rio

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500 and now DM800
My Location
manchester
please can you tell me if this procedure will work on a worsley sat2 meter V2.5

radiobuff said:
I bought a new Lacuna (Wolsey) Mk4 satellite meter on eBay about a year ago and have had problems finding updates for the firmware and also problems with the batteries. I thought my experience with it may be of help to others.

The firmware can be updated using a USB cable, but the updates are hard to find. After much searching, I found the website carrying the updates. It is at _http://www.metersupport.co.uk/sat3loader.htm . I have tried updating the firmware using the loader and instructions on this site, and it works fine.

As for battery problems, the Mk 4 uses a battery pack comprising six Ni/MH cells. When I first received the meter, I found it would only charge for about 5 minutes before charging stopped. After eight repeat charge/ discharge cycles, this increased to several hours which allowed the meter to operate for about an hour before it needed re-charging. The meter was then stored for a few months (fully charged) and the batteries were found to be completely flat when I went to use it again 3 months later. When I tried to re-charge them, it was a repeat of the senario I found when I first purchased the meter, again requiring several charge/discharge cycles to get it going again. Has anyone else had a problem with the batteries in these meters?

I understand that a replacement battery pack for these meters costs £50 or more, so I decided to replace it with six standard AA size re-chargeable Ni/MH batteries which can be purchased for less than £10 from an internet supplier. I used ones with 2500mAH capacity fitted into a holder for 6 AA cells, which can be purchased for around £1. The old battery pack is easily removed from the meter and the new holder can be fitted by soldering the small plug off the old one on to the new one.

Having done this, I find the meter is now operating as it should and the new batteries now hold their charge much better and do not require this constant charging/discharging to activate them again.

johnwales

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
cam
My Location
manchester
modelhangar said:
Hi Guys I thought I would add this to the debate. I also found problems charging the Mk4 and mine would actually lock up after being on trickle charge for a while. I spoke to the company about this issue and holding down the on/off key for about 15 seconds start a hard reset. No probs for a while but trouble encountered connecting and the meter shutting down. I cycled the battery pack for about 1/2 a dozen times and again the meter worked OK. I also left mine stored for a couple of months, on trying to use the meter it showed it needed charging however this time it would not hold charge. I spoke to the guy that owns the company who explained.... The battery whilst connected is on permanent discharge as the circuit is draining it all the time. the only way to stop this is to charge the unit without fail every 2/3 weeks or disconnect the battery during storage. I did suggest a small micro switch fitted on the side to isolate the battery would be better than keep disconnecting via the plug plus its awkward. He agreed (Why not make it this way in the first place.) Obviously NiMh batteries like to be stored above a certain voltage, one of my cells must have dropped below the critical voltage and it then becomes scrap. I also spoke with a company to get the correct battery pack although, I had considered doing as you guys have done. The pack cost £35.00 including postage and the company was excellent. If any one want the address I shall find the receipt and post it on the site.
I have not upgraded my software for well over 12 months can anyone tell me what the advantages aer of the upgrade and version to go to.

Hope my ramblings help others
cheers
I have tried updating
and its asking for passwor ?
can you help

Sandra Lowe

Reaction score
I am trying to update the software on my partners satellite meter. I have downloaded the program that does this when the meter is connected but I cannot find the software update file to use with this program. Please can someone post a link to the files I need? (Before he drives me completely round the bend !!! :-( )many thanks

modelhangar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 6800
My Location
UK
Try the links above, connect to the web site and go to contact details. The company is based in Oldham, Nr. Manchester. I have never had need to update so I can not be of any further assistance, sorry.