Eyesight colours....

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
PoloMint said:
Don't worry, seeing colours slightly differently with each eye is not unusual :)

Reminds me of Waynes World...

Camera one, camera two, camera one, camera two, camera one, camera two...... :D

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Let's just be grateful that it is not dangerous then, I have to confess there is no difference with the colours seen between my left and right eye, does that mean I am missing out :-cry1

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
As for the original question, I doubt there is much current research being done one it (probably not that many people willing to fund it).

But it might be solved as a by-product of other research (but it seems very unlikely).

This happened relatively recently with another old philosophical problem. Can you perceive colour without form? That is, can you imagine red, without it having any shape - not a red object, not a red cloud, not even an entirely red world, just 'redness'?

Neuropsychological data shows that indeed it is possible. Colour and form are processed in different areas of the visual system. A lesion (caused by stroke/CO poisoning, bang on the head etc) can selectively damage the processing of one of these. This would normally leave their visual system in quite a bad way, perhaps even rendering the person 'blind' (in the legal definition) but nonetheless when damage is in a certain are of the visual system, when shown a particular set of stimuli, the person can perceive the colour, but not the shape or form. So they can see/feel red, but not be aware why, or be aware of what is causing this perception.

In healthy people colour and form are processed in different pathways, and at different speeds, so you are aware of one before the other, as can shown in reaction time tests. Also, a considerable amount of the human visual system is colourblind...

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
PoloMint said:
Don't worry, seeing colours slightly differently with each eye is not unusual :)
Quite agree. I noticed many years ago that if i look at a sheet of white paper first wih ne eye then the other one has a very slight pinkish tinge compared with the other. It's not much and it's definitely not important - I used to spray cars for a living years ago and good colour matching is an absolute prerequisite for that.

Going back to animals and colour blindnes there is a qualitative method of testing for colour blindness by counting the rods and cones in the retina. Dogs are deficient in the colour sensing nerves (whichever one it is - I forget).

sophia

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
hispasat, head500
My Location
Grande Lisboa
Also coming back to colour blindness in animals; this time focussing on the bull. For a long time it's been said that bulls were atracted to red so that's why, in a bullfight (very famous in Spain and a bit less in Portugal, although I personally dispise them) the bullfighter in the arena uses a red cap.
Although many persons still believe this idea, it has been contradicted, precisely with the theory that bulls are in fact colour blind and have no sensitivity in colours. What in fact annoys the bull is the movements of the cap and not it's colour.
I suppose that should be easy to prove: just try and move a blue or yellow cap in front of a bull ... and see for yourself what he does...:-rofl2

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Got me smiling - all you lot closing and opening one eye at a time to see if the colour changes...

Bet the family wondered what you were doing - LOL

Let's start something...

Every colour you see is the EXACT opposite of the colour of the object you look at.

If it's a red book the book is reflecting every colour except red, it absorbs all the other colours.

I have often been told I'd argue a black bird is white - well it is!

...Light the blue touch paper and stand well back...

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
gameboy said:
Let's start something...

Every colour you see is the EXACT opposite of the colour of the object you look at.

If it's a red book the book is reflecting every colour except red, it absorbs all the other colours...

Erm...I always thought a red apple looked red because it absorbed all light except red, which it reflected... Or is that what you are saying?

Anyway it's all upside down on the retina too. :)

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
PoloMint said:
Or is that what you are saying?

Yes - that's what I was trying to say...

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Ahh ok – I should read things more carefully.

I see things very differently with each eye...I'm blind in my left one. :-cry1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dm800 90cmdish and motek 2100a www.expert-ict.co.uk
My Location
lancashire uk
I am colour blind and it causes me no end of problems at work (I work in IT) , all the lads on my mums side of the family are affected by it ,some worse than others .

The first thing people say to you upon finding out your colour blind is ............ you guessed it " WHAT COLOUR IS THIS ?" .

I then have to explain that colour blindness does not work like that i know what some colours are as I only have problems with blues , purples , reds oranges and greens , the problem comes when a shade of light red may be mistaken of pink , same with dark blue and purple and so on .

colour blindnes is more comman in boys with blue eyes .
it is thought to be hiredatry i have 1 boy how is ok but if he has a girl and she then has a boy , he may well be colour blind

you cannot be a member of any forces if you are colour blind and you cannot get away with jumping a red light and plea colour blindness :mad:

sorry to be a little off topic but just thought i would let you in of a few of my findings since being told i was colour blind .U-zzz

Karl

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
We do see colours differently.:)