Is there any point in getting a motorised system if you only want English programming

icebergx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
My Location
London, England
Hi guys,
I just spoke to a satellite dealer and the basic gist of the conversation was that if you want English programming, there is no point in getting a motorised system.

I'm primarily interested in English Football and was looking to get an ART card with whatever system I chose but I'd like extra english programmes films movies,etc (or programmes where you can change the broadcast language to english).

As you've probably guessed, I'm quite tight :D . I don't want to pay for these channels and even if they are only on intermitently (via patches/keys), I don't mind too much.

Are more of these channels likely to be available on a motorised system?

Is there even any point in trying to get keys/patches to open channels where the system is motorised or not?

Any other advice?

Thanks in advance for your help.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
If you want English programming then it's on 28.2

If you want programmes that are in English e.g. films, then they're on a range of satellites including 28.2E, 19.2E, 13E, 30W etc. The easiest way to get access to all of those (without considering the issue of patches or subscription cards) is a motorised system. ART isn't on 28.2 either.

Park Royal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Smart lnb, 1m Gibby dish, Stab motor, TM5200D receiver, 57east to 61west. DTT from Sudbury. Virgin Media broadband.
My Location
So called capital of Suffolk, UK.
The satellites at 7 degrees west and 26 degrees east also carry a range of programmes and films with english dialogue.
PR

icebergx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
My Location
London, England
Thanks for your help. I've got a few more questions:

Are the English Channels/programmes that are available on satellites other that 28.3E FTA or encrypted?

If they are encrypted, is it easy to find keys/patches (not sure of the difference) to unscramble these channels?

Would a Technomate 1500CI (on a motorised system) be a good receiver to enable me to unscramble these channels (I've heard it's very well supported)? If not, what would you recommend?

Thanks again, you guys are great!!!:D

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
The 1500CI is as you say one of the best supported recievers, with the added bonus of a CI slot if you wished/needed to take up a subscription in the future.

Add a DiSEqC motor (Technomate / Moteck or similar) and a 1mtr dish and brackets and you're all set for around £200 or so.

Yes there is FTA English language programming around on the arc including news and sports feeds the pop up here and there, but your reciever is capable of dealing with a lot of the encryptions too.

Do have a look around and keep asking questions before taking the plunge though, and we'll try to give you as much information as we can.

Rgds

L.:)

icebergx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
My Location
London, England
Thanks guys,
A few additional questions:

If I wanted a more advanced reciever (I'm guessing one of the dreamboxs is the best top level reciever, not sure what the best mid-level recievier is) What benefits would they bring my motorised system (sorry for being so vague:-doh! )?

Is this mid-level/top-level reciever well supported with patches/keys? Do they even need them or can they unscramble certain channels by themselves?

I live in East London (E14 7TW). Do I need i 1M dish to pickup all the satellites mentioned above or will a 80 CM one do (the bigger the better)?

As I said before, I don't know what I'd do with out the support here so thanks again.:-worship

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Act in haste, repent at leisure ;)

The more features a receiver has the more complex it can be to operate e.g. Linux based receivers. There are also other receivers but I don't how well they're supported e.g. Humax, Samsung etc.

Technomate and Dreamboxes are well supported but I don't if there is something that one can do the other can't. If you have the space for a 1m dish then go for it- the cost difference to an 80cm dish isn't much and it gives you more options.

icebergx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
My Location
London, England
Would it be a problem if I purchased a Technomate 1500CI Super now, and in maybe a year, replaced it with a Dreambox (or another reciever).

Would I have to change any other parts of my system or would it just be a case of unpluging my Technomate and plugging in my Dreambox?

Would someone be so kind as to list what exactly I need to set the system up:

1) Technomate 1500CI+Super
2) 80cm-100cm Dish (any particular type/brand? Does it make any diff?)
3) Motor (which Brand/model? Does it make and diff?)
4) Cable (I believe 15 M is enough. What type?)
5) Fixtures to fit to my chimney (What do I need?)
6) Anything else?

Money is a bit of an issue but I'm prepared to spend a bit more on a reliable system.

I already have a Sky Digital Dish attached to my cimney. Could this present a problem during instalation?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
You can't fit a dish bigger than a $ky mini-dish to your chimney! An 80cm+ dish needs to go on a wall mount or on a pole.

icebergx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
My Location
London, England
Here's a pic of my roof. Can the dish go anywhere else?

Image056.jpg

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
yes mount some t&k brackets so the dish can go above the roof

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
As Wod says, put it on a set of T&Ks, I,ve added an image to your post above. :)

icebergx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
My Location
London, England
The only problem I can see with this is that (like most roofs) my roof has a slight overhang. Will the T&K braket accomodate this?
Also, could I put the dish on the other side of my house rather than at the front (as shown in the pic)?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Check out:

smw.se/FreeSoftware.htm

and maybe

heavens-above.com

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
T&K brackets can be bought up to 36" standoff, it should be fine on the back wall, unless of course there are trees on the way, your roof certainly seems to have a shallow pitch.

icebergx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
My Location
London, England
Yes it does, only a slight slope.
How aboud some kind of cradle similar to the really large satellites which would effectively 'sit' on my roof? Do these exist?

I'm guessing that one of these T&K bracket systems will require professional information?

Also, any feedback on the items in my proposedsystem? How much do you think it should cost? I'd like to order all the components before the end of the week if possible.

Once again, thanks loads.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
T&Ks are easy to put up and if you have a drill, spirit level and a steel mast, then you can easily do it yourself.

icebergx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
My Location
London, England
How much extra for the T&K bracket?
Thanks

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Don't know what they are retail I'm afraid.