Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Sunny day mostly and have been to a garden party tonight, the gas patio heater and chiminea kept us all warm as toast and no rain

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Channel Hopper said:
We had about an hour of torrential stuff this afternoon, and the two hours of drizzle.
I'd forgotten there were so many words to describe the wet stuff; here it's just rain.

Topper said:
the gas patio heater
There's going to be a Europe-wide ban on the sale of those things soon, just like the light bulbs, so if anyone wants one they better get out and buy one before it's too late.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Huevos said:
I'd forgotten there were so many words to describe the wet stuff; here it's just rain.

Pisitively possing down here. "Comme un vache pis" as the locals say.

Huevos said:
There's going to be a Europe-wide ban on the sale of those things soon, just like the light bulbs, so if anyone wants one they better get out and buy one before it's too late.

I have neither a patio or a barbeque, so no heater either, but why would they ban them? Global warming? Health and Safety?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
sonnetpete said:
I have neither a patio or a barbeque, so no heater either, but why would they ban them? Global warming? Health and Safety?

Both I would have thought. Efficiency aside - heat rises :-balloons- , an open flame often near, (or under) under a piece of waxed cloth umbrella is just asking for trouble. Then there is the gas cylinder within another metal housing. I doubt if many carry out the suggested general maintenance after a winter stored outside.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
Given the Gallic disregard for "health and safety" I can see the ban having little or no effect here (apart from not being able to buy new ones). They could of course replace the gas heater with a couple of burning tyres, as these often are their preferred open air heating system at "peaceful demonstrations".

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The old Russian central heating method was a hearth of housebricks that had been soaked in engine oil.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
sonnetpete said:
Global warming? Health and Safety?
In this day and age where not having 12 inches of insulation in every corner of your house is a sin, converting butane to CO2 on your outdoor patio in the hope of catching 1% of the heat output is heresy. Recommended heating for outdoors these days is infra red lighting... but anyway if it is so cold outdoors why not just put on some more clothes, or come indoors, so we can save a few drops of fuel for future generations to have wars over.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
well so much for good weather over the bank holiday weekend, its blowing a gale down the back of the house but clear skies here no rain which is good.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
What bank holiday - its a normal working week up here :(

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yeah, but you get Hogmanure instead, don't you?

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
No holiday for us either, as the French schools go back on Thursday. Anyway, we seem to get more than our fair share of public holidays!

Weather wise it's been sunny intervals and a strong breeze with a definite chill in the air. No doubt it will warm up when the children begin school!! (Note to self, must order 6 cubic metres of firewood for winter to go with 2 tonnes of anthracite already ordered and paid for!!)

A nonymous

Reaction score
Well just to make sure everyone else is feeling better my Bank Holiday has been sh*te up to now.

Been in Bed most of the weekend with a chest infection that has completly knocked me on my back.

Just been doing a bit on the forums and having a play on ebay in between coughing my head off. Work is looking more unlikely on tuesday anyway :D

Nano

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
sonnetpete said:
No holiday for us either, as the French schools go back on Thursday. Anyway, we seem to get more than our fair share of public holidays!

Weather wise it's been sunny intervals and a strong breeze with a definite chill in the air. No doubt it will warm up when the children begin school!! (Note to self, must order 6 cubic metres of firewood for winter to go with 2 tonnes of anthracite already ordered and paid for!!)
My kids go back on the 14th of September. They've been off since the 19th June.

Here we buy firewood by weight. The longer you wait the more you get for the money due to drying... but if you wait too long the seasoned wood is all gone. With any luck we should get to mid December without burning anything...

Last year when we did get round to lighting a fire we found I had a bird's nest problem... and once we removed the bird's nest we got a bird falling down the chimney problem.

BTW, this week it's been 40ºC most days.

Attachments

• draft2.jpg
    draft2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 20
  • draft3.jpg
    draft3.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 22
  • draft4.jpg
    draft4.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 23
  • draft5.jpg
    draft5.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 24
  • draft6.jpg
    draft6.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 20
  • draft7.jpg
    draft7.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 19
  • bird1.jpg
    bird1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 28
  • bird2.jpg
    bird2.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 29

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Huevos said:
Here we buy firewood by weight.....

Last year when we did get round to lighting a fire we found I had a bird's nest problem...

Well buying a stere (cubic metre) or corde (3 cubic metres) of wood is fraught with difficulty here, as it's calculation depends on how short or long the wood is cut, which commune it is, or whether the farmer has had his evening pastis. I actually order two trailerfulls, the contents of which vary in size and thickness.

Oh, and please assure me that roast sparrow is NOT on the menu!!

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
sonnetpete said:
corde (3 cubic metres) of wood
Corde? Is that a French measure? In the US they use the Cord which is the US standardised measure for stacked firewood. It's 128 cubic feet (8' x 4' x 4') and is measured with a cord, which is 4 feet long, hence the name. Does your Corde, which equates to 103 cubic feet, relate to stacked wood?

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Huevos said:
Corde? Is that a French measure? Does your Corde, which equates to 103 cubic feet, relate to stacked wood?

Yes it is a French measure, although they may have adopted it from the Americans post liberation. It usually relates to stacked firewood, but both the stere and corde vary according to whether or not the wood is split and the length to which it is cut (i.e. 33cm, 40cm or 50cm)

Have a look at _http://www.e-bois.fr/ for photos and examples, though you may have to use my post code 50640 to access the listings.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
BTW, what are you burning it in. I burn in the stove in the picture which is pretty efficient and has double combustion so it produces zero visible smoke, once it is alight.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
I guess it would be too easy just to say wood!! It does depend on what my usual supplier sends as he normally brings a mixture, and this usually includes oak, beech and chestnut. The logburner is really efficient (and less than a year old) but I now only use it as backup to the Rayburn in the kitchen, on which I also cook and heat the upper floor through five radiators. It's dual fuel so I can use anthracite and wood.

Attachments

• New fire and renovated fireplace.JPG
    New fire and renovated fireplace.JPG
    335.1 KB · Views: 23

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Why do you want to cook the upper floor?

We went t'other way and stopped burning logs last year. Now use portable LPG heater for secondary heating.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Tivù said:
We went t'other way and stopped burning logs last year. Now use portable LPG heater for secondary heating.
So you're not into save the planet then?

Status
Not open for further replies.