My vu+ solo has arrived. Can someone please give me some pointers

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
B sky B package on squarial
My Location
Derbyshire
Please will someone give me a few starting tips to get me up and running, do I need to flash the new unit? Can I just set it up to read my existing sly card? How do I get freeview!?

Thanks.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Freeview? That's Digital Terrestrial!

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
To view freeview channels, you will need one of those USB dvb terrestrial tuners plugged in.

the receiver is satellite only out of the box.

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
My Location
Derbyshire
Sorry, I mean FTA. I've managed to change default sat to eurobird 28.2e it's now scanning 45% with 611 services. So what can I do to get my scy card working in it?

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
My Location
Derbyshire
Vu plus experimental

Experimental vu plus.

Maybe someone could just do me a quick list of things I need to do and if I have any problems doing them I'll ask for help. Thanks

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I know you're keen to get on with it, but the Forum is often quiet on Saturday afternoons, so you'll need to be patient.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
I don't have this receiver but had Linux one in the past.

the easiest image I've read is the vix image try this.

Also there will be an addons menu within the setup menus, which you can download extras for your receiver from the Internet.

for your viewing card to work you will need an software emulator cccam etc and the settings file.

Please be patient as members will help but won't always be around.

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
My Location
Derbyshire
Yes, many thanks already for the help being offered, I will be patient. A previous post mentioned "blackhole" is this worthwhile and do I need to load a specific one for this model and make.
Cheers again. Karl

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I use a VIX image on my Solo but not the very latest one. It's very stable and does what I need it to do. A Google search for 'Vix image' should get you to a download. I've tried Blackhole but it didn't appeal visually. As regards your $ky card does it have subs or is it just a FTV card? Members here have these working using software emulators such as Ccam but I'm afraid those things are not within my knowledge.

wod said:
members will help but won't always be around.

Yes Wod, at my time of life I realise my time here is limited....

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
My Location
Derbyshire
It's a subscription card but I intend one day ditching it. For now I want to get it working though.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Hav eyou got the networking set up? If so have a delve into the menus and find the addons menu. Load an emulator or two if there are any available from the download server.

I cant remember remember for the Vix image - I didnt get on with it on my Vuo so ditched it pdq.

If not go the cccam forum - you should be able to get the latest version from there.

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
My Location
Derbyshire
When you say you ditched the vix image, what did you use instead and why? Thanks for your support

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
My Location
Derbyshire
Oh, and what emulators? I presume that's something to do with my subscription card?
2 more question.
Can I use the unit as a video streaming device. To watch videos from my main computer.
Can I plug in a DVD drive and watch files and DVD Video discs?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
BlackHole. Didnt like Vix at all - I found if you change the skin it remapped all the bloody buttons :rolleyes:

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
Discoseeker said:
When you say you ditched the vix image, what did you use instead and why? Thanks for your support

there are various software images for these linux receivers and people just have preference to either vix or blackhole etc.

It doesn't mean one is better than the other.

how far are you getting on, best get a grasp of the basics first and then setup the viewing card.

have you connected a network cable and setup an ip address for the receiver, it will need to be a static one

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
My Location
Derbyshire
ive not had chance to properly play with the receiver yet, network cable problem at the moment because ive split a cat 5e cable into two and one isn't working. that will be tonights venture.
i am hoping that i'll pick the simple stuff up quickly but it does seem to be a very overcomplicated process to do anything, im guessing that is just because it's all new to me.
i read this post :
=http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?14235-Vu-Solo-ViX-2-3-(Linux-3-1-1)-Image-Release-s

just now and it says i need to flash the bootloader. "?"
can anyone give me a clue as to wtf that means?

sorry to sound so dim on this but it's all so new to me.

first things first i've got to build a load of Ikea furniture before i get pink pass to play on vu+

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Discoseeker said:
ive not had chance to properly play with the receiver yet, network cable problem at the moment because ive split a cat 5e cable into two and one isn't working. that will be tonights venture.

Ugg dont try to split a network cable - get a 5 port hub for less than a tenner

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Analoguesat said:
I found if you change the skin it remapped all the bloody buttons :rolleyes:
No it doesn't. Not with the official skins anyway.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Discoseeker said:
it says i need to flash the bootloader.
Whatever image you are going to use you needs to flash the bootloader if it hasn't got the latest version. The bootloader just allows larger images to be used.

I'd go to the VIX forum and download the latest bootloader and image. Read the stickies on that forum. Most of the stickys are in the Duo section but they apply to the solo too. There are stickys on everything from loading the bootloader and image to getting your subscription card working and software to do it.

Don't expect to get this running in 5 minutes. Even if you know these boxes inside out it will still take a couple of hours to get it configured and working in some sort of usable way.