Top Tip Floor mount

chavo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu uno, VU Duo2, sky dish, 2 zone 2 dishes for 19.2 and 23.5. Satlink meter, rover STCeu meter. Tripod with a dish for messing around.
My Location
North West England
so today I decided to re calibrate my 3 dishes, usually this involves staying up a ladder for a couple of hours whilst I try with no patience to get a decent reception.

On this occasion I bought a floor mount, spent 10 mins with the dish on the floor got the elevation and lnb perfect the simply slid the dish on to the wall mount left / right to get the highest signal and tighten up. Brilliant, 5 mins up ladder :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Good scheme, but does depend upon the relative plumb-ness of both mounts.

chavo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu uno, VU Duo2, sky dish, 2 zone 2 dishes for 19.2 and 23.5. Satlink meter, rover STCeu meter. Tripod with a dish for messing around.
My Location
North West England
Very true. As its my house I know the wall mounts are straight.i just make sure the floor mount is verticle and I have a result :) saved me so much time and it's so enjoyable at floor level!

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
saved me so much time and it's so enjoyable at floor level!

I miss my dish being at ground level, I learnt so much about were to position the LNB and enjoyed fine tuning things, I will probably re-site it at ground level in the near future,

Good going chavo well done :)

Riverblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Near Brighton
It is of course a lot easier to set up a dish at ground level, but, most of us with motorised set ups will have to mount them at a higher level to get a clear view to our East/West horizons! ;)

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
today I decided to re calibrate my 3 dishes
And another two dishes are already on the wall as they are not in the picture? Could you show all of them?

chavo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West England
Yeah sure. It's not as fancy as most members, I gave had motorised, gregorian and now single lnb dishes. Going backwards if anything!

One is of my old wave frontier t90, interesting dish!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
They are all pointed at more or less same direction! Do you really need 3?!

chavo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West England
Need, no. Want, yes!

I get 28. 23.5 and 19.2.

That gets me just about everything I need. Would like a motorised system again but to much maintenance. Very windy here! Right by the Irish sea!

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
Is that allowed to install bigger dish on your wall? For example T-90 or 1,2m motorized antenna?

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Is that allowed to install bigger dish on your wall? For example T-90 or 1,2m motorized antenna?

I have had motorised, gregorian and now single lnb dishes. Going backwards if anything!

my old wave frontier t90, interesting dish

They are all pointed at more or less same direction! Do you really need 3?!

Need, no. Want, yes!

I get 28. 23.5 and 19.2.

That gets me just about everything I need. Would like a motorised system again but to much maintenance

:confused

Incoming

untitled-png.73214

Last edited:

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
Yes, Martin, chavo said he had gregorian (toroidas is also some kind of gregorian) and motorized, but he did not say he had them on this wall, not even on this property. Therefore I was wondering why he got rid of really nice antennas and ended up with 3 so-so ones, there should be reason to do so.
Good morning !

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
Yes, Martin, chavo said he had gregorian (toroidas is also some kind of gregorian) and motorized, but he did not say he had them on this wall, not even on this property. Therefore I was wondering why he got rid of really nice antennas and ended up with 3 so-so ones, there should be reason to do so.
Well - he mentions wind. Maybe he has less of an issue with dishes shifting in the strong wind that comes off the sea if he has multiple smallish dishes rather than one large one.

lovelyperson

Dreamer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.0m PF dish
1.8m PF Famaval
1.8m PF Marrafa
1.4m Tecatel offset
1.2m dish + Stab HH120
TBS 5925 USB
Octagon SF8008 4k Twin
GTMedia V8 UHD
GTMedia GTcombos x 2
Goldmaster SR525 HD
Sat-illimitè F300 hyper
62.0ºE - 63.0ºW
My Location
Alicante, España
I miss my dish being at ground level, I learnt so much about were to position the LNB and enjoyed fine tuning things........ :)

Indeed, not had my 1.8m long but derive a lot of pleasure from being able to manually play (tune!) and things just loose enough for me to move the dish and with that weight it aint going to go far anyway!

Android apps like DishPointer Pro and Clinometer have helped too......still intend, when I see the right deal, to get a polar mount.

Great hobby, everyday different.

Best wishes chavo and all. :D

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
I do not think that T90 has more issues with wind that those small he has installed on the wall. So, this is mystery and stay like this till chavo sheds light to and explains why exactly he abandoned dishes he had and ended up with current ones.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Yes, Martin, chavo said he had gregorian (toroidas is also some kind of gregorian) and motorized, but he did not say he had them on this wall,

Good morning Rimants :)

I just thought he appeared happy and content with what he has, and tried what you had mentioned, I cant see what difference it makes if there on the wall are not, unless the G spot becomes stronger with dishes on walls ? :)

chavo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West England
164cbd390308138
Hello, I am back.

Ok. I started with a floor mounted 1m dish about 8 years ago. It was great as I could mess till my heart was content. No wind, only issue was everything west of 1w was a no go due to the fence. I had a kid and decided to get the decking built, and a bit of landscaping done so moved the motor to the wall. First winter in I the dish got blown that hard it shears the metal gears in the motor. Bye bye motorised system.

I bought the wave frontier t90, 105cm of delight! Popped it up on top of the decking as per the photo and it was great, at first. The decking is a wooden structure so in the winter the wind would make the entire frame move (the dish acts like a kite). I also found that because of where I am geographically I got a great signal on 19, 16 and 13 ( although getting the lnbs close was a problem, needed to sand the mounts down to get them 3 degrees apart and use a differ erect lnb, see pic), 28 sat right up at the right hand endge of the scale and 1w was right. Up on the left meaning that they where both fringe reception, the military chan used to get 20% :( when it got a bit windy 1w and 28 went off.

So here I am with a 4 switch, 2 zone 2 and a zone 1. Dishes a small, tight up to the house. Very secure. Not ideal LNBs are all crap. But I dont know which lnb will work well on a zone 2 dish.

Last edited:

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
Thanks, Valentine day mystery is solved! Good luck with your dishes.
Last question: Why can not you install T90 on the wall instead of all dishes? :rolleyes:

chavo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West England
I would still have the same problem that the dishes focus is central meaning I get fringe on the others, and it is large, really large. I have a large area of no mans land behind my house, It is sealed off from the public, South facing and has a clear view from about 5w through to about 28e. It's at the bottom of an embankment. I am thinking large 1.5m dish floor mounted, motorised. I have been asking around the local area to see if anyone has one for me :)

Oh just to add I did all of this yesterday using my sat link meter. I have to say. I am well impressed with it! At first I thought it was average, now I think it's a little trooper, long long battery life!

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
I would still have the same problem that the dishes focus is central meaning I get fringe on the others
This is not T90 issue. With T90 you could get much better reception on each satellite than you are having now with separate dishes. Installing 1,5m motorized is good idea, however 1,8m motorized would be even better.