Eurobird but am unable to get any of the BBC or ITV on Astra. I scan astra but with no success. Do I need to re-align my Dish or is the problem in setting up my Satelite receiver? I live in sligo nad would be grateful for any positive suggestions.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Can you please post the channels you are receiving, name and frequency.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Astra 2 and Eurobird satellites are co-located, so you shouldn't need to move your dish. Don't know your receiver, but if they have a separate listing for Astra 2 and Eurobird, then you will need to scan them both. If thst doesn't work, then you may need to add the transponder frequencies to Eurobird. You will find them here

PS. Mickha, thinks you may be on the wrong satellite and he may be right. ;) :D

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
list some channels that you have picked up so we can advise further please

Kilglass

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Line
My Location
Sligo
Many thanks for the reply. At the moment I am in Belfast and I will not be back in Sligo until Thursday so I cannot be exact about the programmes. However ones we are definitely receiving are Eurosport; Eurosport News; BBC World and Aljazeera. The rest of the free channels are all non-English speaking and there are many of them. I have of coursed scanned both Astra and Eurobird but cannot find any BBC or ITV channels. I am beginning to think I am on the wrong satellite. Sorry if I cannot be. more precise, the technology is a foreign language to me! If this is not enough information, I will get back to you again when I have more details about on the channels.

rolfw said:
Astra 2 and Eurobird satellites are co-located, so you shouldn't need to move your dish. Don't know your receiver, but if they have a separate listing for Astra 2 and Eurobird, then you will need to scan them both. If thst doesn't work, then you may need to add the transponder frequencies to Eurobird. You will find them here

PS. Mickha, thinks you may be on the wrong satellite and he may be right. ;) :D

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Id agree with the others and say you are on the wrong satellite cluster

If you have a lot of German channels then you are on Astra 1 at 19E, lots of Italian & Arbic services - Hotbird at 13E

Easily done - and easily fixed :)

Kilglass

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Line
My Location
Sligo
Many thanks for the suggestion. I hope 'easily fixed' is just that to someone not particularly technical! Am I really that far off line?
Regards

Analoguesat said:
Id agree with the others and say you are on the wrong satellite cluster

If you have a lot of German channels then you are on Astra 1 at 19E, lots of Italian & Arbic services - Hotbird at 13E

Easily done - and easily fixed :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, you are either on Astra 19.2, 9 degrees away, or Hotbird 13 East, 15 degrees away. If you list some of the other channels, then we can tell you for sure, as the ones you list are on both satellites.

Re-aligning to Astr 28.2 from there is not that difficult, but needs to be done slowly with an eye on the signal strength and quality on the receiver.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Depending on which sat you are on its a case of slacking off the nuts that hold the dish in place and swivelling the dish 2-3 inches to the right as you are facing it, and dropping the lnb half an inch or so

Kilglass

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Line
My Location
Sligo
Many thanks for all your suggestions. I will try to make the adjustments at the weekend and get back to you.

Analoguesat said:
Depending on which sat you are on its a case of slacking off the nuts that hold the dish in place and swivelling the dish 2-3 inches to the right as you are facing it, and dropping the lnb half an inch or so

Kilglass

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Line
My Location
Sligo
I contacted the forum some time ago about my problem with satellite reception.I have a cottage in Sligo Ireland and have just returned. Basically I can get Eurobird but not Astra 2., even thought here is only .5degrees of a difference. I have tried moving it mm at a time, but no luck.
No matter how hard I try I cannot get any stations on Astra 2, at least not the popular BBC and ITV etc. ones. In fact the only ones I can get on Astra2. are at the last ones a long list of channels:

1566 Phoenix
1565 Arte
1564 Eins Plus
1563 Eins Festival
1562 Eins Extra

Strangely enough they are also on the end of the Eurobird list of channels.

909 Phoenix
908 Arte
907 Eins Plus
906 Eins Festival
905 Fins Extra

I have the elevation at 50%. and, I don’t know how significant it may be, but there is a tree in the way. However, it doesn’t interfere with Eurobird.
Have you any more suggestions? It is a topic of great conversation in the local village pub where everybody has a theory - and many of them use the same Sat dish and get all the stations.
Regards

Kilglass

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Line
My Location
Sligo
wod said:
list some channels that you have picked up so we can advise further please
I contacted the forum some time ago about my problem with satelite reception.I have a cottage in Sligo Ireland and have just returned. Basically I can get Eurobird but not Astra 2., even thought here is only .5degrees of a difference. I have tried moving it mm at a time, but no luck.
No matter how hard I try I cannot get any stations on Astra 2, at least not the popular BBC and ITV etc. ones. In fact the only ones I can get on Astra2. are at the last ones a long list of channels:

1566 Phoenix
1565 Arte
1564 Eins Plus
1563 Eins Festival
1562 Eins Extra

Strangely enough they are also on the end of the Eurobird list of channels.

