Dreambox without a PC, is it possible, whats happened??

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Joe T said:
Members only on that link, :-doh! but thanks anyway.

Its offcial, I give up, 2 weeks of FTPing, searching unzipping bundles only to find there really old, joining sat sites like a person on pay per click, lots of hints on how to do this, but no real instructions.

Some of the bundles had them in but little on the AU feature, I tried changemod on some of the files but no joy, not really sure they were in the right place.

I will come back in a few months and see if its still this complicated, I'm gonna miss Multivision. I will keep the dreamboxes as the Hard disk recording feature is hard to live without. PLus makes a nice Samba server.

Thanks for your help guys.

Of course it is memebers only, like any other site. What's the prob, register and get the stuff...is free of charge and takes only a minute.
It seems a pity to give up when all you have to do is (mostly) weekly updates.

But, you are right, the dreambox is also a very good receiver for FTA stuff....:)

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
in this order

1, Install Geminis latest image
2, press blue button and install a few cams
3, join satandream
4, ftp the satandream bundle to var

done... free channels :D
that would take most of us 15 mins, you on your first time maybe 30 mins.... well worth it

all you have to do then is ftp keys over once a week (5mins) and thats it

i say go for it, if you need more help with each step, post here and i will help you through :)

Joe T

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000 (several)
Gemini
Luxsat
My Location
Sussex
Just revisited to see if anything has improved over the last few months.

Any sign on an image thats completely updatable from an internet connected DB. Plugins Emus and Keys like Hydra used to be.

(In case you wonder why I still ask I don't have a PC at the location of the DB even though I have a broadband connection, so anything involving ftp or file moving means taking the DB somewhere else and setting it up on some one elses LAN)

Cheers

Joe

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I think that you'll be waiting a long time for that to happen, as most of the images originally had that feature, but stopped adding it to cover themselves, also the key download sites keep getting shut down, so the files would need continual editing.. Why not buy a very cheap laptop, all it needs is an ethernet port.

Joe T

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000 (several)
Gemini
Luxsat
My Location
Sussex
It is a shame, but at least I got a good couple of years out of it with MultiV etc so not complaining. Yep could sort a laptop, but after my last dismal effort at getting it working failed not over confident I would be anymore successful now. Just would have liked some movies over the Holidays etc :-tree.

I do have some external IP addreses I was pondering on sticking the box on one of them then maybe I could remotely config it? from work etc

Thanks

Joe

Joe T

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000 (several)
Gemini
Luxsat
My Location
Sussex
Just heard that the Gemini 3.6 version can be hooked up to something like Luxsat with a change to the user.xml file.
Does this mean we are back where we were in 2005? with a Dreambox that can point to a single server and get all it needs to be updated via the web/remote but without the need for a PC??? (after initial xml edit etc)

Waits in anticipation??

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
I am not sure what you refer to, but this thread is pretty old. One thing is for sure, a Dreambox without a computer connected is almost not worth it, might as well get a cheap FTA receiver. The whole idea of it is to load up all the interesting stuff from your computer...

Joe T

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000 (several)
Gemini
Luxsat
My Location
Sussex
Ok,:-worship thanks for that.:confused

To explain, we have a remote location we want to use the dreambox in, by use I mean to actually watch films on etc. The remote location has an internet connection but no PC facility.

So we configure it at base (home) then go onsite and install in remote location, hook up to internet, from then on carry out all updates from the remote without the need for a PC.

I know it may sound a bit strange but it was a setup that worked whilst Hydra and Marys K*ys was in operation. Worked really well for nearly 2 years, once installed never needed a PC, everything including image updates done from the remote.

I see recently that some sites have written plugins that download and unpack the keys from the blue button control panel. Just wondered if anyone used them. I appreciate some will still prefer to ftp into a dir etc.
But I don't have that option once its onsite.

Thanks

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Many images allow direct download, so yes it would work.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hmmm in a way this could work, my dreambox is connected directly to the DSL modem (through the wireless router) so even if the computers are not on I can still download cams and activate the satankeyupdater plugin (use yellow button though). The only thing you can't do is load up a new image...
So I suppose this could work as long as satankeys is working. Additionally, it seems there has been a new cam that does autoupdate for TPS keys. Might work...

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
The new Gemini 4.0 has a better addon menu with a lot more files, so that should keep you away from the PC for a while.
There is also a possibility to download files from YOUR selected websites (haven't tried this yet, but will check it later on today).

Also, it might be possible to copy the occasional needed files from PC to a USB stick (dead cheap nowadays) and then connect it to the DB, copy to /tmp and then do a manual install ?

I have a problem with the memory since it runs out very fast, and I need to delete files in order to install new ones.
Perhaps there is a way to increase the memory size ?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
HB13DISH said:
I have a problem with the memory since it runs out very fast, and I need to delete files in order to install new ones.
Perhaps there is a way to increase the memory size ?

Use a USB stick and move var to it, then you can have as many emulators and addons as you like. :)

Joe T

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000 (several)
Gemini
Luxsat
My Location
Sussex
Thanks, I will try Gemini 4. I only used 3.6 as it was specified by the site providing the softcam k*y updater.

Basically you change the useraddon.xml file to one they provide then in the blue button plugin menu you get the option to download from there site straight into the box.

Ironically the direct internet connection on the DB and the download all seem to work.

My problem is I am so out of date with this I don't know what half of the stuff is anymore.
What does the Cam Config file do? and why more than one for each cam?

Is TPS and Multivis*** the same thing? which is the best cam (I only really want Multivis)

Despite loading Mgcamd Evocamd CCcam and associated cam config files, Multivis*** still only lasts a minute then locks, despite reporting successful k*y downloads

I suspect there are other useradd xml files from other sites? any recomendations.

Cheers

Joe

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Multivision and TPS are the same. Also, it seems there is something going on and it does not work at the moment.

Also, I don't think you need to play too much with the config files. Use the latest Mgcamd , download it from the blue button, then the cam config, and get the keys from satandream. Also, i use the keyupdater plugin, and it works nicely...

Joe T

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000 (several)
Gemini
Luxsat
My Location
Sussex
Just like to say I have now been running my Dreambox now for a couple of weeks with no problems and all updating fine just from the remote.

Excellent news, no need to hook it up to a pc or ftp'ing other than initial xml file copy over.

So for all those who just want to use a dreambox for viewing sat channels..... most definitly you can run a dreambox without a PC and keep all the k*ys updated etc.

Thanks for all your help

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nice one!

P.S You can only do this if your Dreambox is connected to the internet via a rooter!