Should i get a genuine or a clone?

chavo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu uno, VU Duo2, sky dish, 2 zone 2 dishes for 19.2 and 23.5. Satlink meter, rover STCeu meter. Tripod with a dish for messing around.
My Location
North West England
Hi All,

I have seen offers of clones for 275 delivered a genuine box is 450.

Would you say the genuine box is worth the extra money? is the tuner of higher quality?

my friend bought a clone and he says the clones have a better tuner!! is that true? he also says that it is very noisy and can only have a maximum of about 25 peers or it becomes unstable, is this the same for the genuine box?

I bought a genuine 500s 18 months ago for about £140 and it turned out it was a clone! so thats why i ask.

thanks for the help.

Also is it just me or is this quite cheap for a 13 month full sub? does anyone know if the card can be removed so i can put it in a 800? also anyone know where i can get the HD polsat sub from for a good price?

_http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CYFROWY-POLSAT-Dekoder-i-Abonament-na-13-miesiecy-FULL_W0QQitemZ160328498105QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioElectronicsVideo_Video_TelevisionSetTopBoxes?hash=item255452bbb9&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1690%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

chavo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu uno, VU Duo2, sky dish, 2 zone 2 dishes for 19.2 and 23.5. Satlink meter, rover STCeu meter. Tripod with a dish for messing around.
My Location
North West England
30 views not a single reply? come on guys can anyone advise me on this one? i am looking at placing an order for a genuine one this weekend but at £200 cheaper for something that does the job just aswell it would be foolish not to consider it.... right?

DeepDiver

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vista- DreamBox 7020Si Nabilo Darkstar II -7025+ Black Hole 0.11 - DM8000 BlackHole 0.11
My Location
Mariana Trench - Pacific Ocean
I would say go genuine.
Clones cannot be updated with latest secondstages, and therefore new images would not work at their best.
Else, if you want to save money, buy a genuine box of another brand.

chavo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West England
Thanks deep diver. I have looked at other brands but i think that a box's value is based on the support network behind it. with a linux box the possibilities are endless providing the support is there.

It really is a good questiojn though. i am all up for buying genuine but these replicas are worth a second look.

For me, i think i will be going genuine, if i went clone though i could get a premiere hd subscription.... hmm

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
Yeah, some clones do work fine until You load a Gemini :eek:

Anyway there are a few new fresch Boxes on the move. Giving a lot for less money.

I am testing an AZ box, still in beta, works fine for me. Not really 100% but still, You can do what You want with it.

So, my advice is, have a good look around, plenty of good Linux boxes.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
I would buy a genuine. My logic is like this:
An original would cost me 100% and I know I can rely on it for years to come, while a clone would cost JUST 50%.
But if I buy a clone and it fails to function as good as the original, then I might need to replace it with an original, making the total cost 150%.

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
On the other hand, You could buy 2 for the same price as one G.:p

chavo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West England
It is a real tricky situation. i am interested in picture clarity and if i get 18 motns i will be happy. tuner tuner tuner.

Oh hells bells

zoro25

Attack of the Clones
Reaction score
Website
www.thetestmanager.com
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800 - Nabilosat Image and 250gig Hard-drive (pointing at 28.2E)
Dreambox 7020 with 120 gig hard-drive disk - running a motorised dish
DM600 +DM500
although only usually the 800 and 7020 are both on.
My Location
UK
I've no idea what tuner the clones have.
My advice is go genuine.

Most firmwares are written for genuine boxes and your just lucky if they work on clones.
some are purposely made to break clones (Gemini etc)

I really do feel your pain though as at the moment I want to buy an 8000 however the cost is just way too high.

I won't buy a clone though, however if one came out same features as the 8000 around 400-450 I can't say I would still be saying no.

Dream really has to do something about the clones as they are using the same branding and name meaning that DMM will get a bad name if these clones are made from bad parts and break in large numbers.

I'm guessing DMM make about £270 from each 8000 sold. So if they sell 10,000 boxes at £675 wholesale and they lower the cost to around £440 wholesale and sell around 100,000 boxes (more due to lower price) the total profits on the lower priced machine are more. They should maybe take a course in basic business.

