I'm so lost.. Dish size, lnb type, location & signal: Madeira

delicacy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
Madeira
adieu Uk then. So can anybody tell me what satellites are available to me ?

Reception of the UK spotbeams from 28.2 East (the UK FTA channels) would need a dish of at least 4m if not larger which would cost well above 4 figures.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
So can anybody tell me what satellites are available to me ?
If you tell us your budget (maximum size of the dish you can afford) then it is possible to tell you which satellites will be available.

delicacy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
Madeira
if it can be a 1.6m maximum it would be ok or 1.8m, i don't want a monster on my roof.
what about the gibertini i've listed in my thread ?

If you tell us your budget (maximum size of the dish you can afford) then it is possible to tell you which satellites will be available.

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Bergen, Norway \ Alpes Maritimes, France

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 13

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
what about the gibertini i've listed in my thread ?
Yes, 1,5m Gibertini is OK. You wish to have it motorized or fixed? If motorized then you will have waiting time (which you did not want). But on 1,5m motorized you will probably get signals from 30-40 satellites.
If Fixed then it is only about 2-4 satellites, but you wanted more!
Why do not you start from something simple, like one motorized antenna, play with that, see what you can get and then decide wheather you need to thange something.

delicacy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
Madeira
That doesn't make sense to me Rima, if i had 8 lnb's on a holder, why whould i get 4 satellites over 40..
& a motor involves another stupid remote control before switching channels..

Yes, 1,5m Gibertini is OK. You wish to have it motorized or fixed? If motorized then you will have waiting time (which you did not want). But on 1,5m motorized you will probably get signals from 30-40 satellites.
If Fixed then it is only about 2-4 satellites, but you wanted more!
Why do not you start from something simple, like one motorized antenna, play with that, see what you can get and then decide wheather you need to thange something.

delicacy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
Madeira
Since nobody has time to provide me that information, & 4wd seems to believe i should do it myself because the provided method is believed to be given,
i'll follow his procedure & show you why nothing makes sense & why it's a waste of time doing it myself:

Following the 4wd "method" in a non objective response:

1) As mentionned, Satbeams - World Of Satellites at your fingertips can.

Are you "trying" to tell me to go to Satbeams - World Of Satellites at your fingertips ?
-Done.

2) "Click on any of the sat symbols on top"
-A sat symbol, trying to translate: a satellite icon ? any ?
-Done.

3) "choose a beam"
-There are beams on squared maps above the main big map, & beams on the main map.
-I have no choice to make sorry (nothing can allow me to make choices at this point, since selecting a given beam
to me on a world map out of the blue for having selected any "satellite" icon, is not relevant at all.
-I also don't know how you had Madeira selected on your attached picture.
-I can imagine you added the blue lines..... even though i don't see the purpose.
-I also see in that beam that England's included when i'm not supposed to receive Uk beams without a dish of 4m minimum.

4)"Spend time (Done), read, learn"
"then plan" ?... .

5) That was at least useful, thanks:
"Then look up any satellite that seems possible in your area (using f.ex. FlySat Sat List) to see which sat\channels may be of interest."

So for the Gibertini, if anyone can tell me which satellites are at my disposition without magic explanations that lead me nowhere
or not detailed enough, that could help me.

As mentionned, Satbeams - World Of Satellites at your fingertips can.
Click on any of the sat symbols on top, choose a beam, click within the footprint graphics.

Then look up any satellite that seems possible in your area (using f.ex. FlySat Sat List) to see which sat\channels may be of interest.

Spend time, read, learn, then plan.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
if i had 8 lnb's on a holder, why whould i get 4 satellites over 40.
If you install 8 LNBs on the holder, those further from center will not perform well enough, similar as you were using 60cm dish. And that was all about fixed antenna. For motorized antenna you only need 1 LNB.

& a motor involves another stupid remote control before switching channels..
Why do you think so? Have experience with motorized antennas?

Since nobody has time to provide me that information
The problem here is the fact that it is impossible to give you Yes/No answer, but need some research, which you can do yourself.

delicacy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
Madeira
No, i never needed a "yes:no" type of answer,
i asked what satellites could i reach with the gibertinni anthena in my location..

& "but need some research"

you have experience but won't do it, ok, i cannot obtain my answer from you, understood.

"which you can do yourself."

Pure assumption & lie, since i've shown in my previous post that i understand nothing at the given site & explanation by 4wd.

"If you install 8 LNBs on the holder, those further from center will not perform well enough"
It would have been hard to guess that those systems are pure marketing types of lies.

