Help Required Only getting English channels from turksat 42

squirrelzor

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Next HD 2000 FTA, Triax 88CM Dish
My Location
London
Hello everyone, I'd really appreciate any help or advice about this situation.

Been watching turkish channels from turksat and setup worked great for 10+ years. Couple months back had scaffolding put up outside and the builders moved the satellite and it still worked. Couple days ago they finished up and removed the scaffolding but when they went to put back our satellite none of our turkish channels worked and only picks up some english channels including sky and bt etc.
The supposed engineer they had that put the satellite back tried for about 2 hours he had a small labgear tool with a screen he used and told me it's picking up signal that the satellite has changed to 3A/4A as well ( cause I told him it should be 2A) and might be a problem with the receiver and left so I got my old technomate out and still same issue. Now I'm going back and forth with the contractors trying to get them to sort it out but they don't want to take responsibility.
I noticed the satellite is about half a metre higher on the wall than it used to be and roughly facing the same direction but I can't be sure, I've spent hours doing searches and nothing.

I don't know what to do the guy that had installed our satellite many years ago has passed away. I've done multi satellite blind searches just brings up english channels which I already have on our normal antenna. Do you think this is just an alignment thing or could they have damaged the LNB on the dish?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Alignment.

Needs to go fourteen degrees further east and probably the elevation needs to be lowered a tiny bit.

squirrelzor

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
@Lazarus Thank you for the reply. It's honestly what I've been thinking too cause if they damaged the LNB surely it wouldn't pick up any of the english channels either. I called a local satellite shop and they said it would be £70 call out charge so will see if the contractors are interested at all in paying for it but doubt it :(

I don't even understand why they decided to put the dish up higher they could have just reused it's old location, in my mind at the time I thought maybe they are trying to be helpful in some way.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
They probably assumed you were aligned to 28.2E, as most dishes are. Why not contact the contractors, explain the problem, and they might re-align it for you.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
@Lazarus Thank you for the reply. It's honestly what I've been thinking too cause if they damaged the LNB surely it wouldn't pick up any of the english channels either. I called a local satellite shop and they said it would be £70 call out charge so will see if the contractors are interested at all in paying for it but doubt it :(

I don't even understand why they decided to put the dish up higher they could have just reused it's old location, in my mind at the time I thought maybe they are trying to be helpful in some way.

Easy enough to do yourself ...........

squirrelzor

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
They probably assumed you were aligned to 28.2E, as most dishes are. Why not contact the contractors, explain the problem, and they might re-align it for you.
I don't think so the guy said he's aligning for turksat 42 E and even said he gets picture on his tool but then when he plugs in the cable for our receiver we get nothing so I don't know of he's lying or what.

squirrelzor

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Easy enough to do yourself ...........
I don't mind trying but the dish is on the 2nd to 3rd floor and I don't have a ladder that reaches it. If I could find a ladder is there a budget tool with a display you'd recommend, actually had a look for a labgear one but it's like £200 and too much for a once every 10 years kind of use but if there is a decent one for like £50 might aswell and just borrow a ladder from somewhere.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Can you please explain your satellite setup.
I thought you were receiving English channels, on your satellite receiver, now you mention that you're not receiving anything.
Have you got 1 dish, with 2 LNB's, 1 dish with 1 LNB, or other.
If you can post a few pictures, of your dish, and satellite receiver menu, showing signal quality readings, mit might help.

squirrelzor

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Can you please explain your satellite setup.
I thought you were receiving English channels, on your satellite receiver, now you mention that you're not receiving anything.
Have you got 1 dish, with 2 LNB's, 1 dish with 1 LNB, or other.
If you can post a few pictures, of your dish, and satellite receiver menu, showing signal quality readings, mit might help.
Hi it's a 1 dish, 1 LNB on a Triax 90ish CM dish non motorised. The receiver that I use is a next hd 2000 fta, I also have a technomate 5402 hd as spare.

I don't receive any turkish channels anymore but somehow now it just picks up english channels which it would never do before when I do a search on the receiver. Back in the day if I had any issues with a turkish channel changed or updated etc whatever I'd just do a factory reset on the receiver and do a blind search and it would just pick up all the turkish channels (never any english) but now when I do a reset and blind search it literally brings back all the standard terrestrial english bbc, itv etc with premium ones like sky sports etc but not a single turkish channel anymore.

So with the UI on this receiver it shows signal and quality as separate when on a channel. When our dish was being put back I was present and what kept happening was he'd shout over to me to check my TV but on all turkish channels it would have no picture with a no signal message on the middle of the screen but at the bottom of the hud I can see the signal go from like 0 to 90 but the quality would stay at 0 when he'd plug in the coax to the LNB so not getting a picture on any channels that previously worked.
So after trying this for an hour where he'd plug his labgear into the LNB he told me to just do a new search but it only picks up some english channels now.

I don't know why the signal would go up but not the quality if that makes any sense and also how is it possible to be picking up english channels. Could it be because they moved the dish up like 50cm? Did this i*** set it up for sky or something even when I told him several times it's turksat 42E? I have no idea but the contractors don't seem to give a s*** either they been making me wait since Friday and still no word.