909 Phoenix
908 Arte
907 Eins Plus
906 Eins Festival
905 Fins Extra

I have the elevation at 50%. and, I don’t know how significant it may be, but there is a tree in the way. However, it doesn’t interfere with Eurobird.
Have you any more suggestions? It is a topic of great conversation in the local village pub where everybody has a theory - and many of them use the same Sat dish and get all the stations.
Regards

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Basically I can get Eurobird but not Astra 2. said:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Assuming you are locked on Eurobird, and you haven't got Astra 2 in your sat list you can do the following. Incidentally, it's only 0.3 deg separation co-located with Astra 2 as already discussed.

You could try and add the following transponders and then scan:

10714 H 22000 5/6
10758 V 22000 5/6
10773 H 22000 5/6
10788 V 22000 5/6
10906 V 22000 5/6
:)

bigtee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky; Raven 90 multi-LNB 1W,5E, 7E, 9E, 13E 16E, 19E, 28E; 60cm Triax dish on Moteck SG2100 motor; Various Receivers
My Location
Kent, UK
If you are getting the Eins channels, that means you are on Astra 1, whereas you need Astra 2. Standing behind the dish, you need to move the dish about 1 inch to the left. For the moment you can leave the elevation as it is; when you move the dish to the left and get Astra 2 definitely, you can then adjust the elevation for optimal signal quality.

PS ignore that your receiver currently suggests that you are on Astra2/Eurobird 1; this occurs because different satellites use similar/identical frequencies. As they say, seeing is believing and only when your receiver shows Astra 2 channels (as in the link in the list below) should you believe it.

http://flysat.com/28east.php

Kilglass

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Line
My Location
Sligo
Thanks for the useful information. Does that mean that even though I am getting all Eurobird channels I am not on Eurobird but Astra one. Astra 1 only ofers a few channels. and I used a compass to find the correct bearing. Sorry if I am not explaining this very well!
Thanks again
bigtee said:
If you are getting the Eins channels, that means you are on Astra 1, whereas you need Astra 2. Standing behind the dish, you need to move the dish about 1 inch to the left. For the moment you can leave the elevation as it is; when you move the dish to the left and get Astra 2 definitely, you can then adjust the elevation for optimal signal quality.

PS ignore that your receiver currently suggests that you are on Astra2/Eurobird 1; this occurs because different satellites use similar/identical frequencies. As they say, seeing is believing and only when your receiver shows Astra 2 channels (as in the link in the list below) should you believe it.

http://flysat.com/28east.php

bigtee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky; Raven 90 multi-LNB 1W,5E, 7E, 9E, 13E 16E, 19E, 28E; 60cm Triax dish on Moteck SG2100 motor; Various Receivers
My Location
Kent, UK
The Eins channels are not Eurobird 1 channels; the receiver just thinks they are simply because Eurobird 1 and Astra 1 use similar transponders. If you look in the list in the earlier link, you will see the Eurobird 1/Astra 2 channels; if you look in the list in this link http://flysat.com/astra19.php which is for Astra 1, you will see some of the Eins channels under 12110H.

As for use of compass, the difference between 28e (Astra 2/Eurobird 1) and 19e (Astra 1) on the ground is minimal whereas it is crucial for the reception of the right satellite.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You are not getting any Eurobird channels, in fact after looking at the channels you are receiving, you could be on Astra 23.5 http://www.lyngsat.com/astra23.html http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/kabel.html, This may account for you not getting many channels when you scan Astra 1.

To check this out, do a scan on Astra 23.5 East and see if you pull in a lot more channels.

You need to reset your receiver, then bring up Astra2 in your satellite menu and move the dish a few degrees East.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
You could then:

Select or input 10773 H 22000 5/6 and see what you get.

When you are on Astra 2, you will get BBC 1 London etc...

bigtee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kent, UK
Ah, I forgot about 23e! Still it means that the movement of the dish to 28e should be a very very small one; and moreso that there is probably no urgent need to adjust elevation.

Kilglass

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Line
My Location
Sligo
Thanks again for that explanation. I'll try as you suggest, put the satellite finder on and move it one inch. I take it the tree doesn't enter into the equation!
Will I leave the elevation as it is?
Regards
bigtee said:
The Eins channels are not Eurobird 1 channels; the receiver just thinks they are simply because Eurobird 1 and Astra 1 use similar transponders. If you look in the list in the earlier link, you will see the Eurobird 1/Astra 2 channels; if you look in the list in this link http://flysat.com/astra19.php which is for Astra 1, you will see some of the Eins channels under 12110H.

As for use of compass, the difference between 28e (Astra 2/Eurobird 1) and 19e (Astra 1) on the ground is minimal whereas it is crucial for the reception of the right satellite.