Sky Q LNB Question (sorry if its been asked before)

benwiddowson82

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm dish (Amiko Motor). Amiko Alien2+, Amiko Alien Mini, GigaBlue IPBOX, Ariva 203, Sky+HD 2TB, NC+, TNTSAT, MTV Unlimited Cards. Mac Mini, MacBook Pro.
My Location
Loughborough, Liecestershire, UK
Hi

I just have a quick question regarding the SkyQ system and its LNB. I take my Sky system touring with me around Northern Europe with the aid of a Triax 64cm dish and a Inverto Black LNB. If i upgrade to Sky Q can/will the box run on a standard universal LNB for a short time (i'm not so fussed about limited functionality as long as it will allow the viewing of one channel).

Thanks

Ben

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
From what I've read $ly Q uses a wideband LNB which is not compatible with a universal LNB or vice-versa. I'm not sure of the intermediate frequency of a $ly Q LNB but I doubt it's the same as either of the IFs of a universal LNB so would not give even limited functionality.

So, I think the answer is no.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
It would be very shortsighted if the design of the SkyQ receivers did not have a local oscillator adjustment within the menu to cope with existing dish requirements.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The Sky Q box on a domestic installation requires a wholeband LNB with Vertical and Horizontal feeds, if used on a an IRS in say a block of flats, it uses a dSCR (Digital Satellite Channel Router or Digital Single Cable Router) feed, it may be possible to get one working on a unicable LNB, but you'd need to change to dSCR mode and change the SCR channels in the setup menu, as unicable uses fewer channels, only 1 to 4.

Last edited:

benwiddowson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm FTA set-up / Mac Mini
My Location
Leicestershire, UK
I'm assuming the safest bet is to stick with SkyHD or take a freesat box with us next time.

jimmypegasus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD
My Location
North West UK
Hi

I just have a quick question regarding the SkyQ system and its LNB. I take my Sky system touring with me around Northern Europe with the aid of a Triax 64cm dish and a Inverto Black LNB. If i upgrade to Sky Q can/will the box run on a standard universal LNB for a short time (i'm not so fussed about limited functionality as long as it will allow the viewing of one channel).

Thanks

Ben
You will not be able to connect your sky q box to a standard LNB as they work in a completely different way. Only option is use an old Sky box or freesat for free to air channels or a Sky box and temporary swap your card from he sky q box to your other box. You
can pair the card to your box in one of the menus. The only other alternative is to tap up a sky engineer to see if he will sell you a hybrid lnb ( has 6 connections, 4 for standard fix and additional 2 for skyQ) or one of the new sky Q lnbs. I can go into greater detail if need be why the 2 LNBs are not compatible.

ATB

JP