Status
Not open for further replies.

PKOssie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dm 500s fujitsu seimens laptop
My Location
ellesmere port
hi i'm trying to set up my dreambox 500s i've downloaded pli-jade image onto the box using dream up and scanned for fta channels but the only channels i can receive are ch4, e4,more4,
etc, i cant receive itv bbc or any other fta channels, i've scanned with astra/euro 28.2 east.
cant understand why i'm only receiving a few channels. any ideas thank you

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Not sure why, but it could be that your satellite.xml does not have all the transponders you need. Might be an idea to download from somewhere settings for Astra 28 and use Dreamboxedit to send it to your box. A) It will usually have all the channels :cool: Most likely it will have all the correct transponder info, so next time you scan it will get everything.

You could also try to tick the "network" box in the search menu (not exactly sure where it is, I am at work at the moment), that will take longer but will find more channels.

TG

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi @PKOssie,

The first question is, where did you get your copy of file satellites.xml?
Does it contain all the transponders?

I've attached a copy I've just downloaded from my DM7000S and edited it to contain just 28.2E/28.5E transponders (I assume you have only one satellite but no matter, this will do for now to test). Unzip and then ftp the satellites.xml file to /var/etc (or at least, that is where it is in my Gemini 4.70 image).
Once you have transferred the new satellites.xml to your DM500S, restart Enigma or do a full reboot and then do a rescan. Hopefully you should have all the channels available then.

Good luck, John.

Edit: Sorry T_G I took too long downloading and editing so you got there before me!!
I'm at work too but I have SSH/Dropbear!!

Attachments

• satellitesxml28.zip
    944 bytes · Views: 76

PKOssie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
ellesmere port
thanks for replies i have downloaded satelitesxml28 and dreamboxedit but having problems sending xml28 to dreamboxedit doh!!!!!

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi @PKOssie,

Don't forget to unzip the satellites.xml file from the pkzip archive file satellitesxml28.zip (right click and 'Extract All' or something similar) before trying to send it to the DM500S.
No need to bother with DreamboxEdit just use a standard ftp program and ftp satellites.xml to /var/etc

Best wishes, John.

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
Hi,

I wrote these instructions for Dreamboxedit some time ago (to transfer Settings NOT satellites.xml). Hope these help :-

Start Dreamboxedit.

Select "Open"

In the Select Directory window - from the dropdown list - find and select your settings folder.

Select "OK"

The new settings will appear.

Next, select "Options", then "Profiles", then "Satellite receiver" (at the bottom) - and "Save".

Next in the main window - select "FTP", then "Send files to dreambox".

Finally - when it asks - select "Reload settings on dreambox".

Cheers, pcd.

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi @PKOssie,

If you need a simple ftp program that will easily transfer files to/from your PC & DM500S then here is ws_ftp95. There are far more modern ftp tools available but this one will do the job.
As with the previous file, after download, right click and 'Extract All'. Then double click wsftp95.exe to install. Next, run WS_FTP95.exe, OK the agreement, fill in your DM500S LAN IP address, User Name: root, Password: dreambox and you're away.

Best wishes, John.

Attachments

• wsftp95.zip
    320 KB · Views: 99

PKOssie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
ellesmere port
thanks for info tried to follow instructions but box keeps coming up saying contains no services or lamedb file eh!!! have'nt a clue..

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi @PKOssie,

I assume that you mean an error message box pops up in DreamboxEdit. Unless you give DBE a full set of services files, it will give an error message. All I have posted is satellites.xml not a full set of files. Use a straightforward plain ordinary ftp tool to send the single file satellites.xml to /var/etc folder in the DM500S. Do a restart and a scan and the other files will be created or updated as necessary.

As a BTW: After doing your original scan (and finding very few channels), you did press the Red button to list all services?
After pressing Up or Down to open a channel list:
Red = All services in a single list, Green = Services by Satellite, Yellow = Services by Provider and Blue = Services in Bouquets (Favourites lists).

Best wishes, John.

