Panasonic Digibox Freezing

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
check the software version

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
zorba said:
check the software version

Doh!

Sadly, I can't get my original box to stay on long enough to check [the software version]

Its Ok zorba, my mistake. Can't string english words together anymore, LOL.

Have Fun,

Mark.

max.max

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 fixed dish 90cm invacom0.3 dual 13°E -
1 fixed dish 130cm cambridge lnb 0.6 28°E -
1 panasonic 30 and 1 amstrad sky digiboxes - 1 echostar 808ci viaccess - dragon, joker, CAS 3 I/F
My Location
rome, italy
hi m8s, long time i did't have the chance to take a look at the forum.
Anyway, still problems with the panny 30. My panny has been driving me crazy in the past couple of years or more. I'll post the details of its latest misterious behaviour tomorrow but in the meantime I can agree with the fact the every problem is created by the weak signal. I just brought it back to UK for xmas and I can state that in good old england it works perfectly, no freezing, all channels OK. Back to rome and it goes bananas again.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Boxes work in the UK, bigger dishes work, filters work, boxes with newer firmware work: very Area 51 (correct?).

There is nothing worse than having to replace something - especially when you know that the thing your replacing isn't actually dead (sic).

I still have to pull my dud out the cellar to try my twice yearly firmware d/load.

I'll report back when I have given it a go.

Have Fun,

Mark.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Well, it looks as if nobody is going to fix this "known" software bug!

Personally, I always go for Pace, who still support even their oldest boxes with software updates.

john22

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Samsung Motorised COMAG sl55. Panosonic TUDSB 30 Sky box.
My Location
Ireland
Have to disagree [Boxes work in U.K.] Mine is driving me crazy here.{Ireland]
John22

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
john22 said:
Have to disagree [Boxes work in U.K.] Mine is driving me crazy here.{Ireland]
John22

The received transmissions are the same in UK and Ireland, so there should be no difference in software downloads!

(what, exactly, is driving you mad?).

john22

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Hi spiney,
Same problem when I try to change channels the box freezes up and get message :no satellite signal: 3 days ago I deceided to try puffins [19-10-05] suggestion and looked for any vertical channel in my favs list. The only suspect one I found was CNN V 12.051 deleted it and so far problem solved, no freeze up since.As many posts suggest it looks like it is something to do with the message sent to the lnb.
john22.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
I haven't looked at "footprint", but field strength should be similar to in England? Actual level into receiver of course depends on dish/lnb/cable.

Seems to be a general problem with Pannys when changing "polarity", related to software "believing" there's no signal, even if there really is!

Can only suggest either:

1) As you said, for a realy troublesome channel, first check you really are receiving it (!) by entering transponder details into manual tune, installer menu. If you are, try adding to "other channles", this might bypass the problem (hopefully).

2) Or just try "scrolling past" the channels, going up/down past it using the remote step up/down button, and the software might eventually "yield".

I'm not sure what else to (reasonably) suggest.

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
spiney said:
Seems to be a general problem with Pannys when changing "polarity", related to software "believing" there's no signal, even if there really is!
I think it is just a software problem. If the signal is well below the threshold to lock on to, the Panasonic 30 will display the 'no satellite signal being received' message and will not lock up.
If the signal is a bit stronger but is not enough to give even a pixellated picture the box will freeze when user tries to change channel. At this signal level the box ought to say 'there is a technical problem with this channel' but freezes instead.
Since upgrading to a 1.8m dish here in Madrid my Panny has performed perfectly well and won't be going in the bin just yet...

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
The software problem on the 30 is that when you go to a weak or no signal channel,then the box will get stuck and not function until you power off then on.This also happens when you go through the tv guide a lot.But if your box is showing no signal on some channels then the problem is probably not the box,but the dish/lnb/cable.The panasonic 30 tuner is one of the best and very reliable,in my experience anyway.

puffin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 150 with an Inverto Black Ultra and a Pace 2600C1
My Location
Borlänge 200km WNW of Stockholm
I knew that I shouldn't have been praising my Panasonic so much.

A problem that has occurred in the last days is with the EPG.
Pressing the blue programme guide gives the normal choices.
A-Z listings work OK. All programmes and entertainment works sometimes.
Other choices (kids, news) don't work. I get the sign "Searching for listing -
please wait" - and nothing happens. I can go back to a different menu
without freezing.

Rebooting helps sometimes to get at least "All Programmes" but not other choices.

A forced download made no difference.

Have anybody else had the same experience?

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Sorry to hear that Puffin.

Click Here Top of thread Here

In short, getting the STB to initialise the card seems to do the trick: how to get there with 100% results, dunno?

A card reset from SKY, switch card to another Digibox and back - give the second one a go first - if you have a second box handy.

My current Operating System Version: 1.2S4FB
EPG Software Version: 3.3b.5

Mark.

puffin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hi Mark

I tried your solution yesterday.

No luck I'm afraid.

It feels a shame to throw away my good old Panny
but I'm stating to get a bit tired of the software problems
there have been.

Maybe get a Pace 2600 on e-bay?

numptynuts

Reaction score
I have had about 15 calls in the last week where Panny30s will freeze, not switch on and all sorts..

Is thís the end for the Wonderful 30?

Lets hope not!

john22

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Hi All
Yes all sorts of problems back again all of a sudden {just when I thought I had it sorted ] Wonder is it anything to do with the new E.P.G. that I read is being downloaded .Anything new and P30. seems to go crazy.
john22.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Would ALL Panny Users, including you guys who have heard from customers, phone SKY and tell them about this problem.

puffin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
What I did was:

Unplugging the Panny

Put card in upside down.

Plug in and power up.

After loading the EPG and then getting the message that there is a problem with your card - put in the card the correct way.

No luck I'm afraid.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Puffin,

I managed to get the ALL CHANNELS EPG to work again. I don't know if its permanent, but give this a go (to the letter). Some steps I am sure are redundant - but, given the idea is to get your Panny to work - just do what I did :D

STB must be connected to TV by SCART

1. Remove subscriber card
2. Remove Power Cord from STB
3. Press and keep pressed the BACKUP button on front panel
4. Re-apply power (keeping BACKUP button pressed) All the LEDS on the front panel should illuminate within above five seconds.
5. [SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD MESSAGE]
6. Take finger off BACKUP button.
7. [Wait for download to complete]
8. [STB will switch to STANDBY]
9. Turn on STB. [Searching for Listings Message] Wait until done
10. Enter Engineers Menu. [SERVICVES-SYSTEM SETUP-0-1-SELECT]
11. Commence NEW INSTALLATION. Do not insert card yet. Follow rest of steps [channel scan - insert card]
12. When new installation is complete, don't press BACKUP as instructed, just hit the SKY button to return to a viewable channel.
13. At this point you'll probably get the Searching for Listings message
14. [When completed]
15. For the hell of it, play around with the channels make sure they work, use the banner, select a reminder - everything should work.
16. Press TV GUIDE button
17. Select ALL CHANNELS

It should have come back. Good Luck.

Mark.

puffin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
A little bit of good news:

I tried to restart the Panny a couple of times.
I managed to get the EPG on "all channels" working again.
The other functions such as news and kids are still down though.

I which that Sky would get their act together and release a better software.