Panasonic Digibox Freezing

Garf

Reaction score
I have a problem with a Panasonic TU-SB20 which keeps freezing. Sometimes it won't even reset for hours. I have read on other forums that the latest software is incompatible with some older models. I have spoken to Sky about this who claim this type of problem is quite rare and that the new software would not effect viewing. They did however offer to send an engineer who, for a one off charge of £65, would fix the problem, guaranteed. Further investigations have suggested that these engineers turn up with refubished boxes, which have been upgraded to handle the new software. I also informed Sky I knew a number of people who had experienced exaclty the same problems, so if it was so rare, how come it had happened to so many people in such a comparitively small area. This was passed off as purely coincidental.

Is there anyone out there who has encountered these problems, or any engineers who know what is going on. If it is found to be a problem with software, why should we the customers, paying monthly subscriptions have to fork out for second hand equipment to continue watching Sky tv.

TROTT

Reaction score
HELLO I WORK FOR SKY AS A ENGINEER AND THAT PROB WILL BE ONE OF MANY. WHAT TYPE OFF LNB ARE YOU USING WITH STB OLD LNBS ARE FINE SOME NEW ONES LIKE THOMSON WILL NOT ALLWAYS WORK . IT COULD BE DAMAGE CABLE EG WATER/CRIMPED OR JUST OLD . YOU DISH MIGHT BE OUT OF ALIMENT. OR THE (IF) tuner COULD BE ON ITS WAY OUT . I WOULD SUGGEST YOU TRY A MATES BOX ON YOUR SYSTEM IF THAT WORKS FINE NIP DOWN TESCO A BYE A BRAND NEW STB FOR UNDER £100 .....

Garf

Reaction score
Trott

I have put a different STB on my dish, works fine. Put my STB on other dish, same probs. It has also reset to factory settings, uhf at channel 68 and very weak output.
My argument is, if this has been caused by new software being incompatible with older boxes, then shouldn't Sky be picking up the bill. Sky says there isn't a problem with the software. I say there probably is as there appears to be such a large number of STB's going down all at once since the last software release. With all of them showing the same symtoms, I think there is too much of a coincidence here. I know 7 people who this has happened to, plus you only have to browse the web message boards to see how common the problem is. The Sky version is that this is a very rare problem. They even advised me to "rub the static off the end of the coax with my fingers" ??? to see if that fixed the problem. I feel I am being patronised and treated like a complete dolls head by these people.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Well it seems that everyone who bought the best Digibox - is now the proud owner of a pile of non-operating crap. I have succumbed to this bad language as a result of suffering the same freezing problem. I know when it started, I don't know how to solve it.

Frankly, 'useful' info on this is rare. Its everything from overheating, to software, to power supplies. Then the other camp are suggesting re-boots, rubbing coax tails and the obvious: buy a SKY+ STB that has a fan!!!!

This is not convenient - and my TU-DSB30 is not old. Boogers! And although Panasonic still produce STB's for Europe (about five models) - they don't make them for SKY anymore - ass's !!!

However, I have a question for anyone with a 'fully functional' DSB30, who has a volt meter and knows what to poke at without blowing the house or bench up. I reckon I am pissing-in-the-wind and facing the wrong way - but, hey, grab at the short straws :-)

Q1: The power connector cable (from PSU to mainboard) from white cable to last blue cable readings are as follows in [readings in standby]:-

1. 2.5 [2.5] xx white cable xx
2. 3.2 [3.2]
3. 3.2 [3.2]
4. 5.1 [5.1]
5. 5.1 [5.1]
6. 0.0 [0.0]
7. 11.7 [11.7]
8. 0.0 [3.2]
9. 3.2 [0.0]
10. 0.0 [0.0]
11. 13.5 [0.0]
12. 30.9 [30.9]
13. 17.1 [17.1] xx last blue cable xx

So, should I be seeing different voltages on some pins when the STB is in Standby?

Q2. Should I be experiencing splurious voltage readings when poking at the tops of various electrolyte capaictors? Don't ask why I should have found this anomily - call it short straws ;-)

Any help on either of these two would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. Let's hope that it is a software fault, SKY know about it and fix it during the next update!

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
What's the news from Panasonic 30 sufferers out there!

Have packed-in boxes been replaced by new ones? Has there been any word from SKY - updates, etc?

Is there another thread I can't find on the subject?

All I can tell you folks is that my 30 is lying unplugged behind the TV (I couldn't bring myself to throw it out of the window).

Have Fun,

Mark.

P.S. Every now and again I'll attempt to do a forced download - but it always hangs halfway through the process ****.

supapete

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
PC running ME XP SUSE.Mac G4 running OS X. Multi media studio. 80cmdish. Standard sky dish with quad lnb. 2xgrundig, panasonic dsb 31&50 televes 7245 dragon cam. card loader & card.Moteck 2100A motor
My Location
anglesey
I've used a dsb20 and dsb30. I thought I'd had a terrific deal from ebay ! £4 for one and £8 for the other. They're both now installed quite happily in my wheely bin.Now I know why I had such a good deal ! I've a quad lnb with a grundig and dsb31 on outputs 1 and 2 still running happily. I've just put another grundig on output 4. So far so good. I'm no expert, but this should be taken as a little hint as to where anything before the dsb31 belongs.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Dumb question.

So, the two boxes worked and then locked-up - or they just didn't work?

Confused.

