Domestic IRS Problems

excollier

Bikes, Booze, Rock & Blues
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD 64 and Humax Foxsat HDR with Raydon's custom firmware
My Location
County Donegal - furthest outpost of the EUSSR
Well, I went back this afternoon, and changed the multiswitch for a new one, but the problem remains, all good input and output readings with the exception of V-high.
I am baffled. It does not make any sense to me why this should be.
The customer says he only gets the occasional drop out on channels that he seldom watches, so what is going on.
I thought it might be my meter but I tried it on my own spare lnb output when I got home and also on the ends of the cables indoors and all was ok all bands and polarities reading well.
Any more ideas? I don't want to leave it in this state.

A nonymous

Reaction score
If its RG6 that could well be causing the issue.

I had a service call at a property in Brixton, London a few weeks back with a very similar issue.

The flats had been cabled with cheap and nasty RG6 including the run from the dish to the head end.

I had issues with horizontal transponder 29 (12266 H) not showing up on my meter at all. I had to refit the connector a few times before it finally came through. crimp connectors, and screw on connectors didn't work so i ended cadging some RG6 snap and seal connectors off one of the Virgin media guys that were working up the street.

Try running a temporary cable from the lnb to the headend to rule this out. Failing that just take the switch to the lnb and connect it up on a small run of CT100 just to rule out the switch.

Also try the switch with just the individual polarities connected up, adding each one at a time taking new readings every time each new cable is connected.

Nano

excollier

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
The V-High reading at the end of the cable from the lnb V-High port is fine (88% PQ on a lacuna Mk iv Sky V High). This is a replacement new multiswitch, but output of V-High varies from output to output (60% on one to 0% on one of the others).
I cannot understand what is going on.
Strangely reception at the receivers is very good, but the number of services found at each location varies (predictably) from 131 down to 107, but on re-installing each box the signal level before searching is 100%.
So what is happening here??

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Have you replaced the cable and connectors ?

excollier

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Which cable and connectors do you mean?

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The cable and connectors that are already in the house

excollier

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sorry I wont be able to change the existing cables in the house, they have been installed by a spark and don't go vertically down to the lower floor, so it would be impossible to pull new ones down to the ground floor.
Any way the problem is occurring at the multiswitch, it is failing to pass the V-high signal only, so I am none the wiser.

A nonymous

Reaction score
Run a wire from the VH of the LNB to the switch, even if you have to run it through a window and up the hall way its just to test.

If it works then its the cable thats installed, and if you didnt install the cable its not your problem :D

If its still the same, its the multiswitch. Just because its new it doesn't mean it works.

Try changing the Multiswitch for a different brand like Vision, Fracarro or Triax.

I have known before switches that work fine on one setup but don't play ball on another setup.

:-beer

Nano

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I would , as a test, remove all the house cables where they are connected to the switch, and try with three lengths of new terminated quality cable run loosely to each point.

excollier

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I already tried this, but the outputs of the switch are not giving V-high, but are strong on the other three bands/polarities so a measurement at the end of an extra run of cable are unlikely to be any better.
Incidentally one of the outputs was giving a 60% PQ reading but 0% on one of the others. This happened on two separate switches, which makes no sense.
I am only a one man, part time installer so I can't afford to go buying any more switches, and then have them lying around when they fail too. Multiswitches are a very rare requirement in this rural part of the world.
The reading from the V-high output of the lnb was fine both at the lnb and at the end of the cable to the switch, which I installed myself, WF100 cable from lnb to switch. That part of the install reads fine on the meter. Only V-high from the switch outputs is a problem.
This points to the switch as far as I can see, but two separate switches? Bought a week apart? The odds are long.

A nonymous

Reaction score
May be long odds but not impossible ones.

I've had loads of problems in the past with Triax equipment, which is why i avoid it like the plague.

Triax also have abysmal aftersales service IMHO. Turn around for faulty parts takes forever.

If the switch is faulty, take it back to the supplier. If its not doing the job it was supposed to do, it is not fit for purpose. I can't see the laws in Ireland being that different to the UKs with regards to trading standards.

:-beer

Nano

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Ah, is it signal you are missing, or certain channels ?

excollier

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
It is signal I am missing, V-high on three outputs of the switch. Oddly most all the channels seem to be there, most of the channels in the V-high frequency range appear to be present and ok....!

Compusat.ie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm 500 x3 Tm600, Sky UK, ............. professional installer and Pc repair
My Location
Ireland
the way I do these and a far cheaper way to do it is to use an octo lnb and individual sat combiners which can be picked up for €4 each. way more reliable and cheaper than the multiswitch route, your issue seems either a cable issue or an incompatibility between the switch and lnb.

D

deleted

why dont you fit an octo to the dish and bypass the switch with barrel connectors to each reciever and see what happens, if ok you can eliminate the cable, sounds like a faulty lnb
do you not have cable tester on your meter, as mentioned by others its elimination process

excollier

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I did say in the start that I have good signal strength on all four bands ( V-High/V-Low/H-High/H-Low) at the lnb, at the ends of the cables from the lnb, all four of them, it is at the switch outputs that the problems start, and the house cables make it worse.

Compusat.ie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm 500 x3 Tm600, Sky UK, ............. professional installer and Pc repair
My Location
Ireland
excollier said:
I did say in the start that I have good signal strength on all four bands ( V-High/V-Low/H-High/H-Low) at the lnb, at the ends of the cables from the lnb, all four of them, it is at the switch outputs that the problems start, and the house cables make it worse.

for 3 feeds a multiswitch is way overkill, sounds like a switch/lnb compatibility issue.

D

deleted

I hear what you say about lnb mate , what i mean is swap lnb with quad or octo whatever you have spare and bypass the switch with barrel cons straight to the stbs then you can tell if the switch is faulty or the cable simples.

excollier

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Compusat.ie said:
for 3 feeds a multiswitch is way overkill, sounds like a switch/lnb compatibility issue.

The house was cabled with only one cable to most of the rooms and the customer wanted a terrestrial feed to those rooms too.
The multiswitch only cost £25 and is a very simple solution, if it works!