Do I need a Linux receiver? If so, which?

TheToad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5m motorised dish on tripod + C120 LNB -
Primarily used for Amos, Sirius and hotbird - hooked up to minidish for freesat
My Location
Leicester, England
I'm looking on world of satellite as suggested and looking at the Vu solo.
it has some offerings for firmware, Official vu+, VixTeam, Blackhole, VTi. Would anybody care to share their experience and recommendations?

Naturally I'll have the wifi options to save me running another darned cable or buying another point onto our power line ethernet.

many thanks again.
Tony

PS. We'll not be asking how to get the footy ... we can't stand footy! :) British FTA and Ukrainian/Russian/Polish channels will be our limit. Unless the wife decides to learn more languages! :)

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
I have a Solo2 and think it's great. I wish you could add internal tuners to it but for the price I don't think you can beat it. I used it for about 20 minutes with the original image and since then have had OpenVIX on it - can't fault it at all.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
looking at the Vu solo.
Solo is getting a bit long in the tooth. Personally I'd go for something more modern that has plenty of resources in reserve for running the latest images.

TheToad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Leicester, England
Vu+ duo just ordered from world of satellite with some optional extras. If the wife finds the bill, you might not see me for a while ... if ever again ... :p

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
I know the feeling ;) I'm wondering at the moment if I can sneak the new 1m Gibi in when it arrives without her noticing.... "What, that? No - has always been that big". What do you reckon my chances are?

Last edited:

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
No need to hide anything here. I've got 6 dishes up at the minute. Biggest is 1.8m.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Thank you huevos, I will take a good look at them with interest:),

TheToad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Leicester, England
Hi All,
Well, the new toy arrived, and I fully disclosed the full cost. She actually took it quite well!

Finally I understand a little more about what a Linux based receiver can do and after getting it set up last night, here's what I've already achieved in addition to the obvious tuning channels. This might be useful for somebody coming and viewing this thread in the future asking 'what does a linux receiver do?'

• Updated software easily and automatically with built in network
  • Had a choice of different skins for the user interface
  • Connected from a browser to the built in server, this allowed me to
    • View the EPG (for those channels transmitting one)
    • View information about the current channel
    • Stream a channel to my laptop through the wifi - and even a different channel to the one being watched on the TV
    • Change the channel viewed on the TV from my PC
    • Send on screen messages to whoever is watching TV
    • Change a very wide range of system settings from my PC
  • Installed Vu+ on my android, allowing me to
    • Stream any channel direct to my phone/tablet (I could open up my firewall and watch from anywhere in the world)
    • Control most features like changing channel, recordings, etc etc from my phone without even being at home
    • View the signal strength from my device - this is going to come in VERY useful when I need to add a new LNB mount to the dish soon - saves the wife shouting out numbers
    • Manage recordings remotely
    • Take a screenshot of whatever is being watched on TV at that moment
There are even plugins to view your email, facebook, google maps and more. I just don't see the need personally, yet ...

And this is just the tip of the iceberg! I'm sure once I get into this a bit more and look at scripting, I'm going to discover a lot more features!

Thank you to everybody for the help!

Tony

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ooh Im impressed with the Vu app - thats very nifty.

Great fun to play with :)

Tururu

Assembled with recycled parts
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm motorised dishes(98x90)+fixed+multiLNB+24Unicable.
Currently 56 satellites, 61°West to 57°East.

Octagon SF8008 4K Twin, VU+Duo², VU+Ultimo4K.
Recycled as the owner.
My Location
North of Madrid (28703 Spain) -3Km of IKEA (40.545847, -3.612012).:-)
  • Connected from a browser to the built in server, this allowed me to
    • Stream a channel to my laptop through the wifi - and even a different channel to the one being watched on the TV
  • Installed Vu+ on my android, allowing me to
    • Stream any channel direct to my phone/tablet (I could open up my firewall and watch from anywhere in the world)
    • View the signal strength from my device - this is going to come in VERY useful when I need to add a new LNB mount to the dish soon - saves the wife shouting out numbers
  • The stream within the network (RJ45 cable / wifi) smoothly from outside are almost 3'5MB / s one SD (more HD) channel and you need a adsl need >1MB up or not work.
    Another option is to use the transcoder option to move lower quality and less data but do not use to have 100/10MB upload.

If you want to see on the road, in the router, open port 80 and 8001 and 8002 to the IP tuner in the phone ==> DreamDroit or the like, instead of the IP tuner creates a new connection name. dyndns (for example) to get an easy connection if you have a fixed IP.
  • Use these tuners to adjust LNB not recommend it, better with an old tuner.
    When you are a long time without signal which hang like Personal computer (PC) with windows.

Love since 2002, especially the channel editor (Enigma1.- 8000, Enigma2.- 12000) .
    PS::-hbbounce
    ------------------
    El stream dentro de la red (cable RJ45/wifi) sin problemas, desde fuera son casi 3'5MB/s un canal SD (los HD mas) y necesitas una adsl que tenga >1MB de subida o no funcionara.
    Otra opcion es usar la opcion transcoder para bajar la calidad y mover menos datos, pero no la uso al tener 100/10MB de subida.

Si lo quieres ver fuera de casa, en el router, abre el puerto 80 y 8001 y 8002 a la IP del sintonizador, en el telefono ==> DreamDroid o similar, en lugar de la IP del sintonizador, crea una nueva conexion nombrexxx.dyndns.org (por ejemplo) para tener una conexion facil si no tienes IP fija.
    Usar estos sintonizadores para ajustar un LNB no lo recomiendo, mejor con un viejo sintonizador.
    Cuando estan mucho tiempo sin señal se cuelgan como cual Personal computer (PC) con windows.

Enamorado desde el 2002, sobre todo del editor de canales (Enigma1.- 8000, Enigma2.- 12000).
    PD: :-hbbounce

TheToad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Leicester, England
Tururu,
Thank you for the info, in particular about the port. That saves me time having to analyse network traffic to figure out which ports are in use!
My outgoing speed is around 18Mb/s so that should just about suffice :)

Does anybody have any links for further information about the Vix or Enigma. The manual that came with the box is 'basic' at best and doesn't cover all the 'wife' functions as I call them.

I'd like to find info about scripting, about the overall system, any APIs,
For now though, I'd settle with knowing how on Earth to put channels into favourites, b*ggered if i can find it!

Tony

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Make channel lists with DBEdit and send them to the box. Much easier than fiddling with the remote control.

But if you must do it the hard way, just go into the channel list, highlight the channel you want to add to favourites and press menu. The rest is obvious.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Just D/l Someone's channel list:) and edit it to your own needs:) all my viewing is through a sky sub my setup is only hobby and for feeds and fringe with the odd football/boxing for me to watch:)

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
If you are using OpenViX just run ABM and it will create a list of favourites identical to a Sky box. i.e. numbered the same.

TheToad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Leicester, England
Thanks again for the replies. DBEdit did the trick and then using the menu button on the channel for those I missed.
It would be difficult for me to use a list the same as a sky box because we don't have sky and don't watch sky channels.
It would also be difficult to download somebody else's list unless they happen to enjoy Ukrainian and possibly Polish channels.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Freesat list from ABM would suit you then. And as channel numbering starts at 101 it means you could put a custom favourites up to 100 channels before this. What image is it?

TheToad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Leicester, England
I've used the Freesat bouquet and selected my region. I've then just done a manual scan on the transponders I need on Amos and Astra 4A
I've got the VIX image

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Toad, make one favourites group for your 4E channels using DBEdit. No other favourites. Then once you have sent it to the box run ABM, and set your favourites list as custom first bouquet in ABM.