Advice Needed Jaeger 1224 parts questions

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Hah... Well, no hurry. I ordered that 300 piece set Martin linked to, so will be nice and new. The other is a bit mangled now with me trying to remove it.

For now, I used the middle wire from a coax cable to keep it in place and put the gearbox back together.

One thing I noticed is a bit of play between the two sprockets, which I can only assume is normal? It makes the magnetic wheel move maybe 1/8th of the way in either direction without the motor moving. Once the worm drive is engaged with the main rod, there won't be any play in it but during directional changes, it is likely to count one or two pulse without the main gear being engaged and causing miscounts. I noticed it with the 1.5m Gibby but doubt I will with the 1m. Not a huge deal but annoying and I am guessing replacement sprockets aren't available.

Thanks for all the help so far chaps!

Last edited:

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
OK, put it back together while I am away this weekend and moving the next.. so don't want to lose all the bits! Uploaded a bunch of videos... the first one is showing the play I was talking about earlier. Not sure what to do with but it doesn't seem like a huge issue.

The second one is more concerning.

I seem to be getting a clicking noise when the motor is turning in one direction, which seems to be coming from the main cog. It could be because the cog is slightly off centre on the spindle because of the make-shift circlip but it doesn't seem to be. Or the main shaft is off centre... It could also be that I tightened up worm drive adjusters too much and something is clicking there - not sure. The motor speed also seems to change as it goes through the arc... which again, suggests I did up the adjusters too much.

You can hear the clicking at 4 seconds, 21, 24, 26, 28... you get the idea. Happens when the wire on the spindle is at 9 o'clock-ish

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
As for the play Alex the small gear is worn, take a look here for a replacement,
http://www.sdp-si.com/Miniature/index.htm

As for the clicking put a metal bar to you ear and move it to were you think it is and then move it to the loudest bit, if that makes sense it helps locating were the fault is coming from, an old mechanics engine trick lol.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Thanks Martin. Yeah, I used the long screwdriver method to check if my dual mass flywheel was gone the other week! I think it's coming from the cogs themselves rather than inside the main gearing. Not at home now and won't have time to play with it for a few days.

That's an interesting cog site... someone should send them all the existing cogs inside the 1224 and create duplicates!

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
I'm adding this to CJs thread ..rather than starting new ones all the time ..
All 1224 refurb stuff ..particularly images should be kept together ..
These are priceless for re-furbers.
Anyway ..
My gunk arrived pre weekend ..and is damned good stuff ..
Here is the worm drive after cleaning ..
I've also now managed to removed the upper bearing which would not slide off due to a well rusted main axel ..
Look how clean it is now .. and just fine emery paper plus wire wool ..
The bearing now slides beautifully ..
Still have the prime gear to clean yet ..but letting the gunk do its stuff ..
The main reason for this addition to the thread ..
The donated motor was seized and wouldn't move ..
As yet I have no explanation for this ..as it now moves by finger rotation of one of the nylon cogs ..
but during the cleaning this fell out ..??
Note the circlip on the polystyrene block ..
No idea where it is from ...or indeed IF it is part of this motor even ?
I guess I now have to carefully scrutinise my other totally knackered 1224 ..to see if I can pin this down ..
Unless one of you guys recognise it ..perhaps by size ?
..and no it's not the same one on the worm cog that got loose the other day on CJs motor..
rgds
VSDSCF0020.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF0017.JPG
    DSCF0017.JPG
    302.6 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF0018.JPG
    DSCF0018.JPG
    304.1 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0019.JPG
    DSCF0019.JPG
    316.5 KB · Views: 16

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
And here are a couple of close ups of the damage the worm does to the prime gear over time ..
Some teeth are ok ..many have fairly deep bites into the metal ..
This would of course result in ..inaccuracies postioning the dish ..ie Play in the system ..
..which is where the tensioners come in ..as this play can be accomodated in the short term ..but obviously ..one day the 'play' will be too great...

This is also what I believe is the problem on my Moteck H180 ..
There is no getting away from it ..
Things wear out ..including me.
;)
rgds
VS

Attachments

• DSCF0021.JPG
    DSCF0021.JPG
    315.6 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF0022.JPG
    DSCF0022.JPG
    313.1 KB · Views: 54

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Thanks for posting these, Evan. I didn't bother cleaning up the existing grease with chemicals - just a quick wipe with a cloth and new application of multi-purpose grease.

This circlip holds the limiter adjusters on mine - it's the only one that I have there of this size.

Do you have the same play that I do?

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
Thanks for posting these, Evan. I didn't bother cleaning up the existing grease with chemicals - just a quick wipe with a cloth and new application of multi-purpose grease.

This circlip holds the limiter adjusters on mine - it's the only one that I have there of this size.

