please help

bratwurzt

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have just paid £60 to have an 80cm dish put up with a monoblock LNB for Hotbird 13deg + Astra 19deg. When the guy left he said Hotbird had an excellent signal. However when I switched the receiver on, the channels said 'no signal'. He said he was unfamiliar with the receiver , and had done what he came to do by putting the dish up with a good signal output...... Now I have a system that can't seem to find a signal. I was wondering if the details on the back of the Lnb are supposed to be input for it to work. Unfortunately, they are up in the air...

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
Have you anyother receiver...even a digibox.

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
Put the 13E lead into the back of the digibox, go to Services , 4 and add channels.

Put in 12092 H 27500 3/4 and do a serach if some channels are found. the dish is working. Let us know.

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
On 19E do the same, only with ..12226 H, 27500, 3/4. you should find a channel called TV6 .. games at day free mature content after 11:30.

bratwurzt

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
The Digibox just says 'No Signal being received'. I must add, there is only one cable running from the Monoblock, it has a DiSEqC switching device in it.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Go into the LNb setup menu, then select DiseqC, then choose Hotbird as LNB 1 or A, whichever it is. What is your receiver?

PS. He hasn't really done his job properly, he should know enough to at least show you one satellite on your receiver.

bratwurzt

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
He turned up at 16.30 after I had waited in all day, I got the impression he was in a hurry to get home. I have a Triax65s, I have set it on DiSeqC with Hotbird on A & Astra on B. As Razor suggested, I plugged it into my Digibox and that couldn't find a signal either. Is it possible that the Monoblock is knackered? also can you test the signal by dish alone without even trying the end near the receiver as he did?

bratwurzt

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Just as a final piece of advice before I get on the phone, would you say that for £60 the 'installer' should have at least attempted to locate the requested satellites with the receiver? It's just bolting a dish onto the old Sky bracket in half an hour seems a little steep.
many thanks

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
OK, you may also want to try the DiseqC tags the other way round, I believe that there may be a couple of Monoblocs which use Astra as the default.

As I said before, a good installer will always demonstrate to the customer that his installation works on the receiver,even if it is only on one transponder per satellite.

If he has a decent meter he doesn't need to go to the receiver, he can do the whole job externally, but he should at the very least, check the results with his meter at the receiver end of the cable.

bratwurzt

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
He's coming back tomorrow morning. I tried all combinations Rolf but could not get a signal. Thanks for your help mate.

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
Hi Bratwurzt.

The digibox should have picked some channels at the settings I gave you. It may be a fault with the mono LNB, hope this guy will fix things for you when he comes.

If he is smaller than you, you can beat him up, if he is bigger, get the wife to help. She can hold him down while you put the boot in.

bratwurzt

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Well he came this morning. He tested the Monoblock and found an excellent signal for Hotbird on the unit and also on the other end of the cable near the receiver..... couldn't find Astra 19 though!! I am tearing my hair out now -I have a huge dish on the side of my house - I have lost my previous system(if you know what I mean) and am £200 poorer with no reception. I am starting to fear this Satellite business, you lot make it sound so easy, what on earth do I do now?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
What make of monobloc is it Bratwurzt?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
How has this 'installer' proven the excellent Hotbird signal? and on what 'unit'?

If he cannot get Astra 19 E why have you paid him for a complete job ?

It does sound like he is unfamiliar with satellite other than BSkyB minidishes, certainly no experience with dual feed systems.

Did you pay cash ? Did you get a receipt ?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I have to say I agree with you here CH, as I said earlier, the least he should do is demonstrate a working transponder on each satellite. I have this suspicion that if you cover up the western most LNB, the hotbird signal will disappear.

bratwurzt

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I must admit I wasn't really confident when he looked at my receiver and said 'whats that?' I basically rang the first Arial installer in the yellow pages and he said he could install an 80cm dish with a Monoblock to point at Hotbird & Astra. The guy who turned up clearly had no experience with anything other than bolting a dish on a wall and pointing it in a general direction. I am expecting a new receiver in the next day or two so I can possibly rule that out. Intrested in what you mean about covering up the western most LNB Rolf?

I have no idea of the make of Monoblock, it was thrown in with a receiver on Ebay

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
If you get a wet towel and cover up the western most LNB, it should only block the 19.2E signal, if it blocks the 13E signal, then the monobloc has a default on 19E and he has set it up on the wrong satellite.

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
What make of receiver did you buy?