hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
Hi,
I have a solo2 I've been using for many years; I guess I bought it around 2013. Since very shortly after I bought it I've used openvix on it, kept more or less up-to-date. I haven't found it particularly stable but it's been OK. I avoid the Openvix support forum...

I'd like to replace it with another enigma box. Could anyone please suggest a modern equivalent, not necessarily vu+? I'm a bit lost amongst all the possiblities. I have no use for dual tuners at the moment but I'd like to have them. I don't have a 4K TV; sound is handled by a Yamaha AV receiver (of similar vintage to the solo2 but does the trick).

thanks!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Budget ?

I would avoid a combo device if only because of the price.
Whilst they have advantages, I find the need to switch with one remote when I could just change the AV input on the TV to terrestrial less of a pain.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
budget... reasonable. I don't need to buy the cheapest models but I'm not going to spend 1000 on it :). I rarely watch terrestrial TV and when I do it's via internet from the fibre provider STB. I have a lot of remotes and don't get on very well with multiremotes :D.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Personally I'd look at a 4K, Enigma 2 based, receiver, with an internal hard drive, a lot seem to have a caddy system, so you can quickly change a hard drive.

I find an internal hard drive indispensible, not only for recording satellite, but also for downloading Kodi streams, and uploading videos, from my PC, especially music videos, but it all depends on your personal requirements.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
Yes, thanks - I forgot to specify with a disk bay. I have one in the solo2. The problem with the solo2 is it's rather old and slow, so things like transcoding, or indeed kodi, aren't practical.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
I don't view a Kodi stream, I download the stream, thus saving it, as a video, on the hard drive, then I can view it, when I want, and as often as I want.
This option is available, in the Kodi video addons, and easy to set up.
I have downloaded a lot of things, using kodi, the last being Kung Fu Panda 4, and even an old classic film, The Warriors, which, I noticed, had been referenced in John Wick 4, and I recalled viewing, in my youth.