sky in france

Status
Not open for further replies.

sue-martin

Regular Member
Messages
16
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
sky digital windows xp
My Location
nimes France
#1
I have a house in the Nimes area of France. We have French satellite and have added a amstrad digital box and taken our Sky card to the house. We can get the sky listings up but so far nothing else. Have mooved the dish in every direction south north east and west but no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Could it just be pointing it in the right direction. Have heard a compass is needed? could this be true! sue martin
 

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Messages
37,671
Likes
1,279
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
#2
Unfortunately it has everything to do with pointing the dish in the right direction, doing it roughly or even with a compass will not suffice, it has to be within half a degree of the satellite, both in azimuth and elevation.

PS Welcome to the forum. :)
 

sue-martin

Regular Member
Messages
16
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
sky digital windows xp
My Location
nimes France
#3
rolfw said:
Unfortunately it has everything to do with pointing the dish in the right direction, doing it roughly or even with a compass will not suffice, it has to be within half a degree of the satellite, both in azimuth and elevation.

PS Welcome to the forum. :)
can you ytell me how to find out the precise position please
 

sue-martin

Regular Member
Messages
16
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
sky digital windows xp
My Location
nimes France
#4
sue-martin said:
can anyone tell me the correct position for my satellite dish in the nimes area ( poulx village) :-doh! I am willing to use a compass
 

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Messages
15,647
Likes
3,067
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
#5
Sue

What satellite is your other system pointing at? If it's Astra 1 at 19E then you can use this as a reference point. Looking from the back of the dish astra 2 is a nudge to the left (eastwards) and down a fraction. How high up is your dish? You may need to make a few jouneys up and down the ladder to get it right.

I'm an hour away from you near Orange if you get really stuck.

PaulR
 

sue-martin

Regular Member
Messages
16
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
sky digital windows xp
My Location
nimes France
#6
PaulR said:
Sue

What satellite is your other system pointing at? If it's Astra 1 at 19E then you can use this as a reference point. Looking from the back of the dish astra 2 is a nudge to the left (eastwards) and down a fraction. How high up is your dish? You may need to make a few jouneys up and down the ladder to get it right.

I'm an hour away from you near Orange if you get really stuck.

PaulR
Hi thanks for your help - can you help further can you give me the compass ref for the dish? we are receiving french satellite which my Father pays for and also get BBC prime. I have no idea if it's Astra 1 at 19E? how can I check. I will be in France again on the 1st of Sep. My brother is at the house at the moment.
 

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Messages
15,647
Likes
3,067
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
#7
Sorry, can't give a compass ref as I don't use one :-doh!

Worse, we leave for Blighty on ugust 29th :-doh! :-doh!

Have a look in the receiver's menu for information of which satellite it's looking at. Alternatively, if the box came with a subscription this info might help.

PaulR
 

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Messages
4,305
Likes
5
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
#8
Chance are it's Hotbird at 13 East or Astra at 19.2 East.

Here's what I'd do it...

Set up the new dish to point exactly the same direction, and angle, as your existing dish. Use your present receiver on this dish and adjust until it receives the current French channels.

Once this is done tighten the bolts on the dish.

Before you take the S*y receiver to France tune into a strong channel like S*Y News.

Now..

The S*y position is 28.2 East which is to the left of the current satellites. Loosen only the bolts that will allow the dish to move left and right (not up and down). Attach the S*y receiver to the dish and move the dish left slightly.
You will have to wait a few seconds before the digital signal will locks. If nothing keep moving the dish left some more.

If you want to use a compass find south and the position you want is 28.2 East. The sun is approximately at true South around midday GMT.

Keep going until you get a signal.

Tighten the left and right bolts then try loosening the up and down bolts and move the dish up and down to see if that improves your signal. Once you have the best signal tighten everything.

Hope this makes sense...
 

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Messages
15,647
Likes
3,067
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
#9
GB

Agree with you about everything except the compass and 28.2E from there. I would guess (emphasise guess) that from here (about 3 degrees East) Astra 2 is considerably less that 28E, probably more like 15 - 18 East of South.

PaulR
 

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Messages
4,305
Likes
5
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
#10
PaulR said:
Astra 2 is considerably less that 28E, probably more like 15 - 18 East of South.
:-righton You're 100% correct - was waiting for someone to spot that :-respekt
 

Low Profile

Regular Member
Messages
364
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD, DM7000 80GB HD with Asus WL330 wifi + 2GB usb drive, Skystar2.3, 2.2m Kinhuge Dish with Inverto LNB and Invacom ADF-120 feedhorn. Pace 1.3.25 and 80cm for Sky.
My Location
Lot, Dordogne, Correze border.
#11
Azimuth 148°
Elevation 34°
Skew -22.5°
 

pgh13

Specialist Contributor
Messages
1,567
Likes
370
My Satellite Setup
XTrend ET8000, Dr HD 15, PC/twinhan combination. 80cm dish. GBPVR with 2 DTTV cards +hauppauge Media MVP +Raspberry Pi running XBMC
My Location
Midlands UK
#13
I'd suggest that you use the French receiver to locate the sat. It isn't dependent on the S*y EPG and may already have Astra2 programmed.

Peter
 

sue-martin

Regular Member
Messages
16
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
sky digital windows xp
My Location
nimes France
#14
gameboy said:
Chance are it's Hotbird at 13 East or Astra at 19.2 East.

Here's what I'd do it...

Set up the new dish to point exactly the same direction, and angle, as your existing dish. Use your present receiver on this dish and adjust until it receives the current French channels.

Once this is done tighten the bolts on the dish.

Before you take the S*y receiver to France tune into a strong channel like S*Y News.

Now..

The S*y position is 28.2 East which is to the left of the current satellites. Loosen only the bolts that will allow the dish to move left and right (not up and down). Attach the S*y receiver to the dish and move the dish left slightly.
You will have to wait a few seconds before the digital signal will locks. If nothing keep moving the dish left some more.

If you want to use a compass find south and the position you want is 28.2 East. The sun is approximately at true South around midday GMT.

Keep going until you get a signal.

Tighten the left and right bolts then try loosening the up and down bolts and move the dish up and down to see if that improves your signal. Once you have the best signal tighten everything.

Hope this makes sense...

thanks will try all this and let you know
 

sue-martin

Regular Member
Messages
16
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
sky digital windows xp
My Location
nimes France
#16
:cool:
pgh13 said:
I'd suggest that you use the French receiver to locate the sat. It isn't dependent on the S*y EPG and may already have Astra2 programmed.

Peter
Thanks will try this too
 

sue-martin

Regular Member
Messages
16
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
sky digital windows xp
My Location
nimes France
#18
wisebird said:
hi polinaro
if you mean the "bbc prime" channel on hotbird and astra then you can receive it if you have an appropriate cam (magic or viaaccess) and a pirate card you can get easily
if you want specific details do not hesitate yo ask
I have a sky card and a english digi box attached to a french dish but can't quite get a signal. Can get the sky menu but a message saying no signal? can you help
 

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Messages
37,671
Likes
1,279
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
#19
If you go into the Services menu/system setup/Signal Test, what are the readings on signal strength, quality and transport stream?
 

sue-martin

Regular Member
Messages
16
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
sky digital windows xp
My Location
nimes France
#20
sue-martin said:
I have a sky card and a english digi box attached to a french dish but can't quite get a signal. Can get the sky menu but a message saying no signal? can you help
Hi again - yes I take my sky card with me but still not able to get a signal. Should I buy a compass? thanks for your help
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top