Faulty LNB?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
This is a strange one, the receiver obviously can receive high and low band, plus H and V polarisations, it is probably the list of transponders which is wrong is wrong, with incorrect symbol rate or FEC figures. Can you tune and add transponders in the scanning menu?

Last edited:

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
A What Hi review, of the 'B' - not 'D' - version with an image that shows a different back panel.

missing-image.svg

Since the screen is designed 'only' for the UK, perhaps Freeview is the only option and the satellite tuner is just an unwelcome addition to the generic board (much like the Sony I have been playing with for the past month)

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
The Toshiba website claims it has 4 HDMI slots, the review seems to mention 3.
I would immediately try to kill off Alexa, if possible. I have neighbours, with children, and all of them, parents, and children, are all shouting at Alexa, to play different music, while they were in the garden, during summer, most annoying, especially as they ranged from disney tunes, to taylor swift, and not one decent song.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
They claim to be expert advisors, on their site.

Currys have them, too ........ :cool:

I always take pleasure in baffling them :D

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The Toshiba website claims it has 4 HDMI slots, the review seems to mention 3.
I would immediately try to kill off Alexa, if possible. I have neighbours, with children, and all of them, parents, and children, are all shouting at Alexa, to play different music, while they were in the garden, during summer, most annoying, especially as they ranged from disney tunes, to taylor swift, and not one decent song.
Disney (as the company) no longer has the vision of the creator, they only exist for the $$$.

Under a strict budget to stop going under some 80 odd years ago, Walt brought out Dumbo.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Currys have them, too ........ :cool:

I always take pleasure in baffling them :D
Don't get me started on Curry's, I had to get a lawyer, to get one of their messes sorted out.
Many years ago I bought an expensive Panasonic video recorder, that had an intermittent fault, when it sometimes didn't record a timer recording.
Numerous times, for lengthy periods, they claimed to have repaired it, only for it to have the same fault. Eventually I had a lawyer send them a letter.
After receiving this letter, they finally sent it to Panasonic, who instantly knew where the problem was, and repaired it, and returned it, within a few days.
Why they couldn't have contacted Panasonic themselves, and had the problem diagnosed, is beyond me.

notsofast

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
New 60cm eliptical dish. Twin LNB, single 20m cable run to built in Sat Receiver on Toshiba TV
My Location
Fort William, Scotland
Just spoke to to the technical support again. They say the UK models are not fitted with full satellite receivers so will not work. Seems like I wasted my time trying. I suppose the only option is to get a freesat box or sky box.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Just spoke to to the technical support again. They say the UK models are not fitted with full satellite receivers so will not work. Seems like I wasted my time trying. I suppose the only option is to get a freesat box or sky box.
That is interesting, perhaps you can check if there is a 13/18 output from the tuner , or take the back off and take some pictures of the board.

notsofast

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
New 60cm eliptical dish. Twin LNB, single 20m cable run to built in Sat Receiver on Toshiba TV
My Location
Fort William, Scotland
The LNB output plug on the back states 13/18 V 300mA

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
If it has the abiltiy to change the polarity, hardware, and software, then it should work.
I wonder if the same hardware, is fitted in all models, of this television, which makes assembly easier, but they don't activate it, in the software.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors

I suspect they are talking hogwash. It's clearly equipped with a DVB S/S2 function (As a fair few are nowadays, regardless of intended market), but will need a bit of lateral thinking to get the best out if it. Of course, it's generic, not stylised for Freesat, but it should nevertheless be capable of getting free to air UK channels.

Do you know any Satellite hobbyists local to you? They might be able to unravel the mysteries.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
I would try another LNB, either by badgering the original supplier for a replacement or buying the cheapest 40mm Universal one delivered by Amazon so it can be returned if it doesn't fix it.