Dreambox 8000 for sale yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDW

Reaction score
They are on German websites at 789 euro but is this for sale now or advanced orders only?

_http://www.comtech.de/product_info.php?ref=5&pID=211266&seo=DreamBox-DM8000-DVB-S-HDTV-schwarz

that's about £600? Too rich for me.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Finally. Looks like not before 18th January.
The price is too high, so don't rush to buy it (not that there will be that many)
Within 3-6 months they should go down to 400-450 pounds
After all, an FTA HDTV receiver like Pace DS810XE costs only 100 pounds, there is no justification for this outrageous price.

EDW

Reaction score
HB13DISH said:
Finally. Looks like not before 18th January.
The price is too high, so don't rush to buy it (not that there will be that many)
Within 3-6 months they should go down to 400-450 pounds
After all, an FTA HDTV receiver like Pace DS810XE costs only 100 pounds, there is no justification for this outrageous price.

The Paces can be had for a bit less than that if you look about. £600 is a mickey take. Sod off DMM.

Prodelin

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
Tunisia, Prince Of Persia
Just look at the prices for DM7025, outrageous.

And when it comes to DMM they never lower the prices as they know their boxes sells like butter.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
At the end of the day, you get what you pay for.... and with Dreamboxes i know what im getting ;)

so 799 Euro is a bit steep (£596.71) but i do think it will come down in price.

[TUBE]dAW1HWL-WjU[/TUBE]

satphreak

Reaction score
Website
pricebomb.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ receiver, Triax TDA 110, Technomate TM-2100A motor, MTI AP8-T2n 0.2dB LNB
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
I'm certainly considering getting an AB-COM IPBOX 9000HD (also called CubeRevo) instead: _http://www.abcom.info/Default.aspx?CatID=7&productId=1034

It's considerably cheaper: €549 instead (£410)
_http://www.smartcard24.com/product_info.php?products_id=1691

It should be available from the 18th January (or end of the month) according to information on various sites.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
One thing about the dreamboxes: They keep their price. I bought mine for 192 € including shipping, and they get about 170+ shipping used on ebay...not bad for a 3 year old receiver...but I think the 8000 is too much for me.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
T_G said:
One thing about the dreamboxes: They keep their price. I bought mine for 192 € including shipping, and they get about 170+ shipping used on ebay...not bad for a 3 year old receiver...but I think the 8000 is too much for me.

Hi T_G,

This might be true for the standard products, but HD technology is progressing so fast and prices will go down within just dew months.
Look at what happened to the DVD media (4.7G:cool: within the past three years.
One disc then cost me what I pay now for a box of 10 units.

Lets make it interesting, seeing that you like to bet (looking at your profile, but this time you can only win).
If the price by 1st June 2008 doesn't go down to 450 pounds (including VAT), you will receive 50% of the difference between the price then (1st June 2008) and the 450 pounds.
If for example the price will be 550 pounds, then you will receive 50 pounds
(550-450=100 pounds, and 50% of 100 = 50 pounds)
If the price goes below 450 pounds, then you have no obligations whatsoever. You don't even have to buy it if 450 pounds is still too much for you.
If you are tempted to buy it at any time till then, you still get 50% of the difference in 1st June 2008.
Is it a deal?

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
HB13DISH said:
Hi T_G,

This might be true for the standard products, but HD technology is progressing so fast and prices will go down within just dew months.
Look at what happened to the DVD media (4.7G:cool: within the past three years.
One disc then cost me what I pay now for a box of 10 units.

Lets make it interesting, seeing that you like to bet (looking at your profile, but this time you can only win).
If the price by 1st June 2008 doesn't go down to 450 pounds (including VAT), you will receive 50% of the difference between the price then (1st June 2008) and the 450 pounds.
If for example the price will be 550 pounds, then you will receive 50 pounds
(550-450=100 pounds, and 50% of 100 = 50 pounds)
If the price goes below 450 pounds, then you have no obligations whatsoever. You don't even have to buy it if 450 pounds is still too much for you.
If you are tempted to buy it at any time till then, you still get 50% of the difference in 1st June 2008.
Is it a deal?

Whoaaaa HB :p

As a matter of fact I never gamble on real money, and if I make a bet then it is only for a fiver at the most :-rofl2. This is not because I am tight, it is just the fact that I work bloody hard for my money and I hate giving it away. So I will decline your generous offer, but I will keep this thread in mind and we will look at Dreambox 8000 prices in June.

I must say that even 450 £ is a bit steep for me, I woukld prefer to buy a receiver for about 350-400 EURO, there seem to be quite a few receivers now in this prive bracket.

EDW

Reaction score
Many attacks by cheap clones, will there be. Yeesssssss.

Mickey take, 800 euros is. Yes, hmmm.

Yoda told me.

_http://www.yodaspeak.co.uk/index.php

Prodelin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
800 euro is cheap when you compare to what the Chaparral Montereys costed many years ago, £1500 i beleive the price was??

Anyone ordered from the site above yet?

