Mounting a motorised dish on a flat roof

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
The holes in the brackets when fixed to the wall will have scope for adjustment, but you will of course have made sure that they are plumb with each other (using a plumb line), so very little adjustment in the (three dimensional) x-axis will be necessary.

Llew

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a sky mini dish + a Dreambox 600S with Gemini- 430 and CCcam 2.0.8
My Location
Cornwall UK
Yes but they will only have scope for adjustment on one plane?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
No, two planes - one for adjusting the pole on the brackets, and one for adjusting the brackets on the wall.

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
Obviously it will have scope for adustment in two planes before it is attached to the wall. When it is securely attached to the wall will it have scope for adjustment in one or two planes?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
The T&Ks are the better solution. The pole can be adjusted left and right, and forward and backwards. It is also much stronger and more stable than the L-shaped bracket. It can be made spot-on vertical every time, without any difficulty.

The L-shaped bracket is only really any good for a fixed dish, unless you like making life difficult for yourself.

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
Thanks for wrapping that up nicely!

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
erukus said:
When it is securely attached to the wall will it have scope for adjustment in one or two planes?
The holes in the mounting brackets are elongated so they can slide left to right. The same is true of the holes where the mast is attached allowing adjustment in both vertical planes.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Which satellite is your minidish pointing at in the picture above?

It seems to me that if it is pointing at 28.2 East unless your motorised dish on the flank wall or on the Garage roof, you won't get 1 West or any further West.

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
Yes you are right this is a really silly error by me but I thought I had a flat roof at the outset of this thread until I went out and observed it more closely OOPS sorry that was really dumb It is a rented accomodation I am hoping to put it on the wall now I have marked the picture with an X if you have a look can you tell me if this is an appropriate position to recieve 1W and the other satellites

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
If you can get away with it, id mount it on the wall facing left, (Where the chair is).

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yes, the south facing wall would be ideal.

On the wall with the cross, you wouldn't get much past 1W as the dish would hit the bracket, and be blocked by the wall.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
How about going up to 18" or 24" T&K's and mounting the dish as far towards the corner of the wall as possible? That way the rim of the dish would 'peek' round the corner.

Alternately, you could mount it between the top and bottom mounts of that aerial on your south wall, if no-one objected and the mast was really plumb vertical.

By the way, you're going to have a difficult job painting out that red cross on the wall, seems a lot of trouble to go to just to mark up a dish site :-rofl2

Pete

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
erukus said:
Yes you are right this is a really silly error by me but I thought I had a flat roof at the outset of this thread until I went out and observed it more closely OOPS sorry that was really dumb It is a rented accomodation I am hoping to put it on the wall now I have marked the picture with an X if you have a look can you tell me if this is an appropriate position to recieve 1W and the other satellites

There are easier fixing positions like the far wall as said, but you can still mount the TK on the spot marked "X" if you wish. Should see a reasonable amount of the West satellites but the dish will been very exposed and visible.

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
Really,

Thanks for telling me that -- thats pretty important. At position 1 in the photo I am attaching with this post this would be the easiest for me to install. Position 2 would be extra complicated. Would position 1 be sufficent or would the wall with the sky dish get in the way? Thanks v much!!

Attachments

• Picture 0111.jpg
    Picture 0111.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 48

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Position 1 would be fine, the wall is too far round to get in the way I think.

Position 2 looks to have access problems.

It does of course depend on the view of the arc you have at each point as well though.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
erukus said:
Really,

Thanks for telling me that -- thats pretty important. At position 1 in the photo I am attaching with this post this would be the easiest for me to install. Position 2 would be extra complicated. Would position 1 be sufficent or would the wall with the sky dish get in the way? Thanks v much!!

Pos 1 would be the easiest option. To add to my earlier post re: mounting on the spot marked X, to see over the West the dish would need to be mounted on a TK and above the roof line.

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
Position 1 it is then! So is anywhere in that area ok then? should I try to keep it to as close to the end as possible? Satelliteman can you confirm that the wall with the sky dish will not interfere! If you could mark on the photo exactly where I should put it that would be great. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Without a correct site survey, it's only approx.

Attachments

• Picture 0111.jpg
    Picture 0111.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 44

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Judging from the angle of the minidish, the position 1 wall faces south. Judging from the position of the other wall, it would not get in the way,as you'd be below the horizon before you got that far.

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
Ok I have added some more pics that I have taken from inside the upstairs bathroom to see the view from where the satellite dish will be. I am doing this as I need to be sure as my landlord is ok with four holes only so i get one chance only.

Here is what the numbered point correspond to 1 the window i took the pics from 2 the bottom of the aerial from outside 2A the bottom of aerial from inside 3 proposed location for dish 4 bottom of second aerial from outside 4A bottom of second aerial from inside.

So the question is will th neighbours house or anything else you experts can spot block the signal from ths position or will I be okay?

Thanks

Attachments

• Picture 01111.jpg
    Picture 01111.jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Picture 1112.jpg
    Picture 1112.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 35