smart card or receiver software

GIVARGIS

Reaction score
wich is better to open encrypted channels, smart card or using receiver software that is finding in diffrent forum?

what is the difference between using smart card or receiver?

stuzeeuk

Dont eat yellow snow
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 88, mulitblock
13E, 19E, 28E
DM 800HD
My Location
Glasgow, Scotland
Smartcards are best used for official subscriptions. The question should be between CAM's and receiver software.

For CAM's the best on the market at the moment I would suggest is the 'Diablo CAM' which currently has excellent backup and support.

The best receivers I would suggest are the 'Technomate's, 1500CI is posibbly best supported at the moment.

Which is best between these is a gamble ...... depending on price, availablility, your location, what satellites you are pointing at, and most important, what the future support for these products will be.

Do a bit of reading on the forums here and then make up your own mind.

GIVARGIS

Reaction score
If my receiver has built-in satellite smart card reader can i use it for open channel by programming a smart card or must have cam?

stuzeeuk

Dont eat yellow snow
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 88, mulitblock
13E, 19E, 28E
DM 800HD
My Location
Glasgow, Scotland
depends on your receiver and what encryption is embedded. It also depends on wether it has a UCAS mode, in which case you may not need a card.

Since I have no idea what sat box you have or card you are looking to purchase its difficult to judge.

GIVARGIS

Reaction score
I like to change from useing receiver file to useing smart card
but i don't know how smart card works

just i know that there is diferent type of smart card with diferent eprom that can send file to it with smart card programmer

I want to know is smart card same for all type of encryption or each one has its related one?

becase i know when useing cam you must buy different cam for that encryption

but how about the box that has built in smart card reader, can i use cam with smart card reader????

for example if i buy a funcard can i put it in the box and use it?

to many question.....

Thanks

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Cards are old technology, they do not have enough processing power or memory to assist in decryption, these days most systems use emulators or cams that do not require cards. Some well supported receivers use modified software or patches. You can buy as many funcards as you like but just about all you will be able to do with them is scrape ice off a windscreen. I suggest you start reading some threads because you are obviously new to this and therefore need to do some background reading. If you want to get really technical then this site is good for educational purposes

GIVARGIS

Reaction score
I read that site and choose some words from that site to make clear my question

If my receiver has [CI module: common interface] and if i find the part of the [firmware] taht contains all type of the keys [all cam] then can i put that file to the smart card and use it with CI module and wach the same channel that when i use frimware update?

If it is impossible, why?

because

The smart card memory is small?
I cant find that type of file that contain all type of keys?
The CI module cant handle the smart card?

Thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I can't realistically see why on earth you would want to do this, as there are already CAMs available which can be updated with keys and patches, why insist on trying to introduce a third element into this?

It may well be possible, but it would require someone to work out how to do it by changing the architecture of a CAM and I can't see it happening, as it is a backward step.

GIVARGIS

Reaction score
Thank you rolfw

the problem with cam is that if i want to work with different type of encryption (nagra, viaccess, irdeto, ...) then i need different cam for each one with related smart card

OR

maybe there is a cam for all type of encryption [multicrypt] that i don't have information about it
if there is this type of cam can you give me information about it?

Thank you

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Do a forum search for TRex or Dragon, this is a programmable multicrypt CAM. :)

GIVARGIS

Reaction score
Thank you rolfw

But i am confuseing between CAM and CARD

In some fta receiver they write that the receiver has built in smart card reader [ x crypt smart card reader ] or [1 x smart card reader] same as Dreambox receiver is this mean that the smart card reader work as a multicrypt cam or no?

IF NO

what is this smart card reader for?

Thank you again

stuzeeuk

Dont eat yellow snow
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 88, mulitblock
13E, 19E, 28E
DM 800HD
My Location
Glasgow, Scotland
Your all over the place here mate .......... you really should do some reading.

- To answer the question the smartcard is normally for an official subscription card.

