Dreambox without a PC, is it possible, whats happened??

Joe T

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000 (several)
Gemini
Luxsat
My Location
Sussex
I have had a DB 7000 since they came out, I even imported a few and sorted warranty issues on the first batch that came to the UK.
Until recently I used Hydra, obviously its expiring, I had my DB connected on an external IP when necessary. I never really needed to get involved in file uploading or editing. Hydra was able to do all the updating from the remote, keys, emu's the lot.

I have tried a few images currently looking at Flubber.

But all the images I have tried seem to have quite a bit missing, cams have to be collected and installed then keys have to be found unzipped or ftp'd in various dirs, or config files need editing to make bits work.

Whats happened? have the clever people who wrote the easy to use stuff moved on to another box?

I have no problem with using Telnet ftp or VI but cant get my head round why it seems to have gone backwards. Its sort of becoming high maintenance.

Am I way off base with the images, is there one out there that once youve flashed it, set up the coms, and away you go, I live in hope.

Thanks

Joe T

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
:-Welcome1

Most of the new images have removed to button press instant updates.

You can add the functions using FTP and some images allow a certain amount of updates using the buttons. The reason a lot stopped was due to the pressure on the web sites that the button presses went for the updates getting hassle from certain sources.

Have a read of the 'Idiots guide' in the stickies at the top of the Dreambox section. A do a search for 'the usual places' to find the best sites to download what you need.

Everyone has their favourite image - just read through the Dreambox section.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
To keep themselves afloat, avoid unnecessary confrontation and for reasons of principle, many of the image designers, decided not to include emulators and key updaters. They are nonetheless easy to install on most images.

If you do not have a PC, do not want to connect your Dreambox to a PC, or want everything on a plate, then a Dreambox is not for you. Even standard receivers now, to keep up to date, require constant internet/PC connection.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Beat me there GB. :)

Joe T

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000 (several)
Gemini
Luxsat
My Location
Sussex
Thanks guys, you have answered my question. I thought I might not be looking at the right images etc.

I have had a look at some of the download sites and know about the var/keys dir etc, I just thought it all seemed a lot of work seeing how often TPS update them, hotbird being the main sat I view (other half is French).

I dont want everything on a plate, it just seemed to me that the current batch of images dont have the functionality of an earlier version.
Like going back to windows 3.1 or Linux 3.0 I was genuinely interested as to why. Sort of reminds of programming my galaxy card for TV1000 on D2mac.

The bandwidth traffic on updates is a valid reason I guess for pulling the plug.

Thanks again.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
You can get TPS on a weekly basis, as it were...

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
You can download a script that changes the K*ys for TPS automatically - but the Dreambox has to be connected to the Internet constantly.

Other updates can be done simple using you preferred FTP application.

Don't give up on your trusty Dreambox yet - :-Nooo

Joe T

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000 (several)
Gemini
Luxsat
My Location
Sussex
Thanks, I will go through the idiots guide, any posts or threads in particular.

I suspect I will learn quite a bit as I say its been a while since I immersed myself in all this.

Thanks

PS Forgot to mention found Mary's K*Y plugin for Pli image on one of the sites listed in usual places. Loaded up ok but still not much happening with Multivis, is the whole Mary's thing over now, noted the file date was 12/05but thought it worth a try as it still downloads

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Joe T said:
Mary's K*Y

I think that Mary's has been overtaken by other sets now.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Since TPS started changin keys every ten minutes the updat through the key sites became problematic. Also, many times in the past the keys were not as up to date as they could have been...
I would go for an easy and user friendly image such as Gemini where you can download the cam and camconfig through the blue button, and then FTP the keys from one of the sites. All done in a matter of minutes.

Joe T

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000 (several)
Gemini
Luxsat
My Location
Sussex
Well I have been through the idiots guide, its a bit tricky as some of the stuff in there is dated 2004 (key updater beta 8). So not really sure whats still relavent or not (Hence my Marys K*y plugin for PLI mess up :-doh! ).

I am using flubber on my old blue display 7000, no drive or USB, till I get the hang of this. I have ftp connection, and used telnet in the past, I even know where to put the stuff (if its to be installed)
I have mgcamd and evocam loaded on blue button (assuming there the best ones for TPS and multivision)

But finding the right stuff, when you dont know what your looking for. I assume I am looking for a k*y bundle in archive format, its probably got a new name now I presume again I copy it to the /tmp dir which will allow me to manually install it on blue button. I must have joined 5 other sites tonight alone. But still struggling a bit, most of the links to other sites for download require you to register. Then some report no more registrations Nabilo for instance.:-doh!

Still not managed to find a script or service to do the TPS stuff on Auto. But I am assuming again its not called TPS autoupdater.

Fell free to PM with some abuse or links, or basic instructions where I can download this stuff specifically and whats its called, I only speak english though.

Down but not Out

Joe T

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Forget installing the key bundles with Flubber, I have found that they do noit install, you have to unpack them and then FTP them to the appropriate folders which they have unpacked to.

The Usual Places thread has several links.

Joe T

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000 (several)
Gemini
Luxsat
My Location
Sussex
Thanks Rolf, I have ftp'd the "Dreambox K*ys 26.08.2006 b.zip" from sat-key.info

in the /Var dirs as suggested, but still not much happening, I noticed Autoroll & Autoupdate were in there, but assume something must be changed somewhere else to activate them?

Once activated, if left on the net I assume it updates itself, (Do I need to run this as a cron job?)

Cheers

Joe

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Don't think it is as easy as that, haven't really looked into it myself, but there are a couple of long threads about it. :)

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
For TPS, the easiest is to load up evocamd, then get the Satandream key bundle, ftp it and CHMOD to 755, then go to this thread and look for the latest camd_cfg file and the TPS AES file. If I am not mistaken it does not work at the moment, but usually they find a solution there pretty fast.
Just so you know (and you can read in the mentioned thread): Watching TPS requires a lot of updates, sometimes it works for days and sometimes it stops in the middle of a movie.

Joe T

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000 (several)
Gemini
Luxsat
My Location
Sussex
This thread? which thread, have I missed something :-doh!

Cheers

Joe

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
DON'T use camd_cfg if you are going to use a week-long valid TPS_AES.txt

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
look here
_http://www.gccadm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37708&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=245

Joe T

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000 (several)
Gemini
Luxsat
My Location
Sussex
Members only on that link, :-doh! but thanks anyway.

Its offcial, I give up, 2 weeks of FTPing, searching unzipping bundles only to find there really old, joining sat sites like a person on pay per click, lots of hints on how to do this, but no real instructions.

Some of the bundles had them in but little on the AU feature, I tried changemod on some of the files but no joy, not really sure they were in the right place.

I will come back in a few months and see if its still this complicated, I'm gonna miss Multivision. I will keep the dreamboxes as the Hard disk recording feature is hard to live without. PLus makes a nice Samba server.

Thanks for your help guys.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Currently the one of the better bundles is satan from satandream, only needs a weekly update (excluding any D+ releases).