Setting up a Motor what angle elevation to set to?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
As a general rule of thumb, when you find a satellite but it isn't Thor, lift the dish a little higher in elevation, as everything else is lower in the Sky from your location.

Which transponder are you using to search with?

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
I think someone has stolen thor!!!
I give up!!! I cant Bl**dy find it even with a meter.
I have a man that can coming on tuesday to line the arc and set the software £80 worth every penny its not like me to be beat by something like this but its so much harder than sky to set up fly boy let me know if you master it.
Thanx for your help rolfw & happy buddah but I know when im beat.

flying drone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5000 dapci
Triax 1.1 dish
Jaeger 99 H to H motor
Hi Rolf
Transponder? I think it was intelsat as it had all been set up and working before i got the system i thought all i had to do was find thor tune inthe bbc and away i would go some hope!!!!!!!!! every thing is disconnected now as i had it all in the garden so backto square one but we will try again tomorrow
flying drone

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Try and select the default transponder as the one with BBC World on it, then at least you can guarantee you have something to monitor.

flying drone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5000 dapci
Triax 1.1 dish
Jaeger 99 H to H motor
Will try that tomorrow thanks for the info it is much appreciated i will let you know how i get on maybe mrminibus is right
I think someone has stolen thor!!!
I give up!!! I cant Bl**dy find it even with a meter
flying drone

whackey

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
crap
mrminibus said:
I am in the same situation as you davie, I have been on heavens-above and my location I think is 53.5900N, 2.2950W Bury Manchsester so How do I find out what angle elevation to set to?? very confusing

hi mate programe to help you _http://www.starbuy24.co.uk/ then click the enter link then put in your postcode then this code HESB24
just set my system up with this everything you need moter angle must be set at your latitude

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Easier to download the Swedish Microwave calculator, you can set it to any satellite and any location to find your azimuth, elevation and skew. _http://www.smw.se/smwlink/smwlink3.zip

flying drone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5000 dapci
Triax 1.1 dish
Jaeger 99 H to H motor
Which transponder are you using to search with?

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
tried again today without much sucess
the transponder which i was using was 10995/10000/v if i got that right picture strength was 69% quality only 10%
flying drone
I paid a guy 80 quid it was done in about 2 hours, he used a very complicated meter so listen mate if i were u i would bite the bullett and pay someone, how can you do it without the right tools? I wasted about 10 hours messing with it. oh yeh and someone must of put thor back... :)

flying drone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5000 dapci
Triax 1.1 dish
Jaeger 99 H to H motor
@ mrminibus
Hi m8 glad to hear you got yours sorted and they have returned thor i had abit of a fiddle with the dish today but not quite there yet might have to bite the bullet but i don`t like to give in will keep you posted
flying drone

flying drone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5000 dapci
Triax 1.1 dish
Jaeger 99 H to H motor
getting a bit nearer i actually found sirius on 5*E so if my calculations i need to move 6*west for thor on 1*w please correct me if i am wrong and fingers crossed for tomorrow:) :-idiot :-Jumbo

flying drone

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes that's right, plus a rizla higher higher on the elevation. :)

flying drone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5000 dapci
Triax 1.1 dish
Jaeger 99 H to H motor
it stopped raining today the first time since friday had another go at finding thor on1*w and actually got it but only the gospel channel about 80% signal and 96% quality did a channel scan and it found about180 but they are mostly scrambled i think could not get a signal for the bbc world another query do i need to put my long & lat into the usals in the motor settings menu if so how do i enable the motor settings as they are set to disable and the instruction manual is not very informative to say the least thanks for all the info so far
flying drone

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You may need to add the transponder for BBC World. Yes, enter the coordinates into the USALS, can't remember where the motor choice is on the Technomate.

H

Happy-Buddah

Scroll down to motor then left or right click then OK
If useing USALS you must put in your lat & long otherwise the motor will not know where to go to for each satellite, for degrees west a right click will change the set up from east to west.
Right or left click is vol up/down buttons.

H-B

flying drone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5000 dapci
Triax 1.1 dish
Jaeger 99 H to H motor
tried scrolling down but it just jumps over the motor settings it just goes from
skew to move postioner missing the motor settings one out
f-d

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
What are the choices on that menu page?

flying drone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5000 dapci
Triax 1.1 dish
Jaeger 99 H to H motor
starting from the top of the page

satellite
transponder
skew
motor settings disable (dulled out)
move postioner
search type
network search
link search
delete pos delete all pos global shift
postion data
strength 98
quality 82

H

Happy-Buddah

Sorry your 5000dapsi must be different to my 5000DA

I'm going to give up posting, just reading in future :)
H-B

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
It must be on a previous menu page.