If you install 8 LNBs on the holder, those further from center will not perform well enough, similar as you were using 60cm dish. And that was all about fixed antenna. For motorized antenna you only need 1 LNB.

Why do you think so? Have experience with motorized antennas?

The problem here is the fact that it is impossible to give you Yes/No answer, but need some research, which you can do yourself.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
@delicacy1 we're a Forum of hobbyists, not a Consultancy: For any of us (ie the vast majority) who don't live in Madeira, giving precise answers to your questions simply is not possible unless one or more of us does exactly the same leg-work as it's been suggested you do for yourself. And that isn't going to happen.

The alternative to using the resources we've directed you to is to wait for any Members with specific experience of multi-Satellite reception in Madeira to respond (And I don't think there are that many such Members anyway).

I shall think about an amendment to the Thread Title, in an attempt to catch the eye of anyone with pre-existing specific knowledge.

Edit: "Madeira" added to Title.

delicacy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
Madeira
Ugh i thought it was gonna be easier than that to obtain such info ))
At least, your last reply can help me redirecting my questions.

Maybe you could tell me by experience or with online infos from your given websites, what are the main satellites that would give me the More channels in channel type & language diversity..
& if possible, the longest list of channels..

@delicacy1 we're a Forum of hobbyists, not a Consultancy: For any of us (ie the vast majority) who don't live in Madeira, giving precise answers to your questions simply is not possible unless one or more of us does exactly the same leg-work as it's been suggested you do for yourself. And that isn't going to happen.

The alternative to using the resources we've directed you to is to wait for any Members with specific experience of multi-Satellite reception in Madeira to respond (And I don't think there are that many such Members anyway).

I shall think about an amendment to the Thread Title, in an attempt to catch the eye of anyone with pre-existing specific knowledge.

Edit: "Madeira" added to Title.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
that i understand nothing at the given site & explanation by 4wd.
Let me try to guide you on that:
- open Satbeams - World Of Satellites at your fingertips
- klick on Footprints tab;
- on the ruler of satellites chose one, for example Astra1 @19,2*E. The site will show you something like that ScreenHunter_258 Apr. 02 19.09.jpg
- zoom in little bit more till you see your Madeira, like that ScreenHunter_259 Apr. 02 19.11.jpg
- do klick on your location and window will pop-up showing that to be able to receive this beam from Astra1 you will need at least 1,2m antenna. ScreenHunter_260 Apr. 02 19.11.jpg
- repeat it for all satellites and all the beams from those satellites. Put all data in the spread sheet, analyze it and make conclusion on number of satellites receivable in Madeira on 1,5m antenna.

delicacy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
Madeira
Ok, perfect Rima, now i got it.

So for example, for Astra1,

Can you tell me what those sections represent (position understood: 19 EE..):

-Astra1 ?
- Astra 1KR / Astra 1L / Astra 1M / Astra 1N ?
- 1KR / Spot1 / 1LFSS / Europe / AMEurope 1MWide / PE ?

Let me try to guide you on that:
- open Satbeams - World Of Satellites at your fingertips
- klick on Footprints tab;
- on the ruler of satellites chose one, for example Astra1 @19,2*E. The site will show you something like that View attachment 105430
- zoom in little bit more till you see your Madeira, like that View attachment 105431
- do klick on your location and window will pop-up showing that to be able to receive this beam from Astra1 you will need at least 1,2m antenna. View attachment 105432
- repeat it for all satellites and all the beams from those satellites. Put all data in the spread sheet, analyze it and make conclusion on number of satellites receivable in Madeira on 1,5m antenna.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga

delicacy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
Madeira
Doesn't a 360° type of parabolic dish even of different shape or hiden in a box exist ? so i can avoid motirization ?

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Wow Rimant, you have far more patience than I do!

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
Doesn't a 360° type of parabolic dish even of different shape or hiden in a box exist ? so i can avoid motirization ?
I do not know what exactly you mean by 360° type. Of course you can avoid motorization by installing separate antennas for each satellite, in some cases 1 antenna for 2-4 satellites could also work. Or (you did not tell your budget limit) install 1 or 2 stationary antennas and get all signals from all satellites.

delicacy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
Madeira
Like i told you, it's not a question of budget, & i don't want anything motorized, & stationary devices seem to be motorized inside.. I don't want several antennas on the roof either,
i'd be called the sattelite & tv junkie by the neighbours..

I do not know what exactly you mean by 360° type. Of course you can avoid motorization by installing separate antennas for each satellite, in some cases 1 antenna for 2-4 satellites could also work. Or (you did not tell your budget limit) install 1 or 2 stationary antennas and get all signals from all satellites.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors