Advice Needed Motorising a Zone 2

cwsat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 85cm / Dragonsat 3000 motor / Inverto Black Ultra LNB
My Location
Midlands
Hi all,

My uncle has asked me to supply and fit a basic motorised system for reception of 28.2e, 23.5e, 19.2e, 16e and 13e.

The slight issue is my aunt. She is completely against it and won’t let him put up my old 85cm Gibertini as it’s a big white eyesore:oops:

So I have suggested motorising a Sky Zone 2, we have shown her a couple of local ones and she’s said that’s ok.

I know reception of 16e will be difficult on it and he is aware of that, it’s 19.2e, 13e and 28.2e he really wants. I have an old TM2300 he can have so it’s the dish.

I keep seeing 80cm Zone 2’s advertised. Do these actually exist?

Secondly, I have been on Purplesats website and it seems he uses a particular Zone 2 for motorised installations. The rear bracket seems to clamp straight onto the motor on the one he uses.

Any idea what MK Zone 2 I need?

Mooncamm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 metre Gibertini dish, Octagon SX88 Receiver
My Location
Lincolnshire
Hi all,

My uncle has asked me to supply and fit a basic motorised system for reception of 28.2e, 23.5e, 19.2e, 16e and 13e.

The slight issue is my aunt. She is completely against it and won’t let him put up my old 85cm Gibertini as it’s a big white eyesore:oops:

So I have suggested motorising a Sky Zone 2, we have shown her a couple of local ones and she’s said that’s ok.

I know reception of 16e will be difficult on it and he is aware of that, it’s 19.2e, 13e and 28.2e he really wants. I have an old TM2300 he can have so it’s the dish.

Secondly, I have been on Purplesats website and it seems he uses a particular Zone 2 for motorised installations. The rear bracket seems to clamp straight onto the motor on the one he uses.

Any idea what MK Zone 2 I need?
I am doing the same as you. I have to wait until the warmer weather as I am retired and my bones can't do the winter. I have enjoyed KU band satellite for 35 years. I have a 1 metre Gibertini dish as my main dish and wish to remain within the law so my second dish is going to be a Triax 60cm dish I think on a Technomate motor. I have also bought a couple of lnb multi holders so if I change my mind I can go that route. If I do, I want 28 east, 19 east,13 east and I might throw in 23.5 east as its a decent space to fit ordinary lnb's into as I don't have the slim lnb's. If you google World of Satellite they have 60 cm & 80 cm dishes. (Last time I browsed their site) When I have used a 60 cm dish in the past, its was very much a back up dish, and rain can easily wipe out signals. It is better than nowt if the main 1 metre dish gets into trouble. Good luck. :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I have installed a couple of Zone 2 dishes on Moteck clone motors, I think I was able to bolt the wall mount version using an exhaust clamp but I will need to look back through some receipts to verify.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
I have mk2 Zone 2s, the original pole is 1.25", the Technomate TM2600's shaft is too large - around 50-55mm IIRC.

Offtensive

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Q, GigaBlue UE 4K, Zone 1 28.2e, Zone 1 30W. Kathrein 1m 5W - 23E
My Location
Midlands
@Ferret has done this for someone iirc

that' just marketing. I think they are like 54 or 56cm x 74 or 76cm

cwsat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
There are a couple of motorised Zone 2’s here.

They all look the same MK of minidish to me.

Beli1910

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 150 with diqec motor 90E -30W
Wave frontier t90 45E-5W
Triax 110-,motor
Laminas 1.8m and Laminas 120
Chanel master 125
Gibertini 150 fix
Gibertini 125
Etc....
My Location
Sevnica 8290-Slovenija
Why don't you just put a T90 antenna. It should be sufficient for your wishes and needs. It will definitely give much better results than a 60cm antenna on a Diqec motor.

cwsat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Why don't you just put a T90 antenna. It should be sufficient for your wishes and needs. It will definitely give much better results than a 60cm antenna on a Diqec motor.
Budget and it’s a bigger eyesore than my Gibertini.

Fisty McB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See my signature...
My Location
County Tyrone, N. Ireland
My initial thought is that most Diseqc motors' mounting poles will be too thick for a Sky Zone 2 dish mount. Is a universal perforated/mesh 60-65cm dish a possible alternative?

Not to mention that from my own experience a Sky Zone 2 might be touch & go at 16E for some channels, or at least haven't much of a rain fade margin?

Last edited:

cwsat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
My initial thought is that most Diseqc motors' mounting poles will be too thick for a Sky Zone 2 dish mount. Is a universal perforated/mesh 60-65cm dish a possible alternative.

Not to mention that from my own experience a Sky Zone 2 might be touch & go at 16E for some channels, or at least haven't much of a rain fade margin?
It will be marginal on 16e but he’s aware of that. I could never pick it up on my Triax TD65.

There are photos of zone 2’s mounted to diseqc motors on the purplesat link I provided, I am just trying to work out what mark zone 2 dish he used.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
I set up a Penta 85cm, for my parents, it performs well, and looks good.

cwsat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
motorised_sky_dish_2a.jpg

Any idea what mark zone 2 that is?

Fisty McB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See my signature...
My Location
County Tyrone, N. Ireland
It will be marginal on 16e but he’s aware of that. I could never pick it up on my Triax TD65.

There are photos of zone 2’s mounted to diseqc motors on the purplesat link I provided, I am just trying to work out what mark zone 2 dish he used.
I can certainly understand how using a Sky Zone 2 compared to even a perforated 60cm universal dish would look a lot less conspicuous to certain people. I do wonder about the issue of LNB skew when using a Zone 2 in those circumstances though, but not likely to really matter too much for what you/your uncle wants (probably set the skew for 16E with the rest being powerful enough to not be otherwise too important)?

Mooncamm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 metre Gibertini dish, Octagon SX88 Receiver
My Location
Lincolnshire
I can certainly understand how using a Sky Zone 2 compared to even a perforated 60cm universal dish would look a lot less conspicuous to certain people. I do wonder about the issue of LNB skew when using a Zone 2 in those circumstances though, but not likely to really matter too much for what you/your uncle wants (probably set the skew for 16E with the rest being powerful enough to not be otherwise too important)?
I like that advice and will bear it in mind when I fit my 60cm dish - thanks.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Any idea what mark zone 2 that is?

Quite different to mine so likely not a mk2. Looks similar to those still sold new but with only one U-bolt rather than two.

I've lifted the shadows, might help others identify the dish:
Dish

cwsat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Quite different to mine so likely not a mk2. Looks similar to those still sold new but with only one U-bolt rather than two.

I've lifted the shadows, might help others identify the dish:
View attachment 154119
I think it’s a MK4 Triax with a pole mount?

Attachments

• IMG_5535.png
    IMG_5535.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 20

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
I think it’s a MK4 Triax with a pole mount?
That image looks like my Raven mk2s, the TM2600 shaft fits inside the bracket but with no space for a U-bolt. TBH I thought all Zone 2s were pole mount but could be wrong.

cwsat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
That image looks like my Raven mk2s, the TM2600 shaft fits inside the bracket but with no space for a U-bolt. TBH I thought all Zone 2s were pole mount but could be wrong.
I was thinking that. It doesn’t look wide enough. Wonder how they have adapted it to fit.