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Well, the good thing with clones :)

They tend to lower the price on the genuin box

I turned out to be fooled by an smart ad and got me a cloned 500.

I should have reacted on the price but the 500 was not made anymore and I guessed it was just a way to get rid of some old stock.

However it was a clone and the Gemini got me, had to to a Jtag and it went back to life again.

Still it worked fine, in fact even better that the genuin one I also have.

The tuner was as good as the 7020si. Now I use it as a server for my AZ box, running like sh!t from a shiny showel.

So, if You know it is a clone , and take care of it - then I say It is as good as the original.

I am told (dunno if it is the truth) that they are made at the very same factory as the old and genuin 500 was made.

So, if You don´t have the money (or hesitat to spend them) buy a clone and make sure You don´t download any "strange" programs.

I am sure You will survive, spending the saving on beer or women:-rofl2

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
Some quotes from china:

DM500 - $62
DM600 - $75
DM800 - $200
DM8000 - $435

All these are clones of course.

zoro25

Attack of the Clones
Reaction score
Website
www.thetestmanager.com
My Satellite Setup
DM600 +DM500
My Location
UK
DM8000 amazing price.
Thats more like it.

Any links or more information?

Like I said before DMM need to do something - etiher stop the clones or even better yet start using decent pricing.

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
There are some links, but I won't reccomend following any of them, unless you have very close person in china, who can go, check receiver and organise delivery to you.

vinayr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500s
My Location
New Zealand
Dream-Multimedia has developed an innovative verification system for its customers.

A plugin can be started on the Dreambox, which will display a verifcation number.
This number can then be entered on our website to obtain immediate information about whether or not you have an original Dreambox or a forgery.

For this reason, we will forgo the Dream security holograms on our receivers and packaging from now on.

This has now been implemented on all their products.

All genuine DM8000 and DM800 now being sold through Authourised dealers

zoro25

Attack of the Clones
Reaction score
Website
www.thetestmanager.com
My Satellite Setup
DM600 +DM500
My Location
UK
Yes Vinayr I had seen that news posted a while back,

However it doesn't mean anything. Its only useful if your thinking of changing to a Gemini image.
Most people don't care if the box is genuine or not, so long as their sat channels are coming in thick and fast.

Also if you visit the DMM site and look under UK it states no authorised UK resellers however we all know or at least think that satstore and others are authorised?.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
zoro25 said:
Also if you visit the DMM site and look under UK it states no authorised UK resellers however we all know or at least think that satstore and others are authorised?.

You are right. There is no listed distributor in the UK.
But looking at several countries in Europe, they also don't have any, except in Germany. Also not in any other continent.
Could be they have changed the website and haven't updated their distributors database.

zoro25

Attack of the Clones
Reaction score
Website
www.thetestmanager.com
My Satellite Setup
DM600 +DM500
My Location
UK
One word of warning especially on the 8000 clones is that they only have 32meg of ram,

I heard that soon images for the 8000 will top 40 meg size, also there are bootloader issues and issues with upgrading to stage 2 etc.

I've now checked out the clones and I still think that original is where it's at, looking for a DM8000 then Original
looking for DM500 in that case go clone. (not much choice in originals)

vinayr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500s
My Location
New Zealand
If your happy to run old images with early revision bootloader & probably no warranty or one from China - which your have trouble shipping back into China ( clone will do you fine ) .

If you want to use the latest images including Gemini & with DMM warranty ( get yourself the Genuine from an approved reseller )

I think DMM will update their website shortly ( stay tuned )

_http://www.dmmtv.de/english/news.php

WildBit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-DM800 fixed on 28.2-quad
-DM7020 motorized
-Skystar HD2 motorized
-Cards&Cams&Cas
My Location
Ireland
I wentb the clone way and "similar" option as well. if you want piece of mind and tranquillity, GO GENUINE!!! If you really want to go the cheap way, buy in EU and stay away from China

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Republic of Georgia
Can't say for all, but I saw couple of months ago, clone DM800 running original gemini image w/o problems.