Wavefield T55

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
T90, 1 black ultra HighGrain Quuad, 20 smart lnb (2 twins), 16/1 diseqc switch, 2x emp 4/1, S9HD, Vu+ Uno,
My Location
South Wales
Robbo said:
They can be made to. They just need 3 or 4 maybe 5 turns of insulation tape round them.

So the sky quads are not 40mm.

Which colour of insulation tape is the best for the conversion?

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
T90, 1 black ultra HighGrain Quuad, 20 smart lnb (2 twins), 16/1 diseqc switch, 2x emp 4/1, S9HD, Vu+ Uno,
My Location
South Wales
Hi guys

Any of you lot used satlex?

this is what I get for my lon/lat

Latitude: 51.5764° N (51° 34' 35") Longitude: -3.2422° E (3° 14' 31")

WaveFrontier tilt angle (Skew): 103.71°

Make skew adjustment by tilting the antenna 13.71° to East which is exactly 103.71° on the scale!!!
(seen from behind the antenna)

_http://www.satlex.de/images/dot.gif

WaveFrontier elevation angle: 27.61° (central satellite)

_http://www.satlex.de/images/dot.gif

WaveFrontier azimuth range: 47° (42.0° E -> 5.0° W)

Does this skew work as I want to set the skew nuts on the ground beore the dish goes back up (also is the 0.71 is that a rough guessimate).

I have set 42e and 5w as the range roughly. I have never used this before. I just use the the old way (move it up and down - left and right and hope).

grateful if anyone confirm figures are ok and I shall turn the bolts today and try a few lnbs to see what happens.

cheers

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Huevos said:
The Solo and the Xtrend both allow the user to select the command order.

Cheers H

still looking for the cheapest Xtrend 5000 (still 239£ here - checking out Europe at the moment) - at the moment tests are being carried on the spare S9 HD.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
RimaNTSS said:
Vintage 4/1 for 9,90 each that's expensive stuff, I was speaking about cheapest possible. What do you think people are mostly doing visiting Latvia? Go to the theater? Very seldom! Shopping? Same stuff in our shops, but for bigger money, so not good idea! Go to museums? Yes, there are some, and during the day it is possible. Evenings are made for restaurants and this is unfortunately axiom. Restaurants, night clubs and some crazy stuff, that what tourists are doing in Riga, and you would not be an exception believe me.
I also did not say that to get your beer you should come to Latvia.... world is really small, could happen that I come to vicinity. :)

Choosing the Vantage 4/1 was a bit of a compromise between cheaper switches (I was worried about reliability) and Spaun's (I was worried about my wallet).

Sadly, I'm not really a 'night club and crazy stuff' person, so it seems like Riga may drop down my list of cities to visit. Besides, it's a long drive from northern France to there........especially for a €20 beer...

Edit : Just looked it up and it's 2418km from here. Shame, I was thinking of popping over there this weekend!!

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
sonnetpete said:
Choosing the Vantage 4/1 was a bit of a compromise between cheaper switches (I was worried about reliability) and Spaun's (I was worried about my wallet).Sadly, I'm not really a 'night club and crazy stuff' person, so it seems like Riga may drop down my list of cities to visit. Besides, it's a long drive from northern France to there........especially for a €20 beer...Edit : Just looked it up and it's 2418km from here. Shame, I was thinking of popping over there this weekend!!
Another reason I was looking at the emp 4/1, spaun are expensive not sure why, should be cheaper.20 bucks for a beer, a few rounds of that would get me a new satbox.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
Sonnetpete: Reliability of diseqc is good point, but question is how to measure it? My first 1/4 diseqc I did buy for about 9 EUR some 7 years ago and it still working good. After that I bought some more diseqcs and all of them working without any problems. So, I really do not see any difference between expensive and cheep dieseqc.
Not coming to Riga....., than let meet on neutral territory, for example in Amsterdam, I will be there in 2 hours :-righton
2 Godzillafan: Colour of insulation tape chose which you like more, does not matter. And all the calculated by satlex angles are correct, now it will be your part of job- do all adjustments. Probably it is impossible to set 13,71* angle, but actually this angle is very important and reception on the far-most East and West satellites will depend strongly on how close you are to 13.71*. Elevation and azimuth angles are also important. Actually that T90 adjustments is only about those 3 angles and placement of each LNB on the proper position. Now do your homework :confused

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
You're probably right with the switches but without any experience of them I decided to choose something that I did know of the manufacturer. (I had a Vantage receiver)

Amsterdam in two hours? You have access to a private jet?.......OK, I'll just get my pilot to warm up the helicopter while I clean out the chicken shed LOL

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
godzillafan said:
spaun are expensive not sure why
Because they are the best. When things are the best, they cost more to make, and less people buy them, which forces up the price further.