I've attached photos, so the old channel it gets a signal 90% even but 0 quality and no audio/video on the technomate but now it picks up ITV HD like how is this even possible did all the english channels move over to turksat 42E at some point?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    616.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    710.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
@squirrelzor

Your dish is on 28.2E, it is not on 42.0E, do not be deceived by the receiver or the installer/contractor telling you it is on 42.0E.
All you need to do to confirm this point is to go to a website like Lyngsat and check the ITV parameters for the frequency of 12166V on 28.2E, they match up with your picture attached above.

Your old channel named HALK EURO is probably receiving a signal with similar frequency that is present on 28.2E, that is why it is showing the green indicator of signal present.

To get your 42.0E channels back the dish needs to be re-aligned onto that satellite.

squirrelzor

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
@moonbase Thanks very much for informing me. So according to lyngsat they've set it to 28.2°E, Astra 2F which is picking up the 12168V ITV central west hd channel I get it.

The crazy thing is I told the guy its 42E like 4 times so I don't understand how incompetent he has to be or possibly intentional cause the contractors told me it's a separate company they use for this.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
The installer, they called, mustn't have been informed, that you have it aligned to 42E, or was just a basic Sky installer, who just assumed you wanted it aligned to 28.2E.
Just call them, and explain what's happened, it's their fault, so they should put it right.
It's not that difficult, as you already know that everything is working, but you will need to do a new re-scan, once the dish is sorted.

squirrelzor

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
@Mickha I have done, contractors got back to me saying that the installer has proved to them that it's all correct using his tool and even showed them a photo of it receiving signal at 98% etc bla bla. Told them that it's set up wrong so now waiting again see if they can contact the installer to come back out. I initially had the feeling he broke the LNB and just wanted to **** us over but at least now I know it's just an alignment issue.

7mdish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 2.4m motorised offset dish, Viking Ku-band 2-ports motorised feed, 2 SMW LNBs, RC2000A, Dreambox DM920.
My Location
Milan, Italy
It is unbelievable how some people are called "installer", "engineer", "technician".... and the final user pays for that.

astra19

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
98cm motorised technomate. 50e to 34.5w
My Location
Europe
Keep us updated squirrelzor. Terrible that these cowboys are going round.
Happens everywhere. I had an installer when I lived in the Netherlands who didn't know how to align any dish that wasn't provided by the supplier.

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8M on Edision MIO 4K & GTMEDIA Combo, and CM1.2M on Octagon SF8008
My Location
Kent, UK
yeah thats VERY frustrating i cant even imagine!!!
shame its so high, you literally jusy need to move it a bit more left.
there doesnt seem to be many motorised installers anymore, glad i can get to mine easily enough to tweak.
i do have a contact number for someone if you're interested...pretty cheap.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
@Mickha I have done, contractors got back to me saying that the installer has proved to them that it's all correct using his tool and even showed them a photo of it receiving signal at 98% etc bla bla. Told them that it's set up wrong so now waiting again see if they can contact the installer to come back out. I initially had the feeling he broke the LNB and just wanted to **** us over but at least now I know it's just an alignment issue.
Have you emphasized to the contractor that he's pointed it at the wrong satellite? They need to be informed that there are many satellites up there and just showing a an image of a picture on his meter doesn't prove it's on the correct satellite, particularly as there are no english channels on turksat. Just looking at the dish tells you that it isn't on Turksat, elevation is too high. The little Labgear chinese meter is not really a professional tool, any meter with NIT function (which identifies the satellite being received) would have told him he was wrongly aiming the dish.

I presume that they will have had added anything they were charged by the installer to your bill and they are liable, so if they are unprepared to action this, tell them you are going to get a proper installer in and invoice them for his charge.

squirrelzor

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Thanks everyone, so the contractors got the same guy to come out this morning I've passed on everything you all said regarding the elevation and alignment and will see if he managed to sort it out when I get back in.

His labgear tool I think is the s701I got him to show me was there for a few minutes and he said it has every channel from all the different satellites stored in memory and works by scanning for each channel, but I thought that was wrong surely it scans through frequencies from the satellite then retrieves the channel list?

Last edited:

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Thanks everyone, so the contractors got the same guy to come out this morning I've passed on everything you all said regarding the elevation and alignment and will see if he managed to sort it out when I get back in.

His labgear tool I think is the s701I got him to show me was there for a few minutes and he said it has every channel from all the different satellites stored in memory and works by scanning for each channel, but I thought that was wrong surely it scans through frequencies from the satellite then retrieves the channel list?
The labgear s701 is a relatively cheap far Eastern made meter, but it has a spectrum analyser built in so along with the satellite channel plans in the memory, he should be able to find it, but not where it's pointed at the moment. fingers crossed for you.

squirrelzor

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Just an update so I did a blind scan and not finding anything.. not a single channel in the blind scan that takes about an hour going through every frequency with 4mhz intervals on the technomate. Got a message from the contractors saying "all is fine with the signal and installation of the satellite and has advised for you to contact your provider."

Will be taking it up with there project manager and then passing it onto the ombudsman. I get the feeling they know how to cover there backs though so might go nowhere.

Can't comprehend how this installer is unable to set this up something that's worked for 14 years he can't set up. I don't know if it's an issue with his incompetence, tool issue or what but it's extremely aggrevating at this point.

I want to hear what the project manager and ombudsman says and then see what best to do. If anything I'll just call someone out or buy a finder and do it myself.