Eyesight colours....

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Over the past few years, I've been thinking about why people like certain colours (mine being Blue), and I had a theory that we all see different colours to one another, for example, what I see as Blue, one person could be seeing what I would call Red, or with Twins, one sees colours "normally" and the other sees a "negative image" with all colours reversed...

What do you lot think?

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Such a question has kept philosophers deep in thought for millennia...

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
PoloMint said:
Such a question has kept philosophers deep in thought for millennia...

Keeps me deep in thought while I'm, "busy", on the loo... :D

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
2cvbloke said:
Over the past few years, I've been thinking about why people like certain colours (mine being Blue), and I had a theory that we all see different colours to one another, for example, what I see as Blue, one person could be seeing what I would call Red, or with Twins, one sees colours "normally" and the other sees a "negative image" with all colours reversed...

What do you lot think?
Whilst I worked for 10 years with someone who was colour blind and therefore understand the effects and problems it causes and the underlying causes, I do not really understand what PM means the since all people seeing a colour which you or I would call red will point to it and say it is red unless they are colour blind.......so what do you mean? I know of nobody who sees negative images unless there is a medical condition for it and not being an optometrist I have never heard of it.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
But, if they always saw a negative image, and always had done, how would they know? How could you ask them?

You see a small range of wavelengths and think it/they are 'red'. 2CV has an idea of red and a small range of wavelengths he associates with it. But how do we know they are the same? The sensation he gets when he sees something red might be the same as the one you get when you see something blue, and vice versa. When you are both asked to point to something red, you would both point to the same thing, but your perception might be different.

What if you have only ever seen the world through a lens than showed you the opposite colour? The world would make sense, you could navigate around it, tell colours apart and take photographs, but the sensation / phenomenal vision you get when seeing a colour would be different to someone who hadn't been brought up with the inverter lens.

Finding a theoretical or practical way of proving/disproving/testing this is not very easy.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
PoloMint said:
But, if they always saw a negative image, and always had done, how would they know? How could you ask them?
I think we're in severe danger of falling into the "If a tree falls in a forest without anyone to hear it, does it make a sound?" territory.

It's absolutely unproveable about colours as it is entirely subjective.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
I like it when you hear people say that their dog (insert animal) is colour blind...

How do they know?

Or the science programs that tell you what colours a fly can see.

It's all black and white anyway...

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
It is like a computer program with the endprog in the the wrong place you just go round in an endless loop since as you say quite rightly it is difficult to prove. Thus cannot see the point in spending time postulating and theorising about it. There can be no conclusion to the thread:-worship

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Topper said:
It is like a computer program with the endprog in the the wrong place you just go round in an endless loop since as you say quite rightly it is difficult to prove. Thus cannot see the point in spending time postulating and theorising about it. There can be no conclusion to the thread:-worship

Some would say that that is what philosophy is all about...

GB – there are ways of testing if animals are colour blind (well, if they can discriminate between colours of equal luminance or not, if they can't then the conclusion would be that they are colour blind), and ways of telling what colours an animal can see. These results can also be backed up with hands on (electrodes in) techniques. But yes, I doubt the person talking about their pet on daytime TV has actually done it - more likely they heard it on some other daytime TV show and took it as fact.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
PoloMint said:
But yes, I doubt the person talking about their pet on daytime TV has actually done it - more likely they heard it on some other daytime TV show and took it as fact.

I yearn for the day when somebody brings back a minimum intellect requirement to daytime TV. I am certain the broadcasters suck the unused braincells from any unfortunate viewer for their own nefarious purposes.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
It's a shame it can't currently be proven (or Disproved), cos I think it's an interesting biology discussion and an interesting thing to put research into... :)

But then again, there's more important things for scientists to sort out like curing Cancer and even the common cold... :D

Low Profile

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD, DM7000 80GB HD with Asus WL330 wifi + 2GB usb drive, Skystar2.3, 2.2m Kinhuge Dish with Inverto LNB and Invacom ADF-120 feedhorn. Pace 1.3.25 and 80cm for Sky.
My Location
Lot, Dordogne, Correze border.
If you look at something with one eye, then look at it with the other - it appears to be a very slightly different colour, this would lead me to believe that everyone sees colours slightly differently. Not realy in line with the original post, but it's the best I can do.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Low Profile said:
If you look at something with one eye, then look at it with the other - it appears to be a very slightly different colour, this would lead me to believe that everyone sees colours slightly differently. Not realy in line with the original post, but it's the best I can do.

I know what you mean, my right eye has more redness than my left... :D

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
PoloMint said:
Some would say that that is what philosophy is all about...
Yes well the goalposts are changing all the time these days this obviously comes under the new subject of philosophical science. Not philosophy IMO

_stu_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM7025 + 90cm Fibo Dish with Moteck SG2100A mod + Inverto White 0.3dB lnb + 55cm Philips Gregorian + Stab HH-120 + modded BGSat 0.3dB lnb
My Location
Worcs
2cvbloke said:

You guys need to get your eyes tested as I see colours the same with both eyes... :eek:

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
_stu_ said:
You guys need to get your eyes tested as I see colours the same with both eyes... :eek:
couln't agree more _stu :toke: I think smoke must be getting in their eyes;)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
_stu_ said:

Other than being short sighted, my eye's are within tolerances... :D

Topper said:
couln't agree more _stu :toke: I think smoke must be getting in their eyes;)

I don't smoke, I have more sense (and lung capacity) than to do that... :p

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
2cvbloke said:
Other than being short sighted, my eye's are within tolerances... :D
I don't smoke, I have more sense (and lung capacity) than to do that... :p
I never said you did smoke but you did say
2cvbloke said:
You just have to be in a smoky atmosphere or consuming alcohol to get redness although I must confess I have never know it only affect one eye before. O-no

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Topper said:
You just have to be in a smoky atmosphere or consuming alcohol to get redness although I must confess I have never know it only affect one eye before. O-no

Not redness on the outside of my eye, what I see is slightly redder than the other eye which seems to be more blue... :p

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Don't worry, seeing colours slightly differently with each eye is not unusual :)