Digitalb Sports Problem

Stejc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800, Motorised Triax TD88, 45W to 39E. Digital+ HD subscription, TNTSAT HD Card.
My Location
Southport
I have just setup a motorized system with a 85cm dish and I can get all the channels I want on it fine apart from the ones I really want which are the SuperSport channels from Digitalalb on 16e.

I only get about 38% signal quality on the transponder they are on and while I can add them unless its sunny weather they break up quite abit. On the other digitalalb transponders with the movie channels etc. I get about 50% signal quality and the picture doesnt break up.

On Hotbird and Astra 19E I get around 90% signal quality and other satellites such as 1W, 42E, 30W 5W, 8W I can get at least 60-70% signal quality.

Does anyone have any suggests on why this could be? This dish is only just over 1 story high, does it need to be higher? There is nothing in front of it blocking any signals.

Thanks

Stephen

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi, it could be a number of things that are causing you a problem. Including, dish size/quality,LNB quality,dish alignment or cable length.

The first thing I would try is to ensure that you are on the optimum position on the arc. If using Diseqc nudge the dish left and right a bit and see if you can find a better position.

If using USALS you may be able to edit the satellite position a bit instead, if not you will have to drop down to Diseqc1.2 control so that you can.

Try this first, if it doesn't improve there other things to try before spending any money.

Robbo:)

Stejc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800, Motorised Triax TD88, 45W to 39E. Digital+ HD subscription, TNTSAT HD Card.
My Location
Southport
Robbo71 said:
Hi, it could be a number of things that are causing you a problem. Including, dish size/quality,LNB quality,dish alignment or cable length.

The first thing I would try is to ensure that you are on the optimum position on the arc. If using Diseqc nudge the dish left and right a bit and see if you can find a better position.

If using USALS you may be able to edit the satellite position a bit instead, if not you will have to drop down to Diseqc1.2 control so that you can.

Try this first, if it doesn't improve there other things to try before spending any money.

Robbo:)

Using USALs I can move West or East manually and have tried this but I have got only the slightest improvement in signal quality by doing this (1-2%).

Could my arc be wrong? Its strange that I can receive the other satellites fine if it is though surely?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Don't discount poor quality dishes..........cause of lots of problems on 16e :D

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Stejc said:
Using USALs I can move West or East manually and have tried this but I have got only the slightest improvement in signal quality by doing this (1-2%).

Could my arc be wrong? Its strange that I can receive the other satellites fine if it is though surely?

16E is weaker than both satellites either side of it, and they are only 3 degrees away.
It is thus possible to get the stronger sats but not the weaker ones, for whatever reason (arc not right etc etc)

If you have tried that, then the next step is to see if adjusting the dish elevation gives better results. It would be a good idea to mark your current dish elevation, move the motor to the best postion on the arc, and then adjust the elevation of the dish itself and see if you can improve matters. If you can't, it may be a poor quality dish problem. Which dish is it?

Stejc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southport
Robbo71 said:
16E is weaker than both satellites either side of it, and they are only 3 degrees away.
It is thus possible to get the stronger sats but not the weaker ones, for whatever reason (arc not right etc etc)

If you have tried that, then the next step is to see if adjusting the dish elevation gives better results. It would be a good idea to mark your current dish elevation, move the motor to the best postion on the arc, and then adjust the elevation of the dish itself and see if you can improve matters. If you can't, it may be a poor quality dish problem. Which dish is it?

I tried slightly moving the dish elevation on 16e but might put it back to 1W and try moving the elevation to get the best signal quality on that before moving back to 16e.

Its a transparent dish like the one in this pic, but not mounted on a stand:

cleard.gif

With a titanium 0.2 LNB. Not sure if I can mention the name of the site its from on here though.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Its quite possible the 16E Supersport channels are getting blatted from a strong signal on 13E:

16E - Supersport frequency - 11449H 27500 7/8
13E - Polish service - 11449H 27500 3/4

Notice 3 important things

- the frequency is identical
- the polarity is identical
- the SS fec is 7/8 - theres very little error correction to fix the signal when its gets corrupted

Either swing the dish towards 19E slightly or put a bigger dish up for 16E - the minimum recommended in the UK is normally 1m.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Stejc said:
I tried slightly moving the dish elevation on 16e but might put it back to 1W and try moving the elevation to get the best signal quality on that before moving back to 16e.

