please help

bratwurzt

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
A triax.....it was cheap. I have an Echostar coming tomorrow so I'll try it with that.
Rolf, unfortunately I would have to borrow one of your piggies to get up there with my towel. If the echostar has problems detecting a signal, I will get someone in who demonstrates an understanding beforehand (oh and a new Monoblock perhaps)

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Apologies if you have mentioned this bratwurzt but what area do you live in?

bratwurzt

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I live in Grimsby (Lincolnshire) afraid satellite enthusiasts are hard to find round here.
Thanks for all the imput from everyone, I would be totally lost without it.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Bratwurzt, how about a long stick with a tin can on the end, that would block the signal, I'd send the pigs up, but they are a bit busy at the moment and the head pig is still recovering from a partial amputation, you can't eat a good pig all at once. :)

bratwurzt

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Well, my Echostar came this morning and....the installer was right, there is an excellent reception on Hotbird - Fantastic, however I think the Monoblock is Knackered as there is zilch on Astra. I'm sure I can sort that without bending your ears. Thanks for all your suggestions.
- now Matrix reloaded hmmmmm

ps. if you hear a loud crash, it's just my Triax hitting the wall O-Ha

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Still think that it is worth trying the baked bean can on a long stick test to see if the default is designed for Astra.

bratwurzt

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I think you may be right because I had to set the receiver up with Hotbird as the secondary for it to work.

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
It’s a great hobby, it wrecks marriages, ruins bank balances, makes your hair go grey. And when you finally get your system running and have 4000 channels coming into your sitting room, you spend all your time on this board. As the next thing is how to do files what card, what cam, what file to open XXL or FreeX.

And then you find, that
Ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run
You’ve missed the starting gun

Well that’s me finished for today.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
bratwurzt said:
I think you may be right because I had to set the receiver up with Hotbird as the secondary for it to work.

OK, but rather than declare that the monobloc isn't working, you must somehow obscure the Westerly LNB and see if the signal goes, if it does, then he has somehow managed to align the wrong side.

@ Razor, I know what you mean, i started losing my hair, then what I had left started turning grey, talk about adding insult to injury. :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Razor said:
And then you find, that
Ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run
You’ve missed the starting gun

Did I really fit it ten years ago, it feels like only a month or so

How time flies

bratwurzt

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Well Rolf, I decided to test your theory, switched to a Hotbird channel, stuck a video cassette on record and went upstairs. I must have looked pretty stupid hanging out of the bedroom window with a broom and wet cloth dangling from it. I placed the broom head over the right Lnb(looking away from the dish) for 10 seconds. When I played back the video, surprise surprise there was a 10 second period without a signal on the recording. Rather than get the same bloke out again, I'm either going to buy a ladder or pay for another to come who knows how to align a dish correctly. Boy do I appreciate the knowledge' dished' out on these forums.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
If you can borrow a ladder you can do it quite easily yourself, might be worth a try. :)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
There is a tiny chance that if the installer has not set up the LNB correctly, that pushing the left (looking at the back of the dish) side with the broom handle, will move the dish far enough on the pole to start getting signals with the LNB that is not pointing anywhere useful.

Its worth a go if nothing else, dont continue if you think the dish is distorting though

bratwurzt

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Well, I haven’t got a ladder so I rang a Satellite installation company who quoted me £86.00 to get up a ladder and move a dish about 6 inches to the right…hmmm. This forced me to ring the original ‘installers’ and explain what the problem was. I found myself in a heated discussion with the top bloke, who insisted that in order to get the left Lnb (looking from behind the dish) into the same position as the right Lnb, the dish would need moving LEFT. He eventually saw sense and is sending the bloke out to me again tomorrow. I expected that upon being told that a company could align a dish to Hotbid & Astra, it would be done no problem. As it stands, after paying £60, I find myself preparing instructions on what to do from what I have learned in this forum. I am dreading tomorrow and can see myself losing my temper at some point.

I am wondering though, by changing the angle of the dish, am I still going to pick up Hotbird?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, you should do, if he sets up the westerly most lnb to receive Astra 19.2, then the other should automatically receive hotbird.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Ask for a written receipt, before he starts (works every time) , and no cuppa before you see Hotbird and Astra

Live and learn

bratwurzt

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My ears are still bleeding from the verbal battle I had with the installer, at one point he suggested that I got up the ladder. Anyway, very reluctantly he pointed it where I told him and cleared off. Surprise, surprise, I now have both satellites. Not much left on Astra now, also can't seem to read beyond 12.000 on either satellite but I'm sure thats an equipment issue - still it's the principal of the thing, I'm relatively content now thanks for all your help chaps.

Spice Platinum card came at same time...Oh my God!! :p

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, well at least you got things done. :)

You may need to check your LNB Local Oscillator settings, they should be set to Universal 9.750 low band and 10.600 high band, this should then enable you to reach the top frequencies.

Also checque that the 22Khz band switching is set to auto, i think that is the setting for the Echostar, but perhaps someone who has one will confirm.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I trust you got a receipt this time from the nice man with the ladders