Mark.

supapete

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
PC running ME XP SUSE.Mac G4 running OS X. Multi media studio. 80cmdish. Standard sky dish with quad lnb. 2xgrundig, panasonic dsb 31&50 televes 7245 dragon cam. card loader & card.Moteck 2100A motor
My Location
anglesey
Not dumb. The problem here is I've posted what's happened to my stuff ad hoc as a thread prompts. My panasonic cv is splattered all over this forum. If you do a search for my posts all is revealed. In short, These things worked fine at first then followed the pattern that everyone else has mentioned. One might well be able to prevent locking but once it's happened it's goodbye, I fear. I've brought them both back temporarily but they were both destined, finally, for the wheely bin. I now have two grundigs and a panasonic dsb31 all playing chirpily on aquad lnb. regs. P.S

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
RIP

Its funny that for all the accolades the Panasonic 30 was given - the downright wanton lustfulness exuded by its owner - OK i'll stop .........

......... I haven't found a single satisfactory solution to fix that problem. Like nobody cared in the end: save for the odd savvy tech who knew just what to do but had no desire to share the info.

Thankfully, my replacement Panny 30 'museum piece' works just, well, like a STB, LOL.

Have Fun,

Mark.

supapete

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
anglesey
Well, call me naive but I'd have thought that "sky" being the broadcasting body that these boxes are supposed to talk to would have some kind of design datum that everyone worked to. Instead, it seems that a hundred quids plus worth of kit depends on where you are, what operating system is blasted at it or if there's a low flying cloud over the med as to whether or not it flies. O.K I'm naive.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
We all naive.Panasonic must have made a fortune with the 30's which were the best at the time,then they brought out the 31(don't know why.i mean when its not broke why fix it?) which had problems with certain channels, then 35 then 40 but by then people stopped buying pannies and went for Pace.The problem with the 30 started about 18 months ago with that software upgrade, also they started developing similar faults with the common overheating problem.Now panasonic have stopped making digiboxes or supplying spares or manuals etc.so they dont care that about getting a bad name.Sony gave up after just 2 models,Grundig after about 4,Amstrad/Thomson hit and miss and Pace got better with every newer model up to the 2600 then they f*cked up with the next model.Dont they realise that the better the fringe reception,the more they sell?Pace dont care about the legality of where the boxes go.
Dont these makers get feedbacks people like us on the internet?Sky must visit these forums and read the sat magazines.They must know whats going on because of which channels have improved and which have weakened over the years(work out the strongest and how much income sky get from them).

supapete

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
anglesey
Call me cynical. I wonder how much dough is being made out of call outs and fixes for these boxes of scribble. Boxes that won't really ever work. The land of computers is renowned for obsolescance over night but, by and large these days, you know whether a piece of kit is likely to be compatable before you buy. It says so on the box. If a piece of kit or software ceases to be supported because of "progress" in operating systems or hardware, it's painful but Gates or Job announce it laughingly. Someone a lot cleverer than me knows that these scrib boxes are obsolete. Why don't they join Gates and Job and say "o.k world, thanks for your dough but you've got to buy all over again". But, of course, that wouldn't happen in a world of fair commerce, would it ? O.K, I'm cynical. regards to all. P.S

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
I also had a pansonic 30 box which kept freezing, usually for a few minutes but sometimes for over a day. Tried everything to get it work then for no reason it would start again for a few weeks before freezing again.
Finally got myself an Amstrad 500 for 20 quid off ebay and it works great.

My advice is to get another box and use the old panasonic as a back up.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Thats the answer,everybody just keep buying 2nd hand from ebay etc and these makers will soon come to their senses or go bust.
Then again ,if they did make perfect boxes that lasted for years and years...............

puffin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 150 with an Inverto Black Ultra and a Pace 2600C1
My Location
Borlänge 200km WNW of Stockholm
I also have a Panasonic 30 here in Sweden.
As long as you are careful and not tune to a 2D vertical channel it still works as a dream - good reception of 2D h and never freezes. If you don't think and put it on channel 101 (BBC Yorkshire) then freeze.
It's a bit anoying but just unplug and then ready to go in a minute.

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
puffin said:
I it still works as a dream .... If you don't think and put it on channel 101.. then freeze.
Shouldn't that read 'bad dream'?
A set top box that freezes all the time on some channels ought to go out in the bin.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
zorba said:
... Now panasonic have stopped making digiboxes or supplying spares or manuals etc.

Umm, thought I had heard about that. But, then again, if you make crap - no buggers gonna buy it. Britain's general automotive industry sank because it produced crap.:-Guill

As for SONY? Next.

On a brighter note: I absolutely agree that Pace is the (only) STB company worth its SKY salt. Build quality and product design is, IMHO, finally up there with the rest/best :-)

Go on Pace [cheerleader icon]

Have Fun,

Mark.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
mljgmljg said:
As for SONY? Next.

Actually Sony also stopped after only 2 models a couple of years ago.

puffin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 150 with an Inverto Black Ultra and a Pace 2600C1
My Location
Borlänge 200km WNW of Stockholm
snap said:
Shouldn't that read 'bad dream'?
A set top box that freezes all the time on some channels ought to go out in the bin.

After getting a bigger dish (Gibertini 1,5m) no problems with freezing anymore.
The problem with the Panasonic is a softwareproblem that only makes itself known with a too low signalstrength.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
puffin said:
After getting a bigger dish (Gibertini 1,5m) no problems with freezing anymore.
The problem with the Panasonic is a softwareproblem that only makes itself known with a too low signalstrength.

Interesting news Puffin.

I would like to believe you, but, I had a Panny that conk'd out on me - then had a friend send over his (old) one as a replacement. I have not had a problem since.

That said, this replacement unit had been sitting in a cupboard on or about the time there was that suspect firmware update (well, thats what I believe).

Sadly, I can't get my original box to stay on long enough to check whether there is any truth in it.

Have Fun,

Mark.