UK TV in south eastern France

suzie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
nothing yet
My Location
annecy france
hello everyone ,i'm new to this and need some good advice.we live in france ,between annecy and geneva,we have french canal sat but also would like some english tv.some friends have told us just to buy a second dish and a cheap decoder get astra 2 and it will work!!hubby has spent 2 weekends trying(the cheap decoder gets nothing but he has connected it to canalsat decoder and it has found sky,searchs and then blocks)half of the world is telling us it will work the other half is telling us we need a digibox and suscribe to sky???please somebody tell us the truth i just would like some english tv for christmas!very confused suzie.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If you want the pay channels then you need a Sky UK subscription.

If you want the free channels then you need almost any free to air box and a suitably sized dish pointing at the 28E satellite cluster.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, you won't get UK Channels without correctly realigning your second Dish. I suspect it is aligned to the wrong Satellite, which is why you have no viewable results.

I don't know what size Dish you're trying to use, but I suspect that 60 - 80 cm would be the right ballpark for UK Channels where you are.

Most decent UK TV (BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Five) is Free To Air ie cheap box should do the job. No card or subscription.

Your problem is 99.99% certain to be incorrect alignment to 28E.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Tivù said:
I don't know what size Dish you're trying to use, but I suspect that 60 - 80 cm would be the right ballpark for UK Channels where you are.

I thought there was a marked increase in dish size required as you get further South in France I thought 80 - 90 cm was ballpark for that area

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
they're living in eastern France, close to the swiss border, though the same reasoning should be applied here : how further east you go ho bigger the dish you'll need, certainly for Astra 2D where all the BBC's and ITV's are located.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
80cm will be plenty for Geneva. I use that size down near 84 Orange and it gives a good margin for rain.

60cm will be enough to get the $ly sybscription channels but only the free ones on a fine day. When rain comes they'll fade away!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Topper said:
I thought there was a marked increase in dish size required as you get further South in France I thought 80 - 90 cm was ballpark for that area

Good results from a 60cm on hols even in the Catalunya Low Pyrenees, but I agree if I were doing this from scratch I'd go straight for 80cm :)

Edit: Just spotted the more accurate location and the easterliness is greater than apparent on first sight. So, direct local knowledge would be best.

For me, a geography refresher would be good!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Tivù said:
For me, a geography refresher would be good!

Ditto....... I had to look it up too ;)

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Although I live a considerable distance north of Annecy, if anyone asks me about Astra 2 reception I always recommend a 60cm as a minimum. Anything less will suffer from rain fade in severe weather, even here.

I would think an 80cm would be okay.......I just happen to have a Triax TD88 going spare:-rofl2

Pete

jemparis75

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorized dish with superjack positioner
My Location
france burgundy
I live in Burgundy and i receive perfectly english channels on Astra2 28.2 East with a 90 cm dish.
Have a look to lyngsat.com and select Astra2D and you get this :

File attached or
-http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/astra2d.html

I think with a 1,20 meter, you should do it

Cheers

Attachments

• Astra 2D.JPG
    Astra 2D.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 51

Low Profile

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD, DM7000 80GB HD with Asus WL330 wifi + 2GB usb drive, Skystar2.3, 2.2m Kinhuge Dish with Inverto LNB and Invacom ADF-120 feedhorn. Pace 1.3.25 and 80cm for Sky.
My Location
Lot, Dordogne, Correze border.
Make sure the decoder is numérique (digital), the cheaper analogue systems are not compatible. An 80cm dish (which is standard in most kits) is sufficient (unless you get a torrential downpour). The dish should point about 30° East from South, with 32.8° elevation and about 20° of skew (Twist the LNB 20° clockwise). The elevation should be marked on the bracket, it's not the angle of the face of the dish.

hump101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec star freesat pvr with 60cm dish, single lnb
My Location
Haute Savoie, France
Just for reference, we are in Chatel, and a 60cm dish and fortec star pvr give a really good signal, even when it is snowing. We are high (1250m) and have a clear line of site to 28.2E.

jewells

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm dish.Visionic slim 3 .de-coder
.mesh MatrixII,925 mx.
My Location
France south west,1hr.east of Toulouse.
Low Profile said:
Make sure the decoder is numérique (digital), the cheaper analogue systems are not compatible. An 80cm dish (which is standard in most kits) is sufficient (unless you get a torrential downpour). The dish should point about 30° East from South, with 32.8° elevation and about 20° of skew (Twist the LNB 20° clockwise). The elevation should be marked on the bracket, it's not the angle of the face of the dish.
Thank you SO much ,the information is just what i needed?i live 50km east of Toulouse & after many hours on the roof..ALL i get is Astra 19dgs east ...wait for it ...only in German ..Nothing else ,no nothing else comes through ..any suggestions would be appreciated ,the french tech ! says the optex d/coder is set up ok !! yes i am trying !! thanks professionals ,english man in france ......

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well if all you get is German Channels from 19.2E, clearly you need to move the Dish 9 degrees further East and to depress the Elevation by a degree or two.

Low Profile

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD, DM7000 80GB HD with Asus WL330 wifi + 2GB usb drive, Skystar2.3, 2.2m Kinhuge Dish with Inverto LNB and Invacom ADF-120 feedhorn. Pace 1.3.25 and 80cm for Sky.
My Location
jewells said:
Thank you SO much ,the information is just what i needed?i live 50km east of Toulouse & after many hours on the roof..ALL i get is Astra 19dgs east ...wait for it ...only in German ..Nothing else ,no nothing else comes through ..any suggestions would be appreciated ,the french tech ! says the optex d/coder is set up ok !! yes i am trying !! thanks professionals ,english man in france ......

No worries, as Tivù suggested, where you are the dish should point roughly 35° East of south, with 33.5° Elevation and about 25° of Skew.
:-thumbup

Low Profile

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
FWIW. Brico E.Leclerc are doing kit numeriques (FTA digital receiver + 80cm dish + LN:cool: for 49.95 Euros. You might have to check locally, but this is valid in 24, 33 and 46.

jewells

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
.mesh MatrixII,925 mx.
My Location
thank you all for your help, happy new year !! when the weather warms up i will be back on the roof ? &i will seek out a digital decoder ++ will keep you posted ,i feel very happy NOW !!

hump101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec star freesat pvr with 60cm dish, single lnb
My Location
Haute Savoie, France
FWIW I did exactly the same - Astra 19.2 and all German channels. I didn't have a compass, and the 19.2 signal strength is SO much stronger than the 28.2, I had missed it completely. However, having read this thread (which is why I joined - thanks folks) I moved it 9 degrees east (by guess) and 2 degrees down, and bingo, a faint signal on my satellite finder. Once focused on this the signal is still very low on my meter, but the tuner sees it as 70ish %, quality 80ish %, and the picture is great. Just persist and don't expect the 19.2 signal strength, and you should be fine.

jewells

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
.mesh MatrixII,925 mx.
My Location
Low Profile said:
FWIW. Brico E.Leclerc are doing kit numeriques (FTA digital receiver + 80cm dish + LN:cool: for 49.95 Euros. You might have to check locally, but this is valid in 24, 33 and 46.
thanks ..pardon my ignorance ,i have a LNB from my analogue
kit ? can i use this one ?? or when i purchase the digital de-coder...are the LNB s the same ??.....many thanks ...again

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It may or may not be, you need to check that it says universal on it.