F connector has fallen off cable

pandarock32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky uk, Fransat (Cgv E-sat HD-W), hispasat 30w (TDT SAT)
My Location
England
Hello everyone
I was switching out a satellite box today, and, as I unscrewed the satellite dish cable from the back of the box, the actual cable came away from the f connector! I tried screwing it back on and it seemed secure, but then the cable fell out again another 3 times, leaving the f connector attached to the box. Is there a special method to put it back on or something? Would masking tape be enough? The cable looks quite fragile so I don't want to do anything that may damage it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You should just be able to screw it onto the cable. if its loose put a bit of tape round the cable first to thicken it slightly if the connector is slightly oversize. Then the connector will have something else to bite onto.

Unless you have compression connectors & the appropriate tool to snap them on sometime you have to bodge it - Ive used electrical tape in the past to secure a loose connector - screw it on as normal to the cable then carefully wind a couple of turns of tape round the cable then onto the lower part of the f-conn. (Keeping it away from the nut of course)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
You could also cut it back and make the cable end again.

Attachments

• Fconnector.jpg
    Fconnector.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 22

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Is your F connector a threaded type (onto the cable - not the box!) or not? Does it look like the one on the post above? If you look into the barrel that goes onto the cable there should be screw thread visible if it is.

pandarock32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky uk, Fransat (Cgv E-sat HD-W), hispasat 30w (TDT SAT)
My Location
England
Hi guys
My connector isn't like the one above, the connector is the same but there is no screw thread. I put thick tape around both the cabler and the f connector where they meet and that seems to have worked, I've just installed the new box and everything is working. I'm surprised the f connector managed to stay on so long, as there was no purchase at all on the cable, I think the installer (he was the most local) was a bit haphazard, as the dish has already been knocked out of alignment once just after it was installed! Thanks for all your help guys :)

Last edited:

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.