Motor setup dilemna - 28E only, or every satellite apart from 28E

Vinniek

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB500, DM800 (snide), MBOX cam, DiSEqC Motor
My Location
London
Thanks to Rolfw and wod for the replies to my previous set up question, with there help I sort of got it right first time.

I loaded the PET123 settings file on my DreamBox and set up the motor configuration settings.

I selected BBC Prime and the dish turned to Thor (0.8W), and I then tilted my dish till I got a good signal.

Now I get a good snr of around 80% on all the popular satellites all the way around the arc from 30W to 42E.

The only problem is the snr on 28E and 16E is below 50% and I cant lock on these two sats.

I have used the DB to select a channel on 28E, adjusted the dish slightly to get a snr of 80%, and then all the other sats have a low snr and I cant lock on them!

Do I need to skew the LNB or alter something on the motor, or does the dish have to slide up or down on the motor arm, I have fixed it roughy center on the vertical motor arm?

Thanks again for any help

chib

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate Super FTA 1000D, 85cm Digiquest dish,Skystar 2 card,Moteck SG2100A motor, Netgem i-player,Hauppauge WinToGo TV card
My Location
London,England
Check that the pole your motor is attached to is dead straight at 90 Degrees to the horiztonal.

Vinniek

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
* chib

Thanks for the reply.

My pole is dead straight (ooo arr missess!!).

I have a flat roof and last week mounted the pole on a large pavement slab recently donated by Murphy's. I even used fast drying cement to level out underneath the base of the slab, while using a spirit level on the pole.

So, I'm pretty sure its level, but worth checking again.

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
could be any number of things :
- your pole isn't straight (all directions)
- the motor-arm isn't mounted at 90° on this pole
- 0° on motor is not aligned with true 0°
- wrong inclination for your local location
- wrong location coordinates in the dreambox
any of these (or in combination) will result in your dish not "following" the arc where the satellites are located in the sky.
it's a real pain in the ass, but you have a setup problem with your dish, which you need to identify & rectify. Your dish MUST follow this arc, if you want a good reception of all the satellites available for your location. The last item (wrong location coordinates in dreambox) can be easily tested by NOT using the USALS setup and by manually adjusting your satellite positions until you find the point of maximum strenght.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Which way do you have to tilt the dish to bring in the best Astra 28.2 and do you have the same problem on 30W?

You may find that you need to adjust the elevation of the motor slightly, to make the arc less or more curved.

Vinniek

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Finally sorted, was weird!

I went on the roof and got my partner to sentd the dish to 28E by selecting BBC1 and dish moved to 0°.

Tryed all the otehr sats and the dish moved as it should, went back to another channel on 28E and again the dish travelled back to 0°.

So reinstalled the image from scratch again and it works perfect now....

Thanks again!