PKOssie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
ellesmere port
thanks john for your reply pressed red and the services i can get are 6xch4+1, 2xe4, e4+1, and more4, but i'm having loads of trouble with the ftp programmes, i've downloaded a few but cant get any of them to work they cant connect to my box,someone said goto setup/expert setup to get boxes ip but the ip said 10.0.0.97 which does'nt seem right how do i get the boxes ip and how do i get these ftp programmes to connect with my box. the bins looking a good option at the moment. lol

fintannl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Single Sat Dish and DM800
My Location
Ireland
on pli press blue button, select system settings, select network and see your internal network ip address. now download flashfxp (best ftp program available). type in the ip address, leave the port at 21, username is root, password is dreambox. now transfer the satellite.xml file supplied from your pc to var/etc. you do this by clicking on var first then etc next on the right screen. then on the left screen locate satellite.xml on your pc, right click and select option transfer (else drag and drop it from left panel to right panel). reboot your dreambox and rescan

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Thanks for the help @fintannl,

I would have suggested FlashFXP but it's not free. WS_FTP95 is free and does the job, not as well but will certainly get satellites.xml into /var/etc

@PKOssie,

Do as @fintannl says to find the IP of your DM500S. Once you have that IP, put it in the address bar of a web browser (preferably Firefox but IE if you must) as:
Code:
[URL]http://ip_of_your_dreambox[/URL] 

for mine it is: 
[URL]http://192.168.0.24[/URL]
and press enter.
You should get a message box requesting User Name: and Password:
User Name is: root (Must all be lower case)
and unless you or someone else has changed it Password is: dreambox (All lower case again)
You should now see the Enigma Web Interface but if you get the message box back again, then someone has changed the password (or you typed something incorrectly)!!
If you get no message box but an error from the web browser that the location is unreachable, then the IP is wrong! However, it must be correct if you get it as @fintannl describes.

Try this test before going any further and let us know how you get on?

BTW, Dreamboxes require you to have far more frustration than this before you put them in the bin!!!:D

Best wishes, John.

PKOssie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
ellesmere port
thanks john but i dont think the wife agrees

fintannl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Single Sat Dish and DM800
My Location
Ireland
hmmm john, flash fxp is not free? somewhat true. 30 day trial. after trial is over all you need to do is remove all references using regedit and your trial starts all over again

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
@PKOssie!!! Wife!!!

Wives don't have anything to do with Dreamboxes. They're hobby things. Mine is nothing to do with my domestic television reception. I would recommend getting totally, fully and completely conversant (over about 2 years at least):confused with a Dreambox, before letting it anywhere near a domestic situation. You have loads of learning to do before you can confidently keep it going reliably for the sort of things wives and family consider essential. All far too much pressure.:eek:

Do the test, let's know what happens?:-righton

Best wishes, John.

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
@fintannl,

It's not very expensive, so I paid for mine. On the rare occasions that I start a Windoze machine, it still gets official updates! I was one of those who followed the Klona guide, way back!
I use gFTP on my Linux netbook and it's very similar.

Best wishes, John.

PKOssie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
ellesmere port
i've pressed blue button system setting / network and got ip address but dreamboxedit and other ftp programmes cant connect to box i'm using a null modem from pc to box is this ok or should i be connecting to box another way

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi @PKOssie,

Sorry, but No a Null Modem Cable is not right!
Both @fintannl & I had been assuming you had your DM500S connected by Ethernet cable to your home network/LAN. An IP address is an Internet Protocol address for use in a computer network. It has no relevance to a null modem connection.

On the other hand, a null modem cable is used for much older RS232 type communication. In the case of a Dreambox, a null modem cable is only used with the DreamUp program to install an image. In most cases, unless the Dreambox has suffered a firmware failure, it will not be necessary to even use a null modem cable for firmware installation. There are other ways.

Anyway, let's proceed. To use an ftp program, DreamboxEdit, the Enigma Web Interface, or to do any of the other things a Dreambox is capable of, you need to connect the Ethernet Socket on the DM500S to a free Ethernet Port on your router. The DM500S is a small Linux computer and the easiest way to 'talk' to it is via its Ethernet connection.

Once you have connected the DM500S to your router, open the network page in the DM500S and note the IP address. Then please re-read what has been posted in this thread carefully. Try what has been suggested to test with a Web Browser, if you can access the Enigma Web Interface. If successful, try ftp-ing the file satellites.xml to DM500S folder /var/etc
Then, reboot, re-scan and what channels are in your channel list?

Good luck & let us know how you get on?

Best wishes, John.

PKOssie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
ellesmere port
cheers john i've just got in but i'll try that and let you know in a day or so... thought what i was trying was wrong you live and learn. thanks a lot

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Well done @PKOssie,

I said it takes time.:-righton
I've had my DM7000S for about 7 years and I'm still learning!!:confused :-comp
Good luck and I look forward to hearing from you later.

Best wishes, John.

Status
Not open for further replies.