Its a transparent dish like the one in this pic, but not mounted on a stand:

With a titanium 0.2 LNB. Not sure if I can mention the name of the site its from on here though.

Yes, for best results in tracking the whole arc, the dish adjustment should only be done at 1W (in your case), but this assumes everything else is correct. But adjusting at 16E is OK just for a quick test, i.e to ENSURE that your dish aligned properly for 16E. If you can get it, then you can discount a dish size/quality etc problem and concentrate on getting the arc better.:)

reaney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Darkbox SD 2008
Alsat 85cm Dish
DigiAlb Gold Package
My Location
Liverpool
Alright mate im in Ormskirk. Ive got an 85cm motorised set up, and am getting 50% on the supersport channels.When the weather is ok i get no picture break up, but when the weather is really bad these dissapear, i think for reliable viewing we will need a 90cm dish.

If your using USALS try Diseqc to fine tune your dish, a better LNB may also add a little bit of signal improvement, other than that there is nothing else you can do other than get a bigger dish.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
i think your problem is the dish as i don't think those clear plastic dishes are as good as a solid metal one

is the dish centered on the motor as this can cause some issues on weaker satellites as well

Stejc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southport
reaney said:
Alright mate im in Ormskirk. Ive got an 85cm motorised set up, and am getting 50% on the supersport channels.When the weather is ok i get no picture break up, but when the weather is really bad these dissapear, i think for reliable viewing we will need a 90cm dish.

If your using USALS try Diseqc to fine tune your dish, a better LNB may also add a little bit of signal improvement, other than that there is nothing else you can do other than get a bigger dish.

Cheers for that getting 50% now as well after a bit of tweaking following the advice given by everyone on this thread.

I've got a 0.2Lnb..is there any better options? Also how much difference can the receiver make, ive got an old Technomate 5500 DACI, would one of the newer ones like the 5400 USB CI+ make any sort of difference with apparently a "super sensisitive tuner"?

Thanks everyone again.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Changing the LNB can bring marginally better performance, the problem is trying to find the one that gives it to you. Seems to be a bit of a trial an error process.

I think Technomate say all their receivers are super-sensitive?:-rofl2

Stejc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southport
Robbo71 said:
Changing the LNB can bring marginally better performance, the problem is trying to find the one that gives it to you. Seems to be a bit of a trial an error process.

Thanks, i'm tempted to get one of these _http://cgi.ebay.com/?ViewItem&item=180255404521 and give it a try.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
if you able to safety work on the setup.

what you could do is gently push the dish down and then up and see if the signal level improves then you know what needs to be done.

reaney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Darkbox SD 2008
Alsat 85cm Dish
DigiAlb Gold Package
My Location
Liverpool
TBH you wont get much better signal thatn you have already, that is what you will expect for our dish size and location.

If DigiAlb would move the sports channels onto the stronger TPs that they have free, we would be much safer in extremer weather conditions.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
If you don't mind spending ten quid for an experiment, go for it. From my experience, some you win some you lose.:) Although in this case, since you have a fellow 'Southportian" on the thread, the odds are probably stacked against you.

add1711

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream Machine 7020Si and 90cm fortec dish
My Location
Newcastle
Are you getting even a bit of a picture ? What satelite are you using?

Stejc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southport
When its sunny I get perfect picture on an 85cm dish..but now there are dark clouds outside i'm getting no signal or regular breaking up on all Supersport channels.

Seems to be better in the afternoon then at night/morning really, not sure why.

add1711

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream Machine 7020Si and 90cm fortec dish
My Location
Newcastle
What satelite are you getting it from. I think i'm having a similar problem. My dish is 90cm, but a dark grey metal. What sort of reciever are you using ? Are you using any cam's to get the channels?

Stejc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southport
add1711 said:
What satelite are you getting it from. I think i'm having a similar problem. My dish is 90cm, but a dark grey metal. What sort of reciever are you using ? Are you using any cam's to get the channels?

I'm using a 85CM dish which is transparent..see picture further up this thread. The receiver is a Technomate 5500 DACI from ebay, its came with an Digitalb sport card which expires in the middle of July I think. I am using a Diablo CAM.

What signal quality % do you get?