Lidl bit of Hispasat - alias my life todate.

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pretend to know what I'm doing. Only the clever ones rumble me.
My Location
S. Yorks
I have finally got around to doing my first ever installation.
I have a motorised 88cm dish on the back (installed by the local installer in April last year), but I can only get 45e to 8w due to neighbours house. (I asked them if they would convert their house into a bungalow but they declined).:( So I thought the next best thing would be to put a dish up on the front to get Hispasat. I would never have dreamt of attempting this before joining this forum. I 've got all on putting an umbrella up on my own!:D

I found all the info I needed on this site by reading lots about other peoples experiences and recommendations, including favourite suppliers.

At the last Lidl 'Sat Bonanza', I dug deep and spent £22 on an 80cm dish, wall bracket and satfinder.
I bought 30 metres of PF100 (foam filled cable) from tlc-direct - it's quite a long way from the front of the house to the back far corner, and an Inverto 0.2LNB from Wizard Satellite (tenner delivered!) They actually sent a Lemon 0.2LNB, but I think they are the same company and the Lemon costs £2 more on the website. (We are talking Yorkshiremen and money here) - well chuffed!:D
I used Satlex Digital for setup info, and found Satcure's bit on how to fit an F connector very useful - yes we are talking complete Sat Bozo here.

I took an absolute age fitting the bracket (in between the raindrops), making sure I drilled the holes on template to get the pole vertical, although I know it's not critical on a static dish.
But once I'd done that (and it had stopped raining), the rest was a breeze. I had the inclination already set on the dish bracket (about 23 degrees according to Satlex).
I had the dish up, pointing in the general direction of where the sun is at 3pm BST (don't try this installation in the dark unless you have a compass and a miner's helmet) and hooked up my trusty Silvercrest satfinder - in anticipation.
I found a strong transponder from the list on this site, punched it into my receiver and had a signal more or less instantly, just by moving the dish a few degrees horizontally. (That squealing sound was music to my ears, until I realised the ladder was on the wife's foot).O-Ha
After no more than 10mins of careful adjustments, horizontal, vertical, skew, I had a Signal Level of 84% and Quality of 90% on my Fortec Star receiver. This is comparable to what I get on Hotbird with the 88cm dish, but I reckon I'm using a good 8-10 meters more of cable on this dish. Jobsagudden!

If I can do it then anyone can. Just do your homework first. All the info is here. I even played at fitting F connectors and tying the wife up with amalgamating tape:-doh! - I mean binding the joints with amalgamating tape before attempting the job.:-ohmy - No I wasn't in the boy scouts!
The only d.i.y. skills required were to drill four holes in a brick wall.

If anyone has read this far without slitting their wrists, you can put the knife down now!

Yorks

Pics 1,2,3 are Hispasat dish. Pic 4 motorised dish pointing at Hotbird with Lidl dish in the background. Nothing on wife and amalgamating tape yet.

madian

Reaction score
well done m8 it's a good feeling when you do it yourself?

in my books thats the only way to learn by doing it your self [and think of the money you saved]

WELLDONE

madian:-clap :-clap :-clap :-clap :-clap

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
madian said:
in my books thats the only way to learn by doing it your self [and think of the money you saved]

Yep. Ok I'm a Yorkshireman. No need to rub it in.:eek:

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
You could have at least painted the dish first!!! :-rofl2

That boring beige is, well, boring!!! :p :D

That's What I did with my 80cm lidl (minus those holes in the top of the rim, what do they do then? Are they rust holes (I.E. to make you buy a new dish next year cos the original has rusted away)?), Matte black, but you can have any colour you like, red, blue, orange, pink with yellow dots etc... :-rofl2 :D

But anyways, congrats on your first install, I've still to get an outdoor dish set up myself... :D

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
2cvbloke said:
You could have at least painted the dish first!!! :-rofl2

That's What I did with my 80cm lidl (minus those holes in the top of the rim, what do they do then? Are they rust holes (I.E. to make you buy a new dish next year cos the original has rusted away)?)

What size paint-brush would I need. As it's a Lidl dish would I need a metric brush or could I cut an imperial one down?

I think the holes are for threading the fairy lights set through that they will have on the website at ChristmasO-Ha

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Mentally unstable perhaps but a fine example of what this forum is all about ..... absolutely good on yer and a Yorkshireman as well ;) :-worship :eek:

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
Topper said:
Mentally unstable perhaps but a fine example of what this forum is all about ..... absolutely good on yer and a Yorkshireman as well ;) :-worship :eek:

Thanks m8. "Perhaps" doesn't come into it. But joking apart, yes what a great forum. I knew that some kind sole would be willing to help me out should I have ended up in the sticky stuff. :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Yorks said:
What size paint-brush would I need. As it's a Lidl dish would I need a metric brush or could I cut an imperial one down?

I think the holes are for threading the fairy lights set through that they will have on the website at ChristmasO-Ha

I just used Matte black car spray paint, much smoother finish (well, where it DIDN'T dribble!!! :-rofl2 ), just a couple of quid for a largeish tin... :D

As for fairy lights, I did that with a minidish last year... :D

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
2cvbloke said:
I just used Matte black car spray paint, much smoother finish (well, where it DIDN'T dribble!!! :-rofl2 ), just a couple of quid for a largeish tin... :D

As for fairy lights, I did that with a minidish last year... :D

Ermmmm..................British racing green is starting to appeal to me. Metallic of course.O-Ha

Just realised. The holes are probably bullet holes. I took a few in the back while fitting it. Hardly worth it for a 15 quid dish. The bar-stewards obviously managed to clip the edges.:-rofl2

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Looking at the colour of the sky you sure you don't live somewhere slightly more exotic than Yorkshire?

Lancashire maybe?

:p :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
mhku said:
Looking at the colour of the sky you sure you don't live somewhere slightly more exotic than Yorkshire?

Lancashire maybe?

:p :D

Lancashire + Exotic don't mix.... :-rofl2

Oh, and Metallic + Satellite Dish really doesn't mix at all.... :p

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
No. It wer one er them rare acasions when't wind changed direction, en blew ault smoke un smog in tutha direction. Terwaards Darbisher a think!
I only dream a goin on mi holidies ter Lancasher. O-Ha

(Use Babel Fish for translation)

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
:D :D I've got some friends from oop norf so I could just about understand your last post ;)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
mhku said:
:D :D I've got some friends from oop norf so I could just about understand your last post ;)
well am reight chuffed fothee, we aint all that bad up ere thanus :p

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
Topper said:
well am reight chuffed fothee, we aint all that bad up ere thanus :p

Thanks mucker. That dead reight. (Hope the portuguese are following this!)

Eee, Now av got mi dish up a can't wait ter av a gander at cabo, if wi c'n get sum keighs.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gawd help us!!! I have to put up with that all day!!! Bleedin' Lancasharians...:p :D

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
2cvbloke said:
Gawd help us!!! I have to put up with that all day!!! Bleedin' Lancasharians...:p :D

One takes it from that, that you are not originally from the north of England and don't actually own a flat cap or whippet!:-rofl2O-Ha

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Yorks said:
One takes it from that, that you are not originally from the north of England and don't actually own a flat cap or whippet!:-rofl2O-Ha

Bang on the dot.... :p

I'm originally from Co. Durham (no, I'm NOT a Geordie!!! They live north of the Tyne!!!)... :D

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
2cvbloke said:
Bang on the dot.... :p

I'm originally from Co. Durham (no, I'm NOT a Geordie!!! They live north of the Tyne!!!)... :D

Why eye man:). arlreet. Top geeza.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location