Problem with file sharing and Samba

normsky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
UK
Hi all,

This is really doing my head in. First off I have searched everywhere for a solution but getting nowhere - the forum, the idiots guide and google.

I am running XP Pro SP2 on the same network as my DM800. I have no firewalls in place and I have no problems whatsoever with passwords etc in relation to telnet, ftp etc. when trying to connect to the DM800. I am also streaming to my PC. So I'd like to think I kind of know what I'm doing.

Yesterday I decided to install Samba via the online install from the Gemini2 blue panel. All went well. I then followed the advice in this thread: -
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/dreambox-general/154355-using-dreambox-nas.html

In fact the smb.conf on my dreambox was already exactly the same i.e. the default install. (which does make me wonder if the one in the thread has actually been tested).

The problem I am having is that when I try to map a drive to the share //dreambox/hdd I fail authentication every time. Just doesn't want to accept my correct root password. I have tried various things proposed by people on the net but come up with nothing. It's like the two machines are using a different protocol. The samba log has nothing in it to suggest an obvious problem.

My smb.conf is currently: -

[global]
load printers = no
log file = /tmp/smb.log
security = user
server string = DreamBOX network services
workgroup = WORKGROUP
netbios name = dreambox
client code page=850
character set=iso8859-1
case sensitive=yes
preserve case=yes
short preserve case=yes
encrypt passwords =yes
smb ports = 445

[Configuration]
comment = Configuration files - take care!
path = /var
read only = no
public = yes
guest ok = yes

[Harddisk]
comment = The harddisk
path = /hdd
read only = no
public = yes
guest ok = yes
browseable = yes

The result is the same whether or not I use IP or netbios name for connecting.

If anybody has come across the same problem then please spill the beans. :confused Cos I is well confused. If the dreambox has the equivalent of "Use simple file sharing" and there is a button that says off then I wish I could press the bugger cos the symptoms appear to be just the same as when XP will only accept connections via guest only. ;)

Thanks alll.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
normsky said:
In fact the smb.conf on my dreambox was already exactly the same i.e. the default install. (which does make me wonder if the one in the thread has actually been tested).
Yes its been tested, I use it all the time. And, no it was not already exactly the same. There are some important differences between your config file and what I posted in the other thread.

Spot the differences in the global settings.....
The config file I use.
Code:
[global]
load printers = no
[B]guest account = root[/B]
log file = /tmp/smb.log
[B]security = share[/B]
workgroup = Dream
netbios name = DreamBOX
client code page=850
character set=iso8859-1
case sensitive=yes
preserve case=yes
short preserve case=yes
Your config.....
Code:
[global]
load printers = no
log file = /tmp/smb.log
security = user 
workgroup = WORKGROUP 
netbios name = dreambox 
client code page=850
character set=iso8859-1
case sensitive=yes
preserve case=yes
short preserve case=yes
[COLOR=Blue]encrypt passwords =yes
smb ports = 445[/COLOR]

There are differences in the share settings too, but they are not so important here.

The easiest thing to do is to overwrite everything in your config file with my settings. If it still doesnt work then the problem lies elsewhere. I.e. not with the config file.:)

PS: The above settings are for no authentication. If you are prompted for authentication there is still a problem.

The quickest way to access the shares is by going Start-> Run and entering '\\dreambox'.

normsky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
UK
Actually if you had read my post correctly I said my 'current settings'. The default install settings were the same as yours and they did not work. Which is why have moved on since that. Your config file (the default) nor my config file work therefore there is still an unresolved problem.

Thanks for assuming I'm either blind, an idiot or both though.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
normsky said:
Actually if you had read my post correctly I said my 'current settings'. The default install settings were the same as yours and they did not work. Which is why have moved on since that. Your config file (the default) ...
No need to get all tetchy about it, I was only trying to help.

You were the one who questioned whether or not the original post had even been tested, and you've just implied the same thing again.

When I first installed samba on a dreambox, I had to modify the config file. I've been using the same one through all the images I've used since. Maybe it looks like the default file because that's what works?

normsky said:
Thanks for assuming I'm either blind, an idiot or both though.
I didnt assume anything. I was merely pointing out what could be wrong. How could I or anyone else reading your post know exactly what you did or did not do.