My first toroidal 90 multi dish install with 20 lnbs

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
T90, 1 black ultra HighGrain Quuad, 20 smart lnb (2 twins), 16/1 diseqc switch, 2x emp 4/1, S9HD, Vu+ Uno,
My Location
South Wales
HI guys

need some help here, not tech related, but a lost some channels - not sure whats happened,

Kids channels POP, POPGIRL, TINYPOP and KIX have disappeared from the 28.2 setup.

does any know how to get them back or best way to search for them on the ET5k?

my wee ones are not going to be happy when they get in from the school run.

cheers
ps weather is pants and not going to add any lnbs at the moment because the ladders have also disappeared!!!! - I think the wife may have something to do with that. Checking with the neighbours incase it a poly to stop me going up there due to winter and all that

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
They have move to 11307 V 27500 2/3.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
T90, 1 black ultra HighGrain Quuad, 20 smart lnb (2 twins), 16/1 diseqc switch, 2x emp 4/1, S9HD, Vu+ Uno,
My Location
South Wales
Huevos said:
They have move to 11307 V 27500 2/3.

Cheers H

long time no speal - hope all is well with the sat world.

Thanks for the heads up - just need to work out how to scan for them with the et5000, never scanned with just the numbers

G

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
update

went to pick up and 18" tk bracket from the local electrical store including stuff to hide the cables but they had no 18" left.

Is the 24" TK bracket any good or too big for the 90?

Any thoughts on this as I will be using 5x M12 100mm to secure them. I am moving up from the M10 810s

I have measured the distance from the wall and it states a 20" clearance. I have that space so thats not a issue - just the weight.

I guess with this I will be able to turn the dish towards the East quite a bit.

Any thoughts on this compared to the 18" version?

cheers

Fano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
T90 Dish and Smart 60cm Dish @28.2E
Receivers:Dm800s,Dm600s,Dm500s,
Ferguson Ariva 120,Opticum x403p,Tm 500.
Satlink 6906 meter
My Location
Ireland
godzillafan said:
update

went to pick up and 18" tk bracket from the local electrical store including stuff to hide the cables but they had no 18" left.

Is the 24" TK bracket any good or too big for the 90?

Any thoughts on this as I will be using 5x M12 100mm to secure them. I am moving up from the M10 810s

Any thoughts on this compared to the 18" version?

24" brackets is overkill for the T90 looking at your pics.
The back of your house looks like its facing due south so the T90 will be centred ~10e ( assuming 12w to 28e) so it wont be angled too much in towards the wall,it will be fairly parallel.

As someone with 24" T brackets myself ,I wouldnt recommend putting a dish as heavy as the T90 on them.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Fano said:
24" brackets is overkill for the T90 looking at your pics.
The back of your house looks like its facing due south so the T90 will be centred ~10e ( assuming 12w to 28e) so it wont be angled too much in towards the wall,it will be fairly parallel.

As someone with 24" T brackets myself ,I wouldnt recommend putting a dish as heavy as the T90 on them.

Thanks F

I ended up getting some 18" instead after I went to the wholeseller to get the bits. The 24" was huge.

The 18" seemed more like it and i discussed it with the chaps at the store they all agreed that with a 1M spread the 18" will do a better job than my current 12".

I found out the main problem with my MkIII setup was to get 19 plumb in the middle I had to get bigger brackets.

I have them now and also invested in some better plugs and now just need to wait for a clear weekend.

but, its started to snow in Wales this morning typical!

keep you posted MkIV attempt will be on here shortly.

Ther whole thing will come down for the 4th time and lowered by 1FT (extra wind proectection) and then put up with 18" bracket.

Cheers

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Hi Guys

The kids break up from school in two weeks for the Easter and brother is coming down with his family over the hols, so I will have a few pairs of hands to get the dish down and redone and back up with my original plans.

I will be updating in a few weeks time with photos.

I been away from the sites for a while, but any new sats in the air worth adding to the East / West setup with 19 in the middle?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Could try squeezing in Eutelsat 3C @ 3.1E if you haven't already. Be a tight fit though :eek:

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Llew said:
Could try squeezing in Eutelsat 3C @ 3.1E if you haven't already. Be a tight fit though :eek:

what lnb should I use as it will be tight, it will have to be a thin/silm job?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
godzillafan said:
what lnb should I use as it will be tight, it will have to be a thin/silm job?
What do you want to receive from 3E? :confused :confused :confused

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Not sure not even checked what on it?

Hold on..I see what you mean.

But original question I am still using smart titaniums singles and twins - what thins lnbs are good if I cant get the close sats to pick up singals

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I've found the Alps range to be quite good, like this _http://hisat.com/proddetail.php?prod=LNBALPSSINGLE

Also used a narrower headed one but it's not ideal for fringe type satellites. Obviously, as the head of the LNB is reduced in size you will find it's more susceptible to rain reducing the signal. Try not to use them on a sat you'll be watching frequently otherwise you'll be popping outside to wipe off the rain.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
godzillafan said:
I am still using smart titaniums singles and twins - what thins lnbs are good if I cant get the close sats to pick up singals
If they are two degrees apart use a Smart Titanium (or better a Black Ultra) on the weaker of the 2 satellites and an Inverto MultiConnect on the stronger one. I do that on 7W and 5W with the MultiConnect on 5W.

On 9E and 10E I'm using a MultiConnect on each one, which works much better than trying to balance 1 LNB between 2 satellites.

