Moving to Italy

jjj69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VS X on 110
My Location
Fl, USA
Hey guys I am moving from the US to Italy. I have 2 Veiwsat Xtr boxes and I don’t see to much support for them here. I really need some help on how to get started. I guess I have to start from scratch with everything.

1. What sats (foot prints) do I have to work with??
2. What box should I get or can get for optimal viewing??
3. What kind of dish should I get??
4. Where can I get the software??

Thanks for the help and I apologize now if my post is not in the correct location. I understand this site is being worked on and I am still getting formularized with it.

Thank You

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
jjj69 said:
Hey guys I am moving from the US to Italy. I have 2 Veiwsat Xtr boxes and I don’t see to much support for them here. I really need some help on how to get started. I guess I have to start from scratch with everything.

Thanks for the help and I apologize now if my post is not in the correct location. I understand this site is being worked on and I am still getting formularized with it.

Thank You

Hi jjj69 and welcome to the forum.

In Italy you can subscribe to the Sky Italia package. You need a dish pointing to Hot Bird 13E.
They can do the installation for you, the receiver is included.
You can read all about it in this thread:
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/sky-italia/103975-sky-italia-package.html

I have been trying to get this package for sometime but it is very difficult unless you live in Italy. So you will have a big advantage to start with.
Other than that, there are many interseting satellites.

Check this link from Lyngsat
http://www.lyngsat.com/europe.html

DreamBox is quite popular. There are several models. It all depends on your budget.

This will depend on which satellite you want to point to.
Check the footprints of each satellite and this should give you an idea of the size.

There are many encryption systems in Europe.
It will depend on the package that would interest you.
You can always try buying an official smart card.
Good Luck:)

jjj69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VS X on 110
My Location
Fl, USA
Can you hook me up with a how to guide for Italy??? I have a good understanding on how to set up FTA boxes with 3rd party software in the states but I don’t know too much about Linux based boxes. Basically, am I going to have to subscribe or is there a fix out there for Italy and can I have the link??? OOO and can I use my C***** Dish over there????

Thank You

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Just to but in for a moment of clarification here. FTA in the states means a patched box that contains emus and keys, FTA in Europe mean a standard unpatched box which can only receive Free To Air programs.

jjj69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VS X on 110
My Location
Fl, USA
Ok, so what I am getting here is that I have to call and subscribe. Then receive a card and hook it up to my box. Now can I use my current Veiwsat boxes and dish over there???
Better yet if you have a good link that I can reference it would help me a lot.
Thank you

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Your box should be OK for European use, power supplies are normally 90 -240V working in these boxes (check your manual).

RF modulator may be a problem if you are considering hitching up to a TV with RF in - it'll most likely be NTSC and NA channels 3/4 with F connectors if bought in the US (Belling-Lee connectors are used for RF in European TV's)

Llew

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, but if the OP wants to tinker with patches etc, then he can pretty much forget the viewsat box, he would need to get a box which is software supported in Europe.

@ jjj69, have a look at the Dreambox section, this is a great box for hobby satellite, it is networkable, plus it can download EMUs and keys from the internet, there is also a an Idiot Guide covering most aspects of operation.

You still haven't said whereabouts in Italy you are going to be living. It is important, as the best source of English language channels is Astra 28.2 East, but the good Free To Air channels like the BBC and ITV are on a restricted beam and not easily received from a large part of Italy.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
jjj69 said:
Ok, so what I am getting here is that I have to call and subscribe. Then receive a card and hook it up to my box. Now can I use my current Veiwsat boxes and dish over there???
Better yet if you have a good link that I can reference it would help me a lot.
Thank you

Sky Italia can only be viewed with a subscription card.
I suggest that you would send them an e-mail now and ask if you can get a subscription and installation when you have settled in Italy.
It might depend on your status and I also read that you would need a tax number before they agree to hook you up. So clarify first.

Otherthan that, there are a lot of open (FTA) channels from Hot Bird, Astra and others. But usually the best is encrypted.
Some channels can be opened. It all depends on what you want to watch.

jjj69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VS X on 110
My Location
Fl, USA
Sorry about that. I am going to live in pordenone italy. 1 more thing, can i pick up uk birds??

Thank you

jjj69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VS X on 110
My Location
Fl, USA
HB13dish can you im me in theis fourm? (If you dont mind)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
jjj69 said:
Sorry about that. I am going to live in pordenone italy. 1 more thing, can i pick up uk birds??

Thank you

That's what I mentioned above and why I asked for your location. :)

For the main UK terrestrial channels on Astra 28.2 East like BBC and ITV, a 1.2m dish will be required at that location (possibly slightly bigger), there's a whole forum section on this satellite. There are other channels which can be received with a standard sized dish, but most of the watchable ones are subscription.

jjj69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VS X on 110
My Location
Fl, USA
Can i use my dish 500 overthere???

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Which LNB does it have, don't some of them use circular polarisation?

jjj69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VS X on 110
My Location
Fl, USA
lol, dude i really dont know. i know that people consider them universal. not like Direct that only works on there sats.

So i should get a dreambox2 and a 2mm dish??

jjj69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VS X on 110
My Location
Fl, USA
Looks like veiwsat is not to popular over there!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No, I can only remember seeing viewsat mentioned by North American members, but then again the whole scene is different, so probably not surprising.

OK, it's the direct LNBs which use circular polarisation then, I remembered that one of the providers did.

A 2 metre dish or thereabouts would give you a lot of flexibility, probably doesn't need to be that big, but will be a lot more fun. :)

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
jjj69 said:
HB13dish can you im me in theis fourm? (If you dont mind)

jjj69 please repeat without the shorthand so that I can understand your request.

jjj69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VS X on 110
My Location
Fl, USA
HB13dish can you tell me what is my best bet for pordenone italy and what is your setup. Thank you

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
jjj69 said:
HB13dish can you tell me what is my best bet for pordenone italy and what is your setup. Thank you

You can see my setup on the left side under My System.
As I said before, I would subscribe to Sky Italia if I was living in Italy, but I would experiment with other setups as a hobby.
Any other system would not guarantee you uninterrupted service for a whole year.