Freesat in cyprus

gdkapoel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat in Cyprus
My Location
Nicosia, Cyprus
So it is still possible to get the channels on Sky in Cyprus? Are they on another satellite?

I have someone in the UK, yeah. What do I need to do next? I know about the costs of the subscriptions. How about the cost of the satellite? How big etc?

Also expatshield.com messed up my laptop. I had to uninstall and restart. Do you know any other programs I can download to hide my IP?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You can still get many of the pay services.

One of the Cyprus experts will give you an idea of whats available on what sized dish.

gdkapoel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat in Cyprus
My Location
Nicosia, Cyprus
Thank you very much analoguesat.

Any Cyprus experts to answer my queries? Zorbas?

Spiggy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+, Foxsat HDR, Linux Mint,
My Location
Larnaca, Cyprus
Thanks for your continued interest, but I'm afraid we're still stuck without C4.

I selected the Add Channels menu and tuned 12480/V/27500 2/3 and got the following list:

4 Music
The Box
KISS
Kerrang
Smash Hits
More4
Ch4
4+1
E4+1
E4

I selected them all and the first lot all work, with a little stuttering now and then, but we're in a massive thunderstorm today and could be weather-related. However, CH4 and E4 and their associated +1 channels all show the no signal message still. As you would expect, everything Sky-related is fine, as is ITV.

And yes, I even turned off the wireless phone system!

Looks like that's it for us. Thanks anyway!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Try again after the storm has passed - if you are getting some channels on a frequency its not possible for a few others on the same frequency to give no signal.

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello, if you loaded all those then you must check each one and then save the changes.
now to see it you must go to the others and they will be there.
when you search the frequency it doesn't mean you can now go to 104 and see ch 4 there.
it means it is loaded in the others list.
ralph

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
gdkapoel said:
Thank you very much analoguesat.

Any Cyprus experts to answer my queries? Zorbas?
If your contact can get a sky system installed at his/her address in UK then once its done you can bring the box/card to Cyprus. Or there are other ways of getting an official sky card.
There will be a lot of big dishes up for sale soon now that we have lost the FTA channels. Many people are not interested in subscribing to Sky. I would still recommend a 3m dish to cover you when its raining ( we have had a lot of that lately).Minimum 2.4m and there is a 2.4m offset dish available in Limassol which gets all the available pay channels ie channels whose transponders reach Cyprus. Would it be going on a roof or garden ?

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
ralphmagno said:
hello, if you loaded all those then you must check each one and then save the changes.
when you search the frequency it doesn't mean you can now go to 104 and see ch 4 there.
ralph
That's right. If one of those channels work ,then they all have to work.Are you sure you are selecting CH4 from the "other channels" list ? Like Ralph says, did you put a tick on all the channels by pressing the yellow button then press select?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
These channels are also encrypted so unless you have an active Sky subscription (or Freesat from Sky card) they wont work anyway

C4 /+1 require the FSFS card,

E4 / +1 & More 4 requires a subscription level card to open it.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Analoguesat said:
These channels are also encrypted so unless you have an active Sky subscription (or Freesat from Sky card) they wont work anyway

C4 /+1 require the FSFS card,

E4 / +1 & More 4 requires a subscription level card to open it.
He mentioned that the first lot all worked. I assume he meant the music channels ,which are pay channels. But for CH4 to say no signal is strange.

Spiggy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Larnaca, Cyprus
ralphmagno said:
ralph

BINGO! What a wally (me). Yes, I was placing ticks in the boxes and saving the changes, but I hadn't realised that you had to go to "Other Channels" to view the result. I thought they were amalgamated into the normal channel listing. I think the reason I didn't try this before was that the first time you select "Other Channels" when there aren't any stored, the instructions are to visit the "Add Channels" page.

FWIW still a bit stuttery this morning 0700 GMT, but that will be time-of-day related. I'll post another pat on the back this evening when I have a good picture! Thanks Ralph, Zorba and Analoguesat.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Spiggy said:
Thanks Ralph, Zorba and Analoguesat.

Are my posts not showing up for some reason? A few days ago I asked if you where using the other channels menu to select the channels, and not typing in the direct number for Channel 4. I'm not worried about being thanked or anything, it's just the lack of any acknowledgement is making me wonder if you can actually see me.

Anyway, glad to hear you got it sorted out in the end.

Spiggy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Larnaca, Cyprus
timo_w2s said:
Are my posts not showing up for some reason? A few days ago I asked if you where using the other channels menu to select the channels, and not typing in the direct number for Channel 4. I'm not worried about being thanked or anything, it's just the lack of any acknowledgement is making me wonder if you can actually see me.

...and thanks to you too Timo! I certainly saw this one. I was using the System Setup/ADD channels menu to tune them, but I was NOT using the Services/Other channels menu to subsequently view them - until now. Anybody else who replied to this thread - thank you too!

FWIW I am testing a Proxy Server solution (UK based) which will cost €5 per month when it goes live. There is a week's free trial if anyone wants to give it a go!

gdkapoel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat in Cyprus
My Location
Nicosia, Cyprus
Zorba said:
If your contact can get a sky system installed at his/her address in UK then once its done you can bring the box/card to Cyprus. Or there are other ways of getting an official sky card.
There will be a lot of big dishes up for sale soon now that we have lost the FTA channels. Many people are not interested in subscribing to Sky. I would still recommend a 3m dish to cover you when its raining ( we have had a lot of that lately).Minimum 2.4m and there is a 2.4m offset dish available in Limassol which gets all the available pay channels ie channels whose transponders reach Cyprus. Would it be going on a roof or garden ?

It is going to the roof of an apartment building.

So you are saying a minimum of 2.4 m of satellite but 4.2 will be better to get more channels?

What are the other ways to get Sky? I got a couple of quotes and the prices I got were very high. How much is this thing supposed to cost me?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Have a look at Sky Italia. Seriously - the dish size required is much less than for the UK stuff & many of the channels are the same

gdkapoel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat in Cyprus
My Location
Nicosia, Cyprus
I checked Sky Italia and none of the UK channels I want are available

Plus I imagine a lot of the channels will be in Italian

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Many Sky Italia channels carry dual audio tracks. Which channels are must have?

gdkapoel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat in Cyprus
My Location
Nicosia, Cyprus
I only wanted to have the UK channels that you can get with Freeview in the UK and that would be enough for me and thats why I was going for Freesat.

I can get the rest of the channels by connecting to Cytavision and Ltv in Cyprus so I did not need Sky.

So now that Freesat is a no go due to Astra 1N I am exploring my other options.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Presumably BBC / ITV / C4 & C5 --- only available via broadband means in Cyprus now.

Well apart from the few channels still on the widebeams but probably not for much longer.