Motorised Satellite line of sight

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Fano said:
Sounds good.
I thought polar mounts had a fixed arc ~70 degrees or +/-35 degrees ?

Polarmounts can vary enormously, and can also be adapted by the end user to align up with almost any position on the arc depending on the brackets and motor used.

Fano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
T90 Dish and Smart 60cm Dish @28.2E
Receivers:Dm800s,Dm600s,Dm500s,
Ferguson Ariva 120,Opticum x403p,Tm 500.
Satlink 6906 meter
My Location
Ireland
Channel Hopper said:
Polarmounts can vary enormously, and can also be adapted by the end user to align up with almost any position on the arc depending on the brackets and motor used.
Ok I understand now.Interesting.

Fivestella

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sony 32'' LCD
Pace Sky+
Sony RDR-HXD890
TM-5400 CI+USB Super
My Location
West Mids
Hi all, my first post.

A simialar question to Fano's really.

Having recently purchased a Technomate TM-5400 CI+USB Super and learnt how to drive it whilst connected to my $ky dish.

I have decided it is time to lash out on a motorised dish. Now SWMBO has stated catergoricaly that no way is she going to have a dish bolted to the front of my south facing house, or to the gable end.

My other option is to attach it to the rear gable wall of my garage which is situated in my garden.

My latitude is 52.5 degrees north and a few degrees west. Yes I am in the UK.

Having located various satellites via the excellent Satellite Dish Alignment / Setup Calculator 2.0 and thier elevations.

Now here is my question. For example the Hellas sat at 39E and an EL of 19deg. is peeping over my nieghbours roof at me. Now the angle between from the centre of my proposed dish and the apex of my nieghbours house is a nominal 8deg. Giving a theoretical available angle of 11deg.

Would it be possible to pick up Hellas? This is probably the worst example.

I look forward to your replies.

Regards Fivestella

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Why not put the dish in the same place as the $ky one and tell the wife the dish material expands due to the cold weather (you might get away with an 80cm, anymore is proportional to gullibility and persuasion)
Wine and dine her tomorrow

Fivestella

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sony 32'' LCD
Pace Sky+
Sony RDR-HXD890
TM-5400 CI+USB Super
My Location
West Mids
Channel Hopper said:
Why not put the dish in the same place as the $ky one and tell the wife the dish material expands due to the cold weather (you might get away with an 80cm, anymore is proportional to gullibility and persuasion)
Wine and dine her tomorrow

Unfortunatley she is not that gullable :) And she leaves the wine drinking to me. :-rofl2

Working on the theory that if a satellite is in my line of site even if it is above someones roof, I should be able to pick it up.

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
Channel Hopper said:
Why not put the dish in the same place as the $ky one and tell the wife the dish material expands due to the cold weather ...........:-rofl2:-rofl2:-rofl2

For measuring angles first try dishpointer.com & the obstacle option.

You should measure the angles from the bottom of the dish for the whole dish to see a weak or good signal and the top to gauge if just part of the dish is peeking over a roof that can still get some strong sats too.

satellite eye

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
if your in a coastal area with strong winds the Diseqc might not be such a good idea,there is corrosion to think about also.
it might be worth placing in the garden but park it at a sideways angle to the south west winds.