Prodelin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
It seems the DM8000 and DM800 is on the way out to the shops now.

DMM has updated their newspage and i emailed DMM and they told me the receiver will be out in the shops around 18 January, about a week from now.

_http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/deutsch/news.php

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Prodelin said:
800 euro is cheap when you compare to what the Chaparral Montereys costed many years ago, £1500 i beleive the price was??

I think we've been spoilt with receiver prices too, and whilst the proposed price of the DM8000 is beyond the current 'top-end', the receiver will be too.

I'll be getting one, but I might wait a month or two to see if there are any issues thrown up by the early adopters. €800 would be too much to pay if it had any significant issues.

We've all been waiting far too long for a killer HD box. I'm very excited now!

Humping

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S + motorised 80cm dish, Amstrad DRX550 Digibox + fixed dish
My Location
pj::
Prices fall when products get redesigned and new, lower-cost or more integrated electronic components are incorporated. I don't think Dream will be in any hurry to redesign the DM8000 just yet.

Maybe Dream can hope to wring price reductions from suppliers if production volumes increase as expected. But even if bill of materials drops 10 or 15 % the effect on the final selling price won't be that great.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
I am going to wait until 1st June 2008. By then I expect the price to stabilize to a hopefully better level.
The product's bill of material cost has nothing much to do with the price tag.
This is based on my estimate when I opened the 7000S and was shocked to see how cheap all the parts look, compared to my Nokia 9800S (which has far less functionality, but look first class inside)
The tuner is probably the most expensive part, and also the custom integrated circuits followed by the PS.
All the connectors are standard mass production type.
The company need to make a return on their investment in the design (hardware and software), tests, qualifications and so they put an initial price tag.
If the product doesn't sell like hot potatos, mainly due to stiff competition then they would review their pricing policy and come up with a more attractive offer.
Their mistake was to enter the market a year too late, and sticking a price tag of ~600 pounds isn't going to help them much.

After going over the spec (see post above), I have the following good points:

- IDE and SATA support
- 4x DVB Common Interface slot (No idea what does this mean, but the more the merrier)
- Twin DVB-S2 tuner
- 3x USB 2.0 port
- Mini PCI socket for optional WiFi cards.
- Support for internal DVD device (hopefully to enable DVD recording directly from the HDD *.ts files (assuming that the *.ts format is used)
- Optical and coaxial audio (hopefully this means 2 seperate connectors)

I don't like the fact that they don't have HDMI connector. Only DVI

Remember that for PVR recording of HD channels, the recorded files will be a lot bigger in size than for SD. So your installed HDD should be at least 500GB.

I look forward to go over the manual as soon as it is out so that I can see the whole layout of the connectors and make a plan of integrating it into my present system.

With a twin tuner, does it mean that there will be more connectors for the outputs (video and audio)?
Maybe a read through the 7025S manual will answer this point.

Prodelin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
The DM7025 hasn't dropped in price much since it was introduced.

You have to wait a very long time if you want the 8000 much cheaper than it's going for.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
I wasn't interested at all in the 7025S so I didn't follow if it had any serious competition since it was introduced into the market. I am sure that you are absolutely right.
But the HD receiver competition is going to be fierce over the next few months. Should be quite interesting.
Anyway, I have started a saving plan for the next few months
Spend less on food shopping, walk insted of using public transport, drink less beer (this should hurt).
So by the time I have the cash for the 8000S, I will be a healthier, thinner and more sober person. All thanks to Dream Multimedia.:)

Prodelin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
The difference being that Dreamboxes are always supported by the pirate teams building EMUs and such.

Take CCcam for example, that guy is only doing it for DM because he probably gets paid from them not compiling for any other Linux box.

You can look at all SD boxes with Linux inside, they are all failures in some way because they don't have the software support like DM.

Talking about toys, Dreambox is a toy more than any other receiver out there.

HB13DISH said:
I wasn't interested at all in the 7025S so I didn't follow if it had any serious competition since it was introduced into the market. I am sure that you are absolutely right.
But the HD receiver competition is going to be fierce over the next few months. Should be quite interesting.
Anyway, I have started a saving plan for the next few months
Spend less on food shopping, walk insted of using public transport, drink less beer (this should hurt).
So by the time I have the cash for the 8000S, I will be a healthier, thinner and more sober person. All thanks to Dream Multimedia.:)

cat777

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 1.2m dish
My Location
derbyshire
so the d box 8000 is out, but before rushing and buying one, what image can you put on it? not one out yet

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD PVR+DVD, 80cm Dish, 1.2 Compatible Motor, Quad LNB, Samsung 22" 1080p HD TV/monitor, Yamaha RX-V765 Amplifier, Tannoy Mercury FC Centre Speaker, 2 x Tannoy F1 Custom Speakers, 2 x Tannoy FR Custom Speakers, EPOS ELS Sub Woofer
My Location
Teesside (North East England)
thats because it isn't released until later ths month, try back in 5 days or so and check the dream website then

Status
Not open for further replies.