Do you have the same play that I do?
No idea atm buddy ...as it is still in bits ..
I'll let you know ..eventually.
Not a rush job this one ..
:)

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
Quick question for you Alex..
to stop sideways play in the worm drive housing there are 2 thin copper shims fitted on mine ...
I'm having trouble sliding them both in ..
were there some fitted on yours ? ..and if so exactly where were thes located ..
were they double thicknes or spaced apart 1 above the end worm housing and one bottom ?
It may be that I am ssuming they are fitted double thickness ..when in actual fact they were only single ?
rgds
Evan

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
This cog should be a pressed on cog Evan ?,

dscf0022-jpg.83296

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
Ok ...so found the reason why this motor died ..
You'll be interest in this Mickha ..
Wasn't seized at all ..
It wasn't that the worm wouldn't turn or the prime gear not rotate ..nor that the gearbox was damaged (as far as I can see) ..
Nor the limit switches/gearing faulty..
missing teeth on the nylon gear that drives the worm ..is the cause ..
I've attached photos ..
Check out the one in profile ..
Top right about 10 past 12 ..
There you'll see the problem ..
I will try an use the gear off my scrapper IF its still useable ..and IF I can remove it intact..
we shall see..
But I'd much rather replace it with new ..but of course ..
Parts no longer available..
Story of my life Sadly ...
in the TV trade also ...leading to many unhappy customers.
rgds
VSDSCF0023.JPG DSCF0024.JPG

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
I was planning to take it apart, but it would have taken me a lot longer, perhaps 3-5 Summer's, if I ever get my rear garden sorted !!!!!!
Seeing as you had another one, to use for parts, I was hoping you would have an easy repair, which never seems to happen;)
Hopefully you can get it working, and tracking the satellite arc, as you've already taken it apart, you might also consider some improvements, to strengthen it, and perhaps make it even quieter.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
My son in law left his work van on my drive last night he's a manager here, the next time I dismantle mine he will be taking a few/all of them to work with him :).

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
My son in law left his work van on my drive last night he's a manager here, the next time I dismantle mine he will be taking a few/all of them to work with him :).
View attachment 83317
TBH ..something similar could well be responsible for the 'play' you're seeing as well as the clicking ..
If your Son in Law can sort replacements for this gear ...say in metal ...that would indeed be excellent and I'd want one too ..
;)

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
DSCF0025.JPG
So ..would you like to see what caused the gears to jam ...stop moving ...and remove/wear down the teeth of that nylon gear ..
See the photo ..
these metal fragments removed from the teeth at the centre of the damaged area ..
How they got there is anyones guess ..
rgds
VS
Personally I suspect these were present in the motor from manufacture ..
possibly loose in the case ...from the original ally casting ..finally falling into the gears as they rotated..
you can even see a tooth impression in one part of the fragment ..
..in a V shaped indentation

Didn't spot em immediately on account they were under grease...

Last edited:

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
TBH ..something similar could well be responsible for the 'play' you're seeing as well as the clicking ..
If your Son in Law can sort replacements for this gear ...say in metal ...that would indeed be excellent and I'd want one too ..
;)
Lol Alex has play, my motor is fine atm, It could be months before I get round to making my own design but once I do I will see what I can get hold of, maybe give him a call and ask if you could send him the part he will try his best to get you one, they call him Gaz obviously mention me.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
Lol Alex has play, my motor is fine atm, It could be months before I get round to making my own design but once I do I will see what I can get hold of, maybe give him a call and ask if you could send him the part he will try his best to get you one, they call him Gaz obviously mention me.
I get confused easily these days ..
sorry for the mix up buddy ..
I'll be removing it at some point along with the worm drive gear from my B/E/R 1224 ...in order to see if it has survived ..
When I do I'll have something for search and reference..
cheers
Evan

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Quick question for you Alex..
to stop sideways play in the worm drive housing there are 2 thin copper shims fitted on mine ...
I'm having trouble sliding them both in ..
were there some fitted on yours ? ..and if so exactly where were thes located ..
were they double thicknes or spaced apart 1 above the end worm housing and one bottom ?
It may be that I am ssuming they are fitted double thickness ..when in actual fact they were only single ?
rgds
Evan
Hi Evan,

I am not sure which ones you mean. The ones on the worm drive or on the main spindle? I didn't take the worm drive out but from what I could see there was a big adjuster on the side which could be unscrewed and the drive taken out - it's the one that I think is responsible for sideways movement. There is a ball bearing on each side of those. Or do you mean the two red big adjusters which have springs inside and press the housing/worm drive against the main gear? I marked mine with a marker pen before undoing them but may need adjusting anyway. I didn't have any play when the 1.5m Gibby was sitting on it.

I would also ideally like to replace the big plastic cog with a new one... so maybe we can have one made from one of the companies Martin linked to? I have no idea about pitches or sizes though, so would probably be best to have one sent off. Reluctant to have it made in metal, as it could potentially incur more noise and more wear on the remaining plastic cogs it's driven by/against.

CJ