You have 3 main pieces of equipment

- Satellite receiver, most have some kind of embeded software, fta, viaccess, irdeto, nagravision and some have built in multicam (i.e. more than one of the above). Some also have CI slots. A CAM can be inserted into the CI slot.

- CAM, this holds the software for encyption type (viaccess, irdeto, nagravision). You can also buy programmable multi cams that manage several encyption types, Diablo and Dragon cam are examples of the above.

- Cards nowadays as ROLFW states are now normally for official subsciptions only. In the past 'fun cards' could be programmed to decrypt channels however the technology has now moved on and these are more or less redundant.

I suggest you dont buy a dreambox until you have the basics of the above ......

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
A CAM is a hardware part in PCMCIA format which has a connector that can be inserted in a receiver which has a CI CAM slot.
This CAM has a slot for inserting a smartcard.
Dreambox model 500S has a card reader for official smartcards, but you need an emulator (Software MULTICRYPT CAM) like CCcam to open the channels.
Other Dreambox models like 7000S has both card reader and a Hardware CI CAM (CI=Common Interface) slots.
Check this page for CAMs from one of our site sponsors Pulsat, to understand what a CAM looks like:
http://www.pulsat.com/satellite/site/results.php?cat_id=3

GIVARGIS

Reaction score
Thank you

I am reading many sites
So there is 3 method for decryption

1. use receiver frimware and patch
(it is easy but risky because in some case receiver damaged with wrong file and need jtag method for repair it)

2. use receiver with multicard reader and smart card
(it is old method and most of you don't use it)

3. use receiver with CI module and multicrypt CAM
(most popular but expensive)

If there is other method or my writing is wrong please correct it

Now new questions

1. If i find a key of one provider is it same for that 3 method?
or
depending of wich method i am useing i need related key?

2. what is benefit of method 3 (useing CAM) that most of you interested about it?

Thank you

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Method 1 is now by far the most popular.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Method 3 is useful if you don't want your receiver choice to be restricted, or you have gone and bought a receiver but method 1 doesn't work on it, because either someone can no longer be bothered to write new software for it, or no-one ever bothered in the first place.

Method 2 can be used, when neither method 1 or 3 work and if someone has some cards programmed up.

stuzeeuk

Dont eat yellow snow
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 88, mulitblock
13E, 19E, 28E
DM 800HD
My Location
Glasgow, Scotland
GIVARGIS said:
Thank you

I am reading many sites
So there is 3 method for decryption

1. use receiver frimware and patch
(it is easy but risky because in some case receiver damaged with wrong file and need jtag method for repair it)

2. use receiver with multicard reader and smart card
(it is old method and most of you don't use it)

3. use receiver with CI module and multicrypt CAM
(most popular but expensive)

If there is other method or my writing is wrong please correct it

Now new questions

1. If i find a key of one provider is it same for that 3 method?
or
depending of wich method i am useing i need related key?

2. what is benefit of method 3 (useing CAM) that most of you interested about it?

Thank you

Personally I would advise to buy a multicam receiver that is well supported with regular software updates and has a CI slot. Thus you get the best of both worlds if and when your box becomes obsolete.

Its more expensive but gives you greatest flexibility. You can also purchase official subscription if you so choose at a later date.

GIVARGIS

Reaction score
In wich method i can edit the file myself and put key in it?

for example if i choose method 1 can i edit the receiver frimware with some softwares that edit *.BIN files?
or
it needs some special information that i can't find them

How about other methods?

Thank you

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
It would help if you can add to your profile your location, dish size and which satellites you are interested in pointing to.
Also what would you like to watch and in which languages.
A receiver like Dreambox model DM7020S can give you a lot of flexibility.
Spend few hours reading the Dreambox section. You can learn a lot from there.

GIVARGIS

Reaction score
I know dreambox is linux based receiver with many flexibility but i need thechnical information in general not about some special receiver

Thank you.