Re: 3E, personally I just wouldn't bother. I like some of the C-band channels but right now in Ku-band just some religious stuff in Arabic.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Huevos said:
If they are two degrees apart use a Smart Titanium (or better a Black Ultra) on the weaker of the 2 satellites and an Inverto MultiConnect on the stronger one. I do that on 7W and 5W with the MultiConnect on 5W.

On 9E and 10E I'm using a MultiConnect on each one, which works much better than trying to balance 1 LNB between 2 satellites.

Re: 3E, personally I just wouldn't bother. I like some of the C-band channels but right now in Ku-band just some religious stuff in Arabic.

Top man H

Any ideas who got the best deals on the multiC's?

3 does not that good after all and not worth wasting time over

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
godzillafan said:
Any ideas who got the best deals on the multiC's?
I don't know because I live more than 1000 miles away from you. Start with the forum sponsors.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Huevos said:
The reason I told you to have 19.2ºE in the centre is because it is a real satellite. Lining up on an imaginary satellite (20.6ºE) with no previous experience, no digital leveling equipment, and no signal meter, is not something I'd wish on my worst enemy.

Use these figures:

• User latitude: 51.6ºN
  • User longitude: -3.2ºE
  • East satellite: user defined 43.4ºE
  • West satellite: 5ºW

That gives 19.2ºE as central and skew as 104º. The reason I said 105º skew is because the skew scale is in 5º steps and if you set it to 105º that will be close enough for you to get the skew perfect by fine adjustment based on signal strength.

The skew adjustment is at right angles to the satellite (see picture below) so however you skew the dish it remains pointing at the same point in the sky. It's a bit like rotating the wheel of a car, even though the wheel turns the axle remains pointing in the same direction.

Hi H

Dish is coming down this weekend and putting up the 18" TKs and then redoing the dish bar with a new one and starting on MkIV

if I stick to the 104 skrew plan - do I have it at 90 (level) and then tune 19E on 0 or do I have it at 104 and then tune in 19E on 0?

Just reread all the thread again to make sure I dont mess up again. It will also give me a chance to check I have the TK plumb as I can get. And more importantly more space behind the dish to work on those bolts! I am sure when I was skrewing the dish, it was all moving.

thanks in advance again

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
For the LNB at zero skew makes no difference to alignment.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Huevos said:
For the LNB at zero skew makes no difference to alignment.

so have the dish at 90
then tune the 19E lnb as normal
then start truning dish by 14 to 104
recheck lnb for best results

BUT do I check/tune the 42E lnb at the same time as 19E when dish is at 90

or should I tune 19E at 0 when dish is at 90 on its own

and then 42E when dish is at 104 once 19 is done

If 42E is too far what 2nd one can I tune with 19E or should I stick to 19E on 0 ONLY!

Hope that makes sense

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Obviously if you skew the dish you will have to skew the LNB for 19º (central LN:cool: in the opposite direction. But if you have to realign the dish something is wrong in the way you have assembled it. You should be able to skew the dish 30º without having any alignment effect on the central LNB. Once this is correct add you most east and most west LNBs and skew the dish so these are aligned. Again, if you got step one correct on the central LNB, bot the east and the west LNB will reach optimum skew at the same time. Do not realign the dish when adding LNBs. The only thing you should be adjusting is dish skew, LNB skew and position on the bar. If you have to change the alignment something has gone wrong in step one.

Also, in step one where you are adjusting the dish alignment you want the dish skew adjustment pretty tight so you can only move it with moderate force. Any loser and the dish will be hanging and when tightened the alignment will change.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Huevos said:
Obviously if you skew the dish you will have to skew the LNB for 19º (central LN:cool: in the opposite direction. But if you have to realign the dish something is wrong in the way you have assembled it. You should be able to skew the dish 30º without having any alignment effect on the central LNB. Once this is correct add you most east and most west LNBs and skew the dish so these are aligned. Again, if you got step one correct on the central LNB, bot the east and the west LNB will reach optimum skew at the same time. Do not realign the dish when adding LNBs. The only thing you should be adjusting is dish skew, LNB skew and position on the bar. If you have to change the alignment something has gone wrong in step one.

Also, in step one where you are adjusting the dish alignment you want the dish skew adjustment pretty tight so you can only move it with moderate force. Any loser and the dish will be hanging and when tightened the alignment will change.

Cheers H

I think my choice of words got me confused along the way and trying to explain it got me further confused. To cut things short I am trying to do what you have explained.

So where I could have gone wrong originally - I am trying to make sure I correct it along the way. So this is what happening this morning (after I cut the grass)!

1. Taking the dish down to recheck all the screws and tidy it up
2. I can also add the new TK 18" and make sure its plumb as can be (incase original TK was out)
3. Putting a new aluminium bar on (brought it now) as last one rusted
4. Putting the dish back on and having it level at 90 to start with
5. Putting twin smart lnb on 0 and tuning for best result.
6. Once achieved I will then skew the dish to 104 (from 90) and check 19 stays the same best result (I will also skew that opp direction). I think originally as I was skewing to 104 the screws on dish where loose and moving the whole dish at the same time.
7. Once the dish has been skewed to 104 and 19 is fixed and skewed. I will move to the next step.

I think this is what I am trying to do.

The next step, if I am not mistaken, I can add the other lnbs as indciated on the sslex numbers and tune (moving them up/down on bar and skew opp direction) them without much problems. I wont need to skew the dish from the 104 position.

Is this now correct?

The key for today is that I get 19E nailed on 0 and the dish at 104 and 19E skewed in opp direction to max signal.