CCTV advice what to install etc,

A

Archive-8

I have a dlink nas. That has a feature in it to do with cameras, but the dlink cameras cost quite a bit of money.

I can buy 2 tenvis cams for the price of the dlink's.

I bet he gets some good pictures on his cameras.

A

Archive-8

Thanks Chris, the unit is upstairs atm and no tv up there and its not Etherneted up so I will have to bring it downstairs to take a look, I will let you know the outcome when I find the time to look :)
Did you sort out the pw issue?

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hi, I bought this today and installed it in the bird house, I can mess about with the focus and get it clear close up, once the summer house is finished I will be installing a few more just for the wildlife,

Is they a way to split the screen on tv without a dvr ? I will be wanting 3/4 cameras recording wont be necessary, but I would like to be able to view all cameras at once ?.
DSCN8652.JPG DSCN8653.JPG DSCN8654.JPG DSCN8656.JPG

A

Archive-8

Hi, I bought this today and installed it in the bird house, I can mess about with the focus and get it clear close up, once the summer house is finished I will be installing a few more just for the wildlife,

Is they a way to split the screen on tv without a dvr ? I will be wanting 3/4 cameras recording wont be necessary, but I would like to be able to view all cameras at once ?.
View attachment 78767 View attachment 78768 View attachment 78769 View attachment 78770
In a nutshell no.

If the cam has a Bnc or phono/scart then it's for plugging into a dvr.

If you have an IP version then yes you can as I have used my ipcams in vlc 4 screens running.

And if it's the ipcam you can also get a Nvr for about £50 to £70.

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
I am looking for a better ip camera.The one that I have is good for the money.But for my purpose I think that I need close up and better focus.
It is dark sometimes in the bird hut. I am working on that.To give you something of an idea what I mean.I am posting a youtube thing that I did today.
Two hours at the bird hut.Hope it works.:)

A

Archive-8

I am looking for a better ip camera.The one that I have is good for the money.But for my purpose I think that I need close up and better focus.
It is dark sometimes in the bird hut. I am working on that.To give you something of an idea what I mean.I am posting a youtube thing that I did today.
Two hours at the bird hut.Hope it works.:)

I like the bird house:) did you buy it?

And there's some 720p and 1080p cams about now for about £50 -£120 depending on its features.

I would have thought something like this might do you.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=271539836443

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=131362321029

All for £35 each

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
Hello chris. No I made it.I made that one two years ago.It has three bird boxes built in.I realise that with birds feeding below I am not likely to get birds nesting in the boxes.I have had wrens in one of the boxes.I think that the answer to my problem is to make another one with Thinner pillars. no bird boxes.I will put the old one elsewhere.I will enjoy doing that.Assuming that we get a summer of course.:)

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
Regarding other cameras.I have looked at many.Even some expensive ones get poor reviews.For £33 mine in not bad.But buying a better one is a bit of a minefield.
So the more members that post there experiences with their cameras the better.
Edit My camera is an SRICam. it looks similar to the one on ebay but different mounting.

Last edited:
A

Archive-8

I have only used tenvis cameras but they are clones of foscam.

I also have a Foscam NVR as well as the Dvr connected to normal video cameras.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Did you sort out the pw issue?

Sorry Chris only just noticed this, no pal not got round to it yet,

In a nutshell no.

If the cam has a Bnc or phono/scart then it's for plugging into a dvr.

If you have an IP version then yes you can as I have used my ipcams in vlc 4 screens running.

And if it's the ipcam you can also get a Nvr for about £50 to £70.

Thanks Chris, the one I bought today can go on the dvr and be moved to a new position, my next buys will be ip :)

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
It looks like I need to do some alterations, the IR is pointing too much onto the bottom of the bird table, I am having to use my garden lights to monitor, I will get a longer cable and move the table central with the lawn while I am at it.
DSCN8658.JPG DSCN8659.JPG

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham

I have to say, looking at your video there, your IR filter is stuck open (so everything looks washed out as the IR light is also entering that would normally be filtered out), whether it's a fault or is designed to be like that, it is a bit of a distraction (well, to someone like me it is!!)... :confused

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
I think that the problem may be that the focus on the camera is on a big dark brown box.I will at sometime take the birdbox off the pole to see if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
You can screw the lens in/out and alter the focus Ray, well you can on mine.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I think that the problem may be that the focus on the camera is on a big dark brown box.I will at sometime take the birdbox off the pole to see if that makes a difference.

I'd say it's the filter is stuck open, they're supposed to flick open when the light gets below a certain Lux level, at about the same time the IR Leds come on, and close again when it brightens up, the colours of everything else in the image looks like some of the examples of IR photography here:

Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_photography

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I like it.:)Thats what I need close up.I think that my camera has a 3.6mm lens.I cannot put the camera nearer so will try a different lens.A 8mm one is £3.99.I will try one of those first.

Please keep us informed Ray, its something I will be tinkering with in the near future:)

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
I noticed that the focus was out a bit, decieded to have a look at it.It dismantles very easily.It is difficult to get the focus spot on.I have found that I can adjust the focus without taking the camera out of the body I can turn the locking screw with long nose pliers.I will be able to set the focus with the camera in postion.Going to get a 6mm lens not 8mm.Going to put it back up now.I expect that the focus will be worse.:)

Attachments

• camera 005.JPG
    camera 005.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 6
  • camera 006.JPG
    camera 006.JPG
    231.8 KB · Views: 5

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I am unsure if its in the video link ive posted up Ray ?, but on one video I watched you can connect it up to pc/software for setting the focus correctly.