I come across quite a few faulty DiSEqC switches. Apart from the obvious, which is just not switching at all, I have had inability to transmit the 22kHz tone, so the LNB never switches to high band, and voltage drop, where the receiver can't access horizontals. Put those switches in a big cascade, and don't have any proper test equipment to track down the fault, and you will keep yourself frustratingly busy.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Huevos said:
Because they are the best. When things are the best, they cost more to make, and less people buy them, which forces up the price further.

I come across quite a few faulty DiSEqC switches. Apart from the obvious, which is just not switching at all, I have had inability to transmit the 22kHz tone, so the LNB never switches to high band, and voltage drop, where the receiver can't access horizontals. Put those switches in a big cascade, and don't have any proper test equipment to track down the fault, and you will keep yourself frustratingly busy.

Right so spuan are top of the market end. I guess I will go for middle of the road and stick to the Emp's.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
RimaNTSS said:
2 Godzillafan: Colour of insulation tape chose which you like more, does not matter. And all the calculated by satlex angles are correct, now it will be your part of job- do all adjustments. Probably it is impossible to set 13,71* angle, but actually this angle is very important and reception on the far-most East and West satellites will depend strongly on how close you are to 13.71*. Elevation and azimuth angles are also important. Actually that T90 adjustments is only about those 3 angles and placement of each LNB on the proper position. Now do your homework :confused

WaveFrontier tilt angle (Skew): 103.71°

At the moment the skew mark on the back is at 90 - so I just unbolt the bolts and move it to as close to 103.71 as possible - it will be rough as they is no 0.71 or anything like that.

the elevation

use a old clino and set to 0 and then raise the dish up to 13.71 roughly on thre clino and lock both.

azimuth I have no idea - do you just move the dish to the right in my case (east wards)?

is that whats it means?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
No, half right.

The 103.71 is the skew of the dish, that is done using the markings on the back, and if it all works with that setting, all is well. But it can be adjusted if need be, to get both end sats if there is a problem.

The elevation, is the same as a norm dish, i.e how high or low in the sky it looks. That generally would be done by adjusting it until you get the best signal on a satellite near the centre. Similarly, the azimuth can be adjusted the same way.

It is then, that you may have to start adjusting things further to optimize if necessary. Bearing in mind that if you adjust the skew, the azimuth position of all the LNBs change as well.:-rofl2

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
Godzillafan!
Some time ago I was preparing a step-by-step instruction, which was on another language, so adjusted it little bit for you.

Maybe a little bit with the terminology, specifically the corners, which are present in the Toroidal Antenna (TA)?
- Azimuth - of course, the antenna direction in the horizontal plane (angle between the South and the direction of the TA);
- Elevation - the angle between the horizon and the direction of the central satellite TA.
- Skew or Tilt angle– decline of TA East-West if you look at the antenna from its back.

Step 1. Decide on satellites. Find the angle of elevation and azimuth of each satellite, which you wish to catch. Draw a picture on graph paper or home computer (I like Visio from Bill Gates), where a horizontal line - the horizon, the vertical - the direction of the South (elevation). This step is just a preparation just to get overall idea, and if you wish you can skip this step.

Step 2. Choose on which satellites you are going to adjust TA. For example I will take yours 42E - 5W and everything between them. Enter the extreme values (42E and 4W) in calculator satlex.net to determine the necessary angles of the antenna, as well as the locations of the LNBs on a rail (you have already done this, I know). You have got no imaginary central satellite, because Astra19* should be placed on 0,7 scale. And now, a very important point: For the initial stage to not fight with 3 angles at once (Azimuth, Elevation, Skew), just eliminate Skew. How? By manually changing orbital positions of most-West or most-East satellites make sure you have real satellite directly in the middle of the LNB rail. In your case put in User-defined orbital position 43,4E and let calculator calculate, now you can see that you got Imaginary central satellite which is Astra19,2* and there are new Skew 14.1* to East, Elevation angle 27.4* and Azimuth 48,4*

Step 4. Forget that you have a TA and we catch our first satellite (in this case Astra 19) in exactly the same way as we do on a simple offset antenna not paying attention to the Skew. Skew of TA will not make any effect on Astra 19*. Turn the TA in azimuth and elevation to achieve the maximum signal at the Astra19* and fix these two angles by tightening all bolts. Do not touch those bolts anymore.

Step 5. Put another LNB on the position 21,9 on the rail, this LNB is for 42*. By changing Skew make sure you get maximum signal from 42*.

Step 6. Fine-tuning. Add rest of your LNBs and regulate each LNB for a maximum signal by rotating it along the axes, moving back and forth (little bit up and down if you have non-standard LNB holders).

But what to do now with 5*W, seems that LNB position should be 24,8.... so extend rail or put LNB on the very edge on standard rail and most likely you will any way get enough signal.

2 Sonnetpete: I did not tell that I fly to Amsterdam; I have said “I will be in Amsterdam in 2 hours”. It actually took little bit more than 1 hour by road from Den Helder, where I spent last 3 days. Beer was really expensive there, tasty though.

Attachments

• mysats.jpg
    mysats.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 255

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
RimaNTSS said:
It actually took little bit more than 1 hour by road from Den Helder, where I spent last 3 days. Beer was really expensive there, tasty though.

I went to Den Helder once and the streets were covered in doggie poo. And you're right, beer is expensive!

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
RimaNTSS said:
Godzillafan!
Some time ago I was preparing a step-by-step instruction, which was on another language, so adjusted it little bit for you.

Maybe a little bit with the terminology, specifically the corners, which are present in the Toroidal Antenna (TA)?
- Azimuth - of course, the antenna direction in the horizontal plane (angle between the South and the direction of the TA);
- Elevation - the angle between the horizon and the direction of the central satellite TA.
- Skew or Tilt angle– decline of TA East-West if you look at the antenna from its back.

Step 1. Decide on satellites. Find the angle of elevation and azimuth of each satellite, which you wish to catch. Draw a picture on graph paper or home computer (I like Visio from Bill Gates), where a horizontal line - the horizon, the vertical - the direction of the South (elevation). This step is just a preparation just to get overall idea, and if you wish you can skip this step.

Step 2. Choose on which satellites you are going to adjust TA. For example I will take yours 42E - 5W and everything between them. Enter the extreme values (42E and 4W) in calculator satlex.net to determine the necessary angles of the antenna, as well as the locations of the LNBs on a rail (you have already done this, I know). You have got no imaginary central satellite, because Astra19* should be placed on 0,7 scale. And now, a very important point: For the initial stage to not fight with 3 angles at once (Azimuth, Elevation, Skew), just eliminate Skew. How? By manually changing orbital positions of most-West or most-East satellites make sure you have real satellite directly in the middle of the LNB rail. In your case put in User-defined orbital position 43,4E and let calculator calculate, now you can see that you got Imaginary central satellite which is Astra19,2* and there are new Skew 14.1* to East, Elevation angle 27.4* and Azimuth 48,4*

Step 4. Forget that you have a TA and we catch our first satellite (in this case Astra 19) in exactly the same way as we do on a simple offset antenna not paying attention to the Skew. Skew of TA will not make any effect on Astra 19*. Turn the TA in azimuth and elevation to achieve the maximum signal at the Astra19* and fix these two angles by tightening all bolts. Do not touch those bolts anymore.

Step 5. Put another LNB on the position 21,9 on the rail, this LNB is for 42*. By changing Skew make sure you get maximum signal from 42*.

Step 6. Fine-tuning. Add rest of your LNBs and regulate each LNB for a maximum signal by rotating it along the axes, moving back and forth (little bit up and down if you have non-standard LNB holders).

But what to do now with 5*W, seems that LNB position should be 24,8.... so extend rail or put LNB on the very edge on standard rail and most likely you will any way get enough signal.

2 Sonnepete: I did not tell that I fly to Amsterdam; I have said “I will be in Amsterdam in 2 hours”. It actually took little bit more than 1 hour by road from Den Helder, where I spent last 3 days. Beer was really expensive there, tasty though.

Top stuff R

really appreciate the effort and all the hard work - I guess I am part there.

Step 1 - check but going by satlex and a rough idea in my head.
Step 2 - check - sats choosen. 19 astra on 0.7 on bar - using this as main guide centre - check. 42e 4w - add them on after adding 19e - check. Going to step 4
step 4 - check manual play around to fix 19e. add 42e and 4w and change the skew slight until i get strong signal - check.

step 2-4 is causing me probs - cant work out the skew works - I will do it the old fashion way and get it on 90 and then add the 19e on 0.7 and manually get the best signal and then add 42 and 4 and then try the skew. its seemed to be 103..earlier - tried that bar one of the bars was tight against the mount pole. So something wrong there.

step 5-6 - I put metal bars on 90, so not going to use the original bar, but using the original numbers roughly to put the lnbs on the metal bar. Try and error on this as the skew will be out as metal bars are higher than the orignal bar (photos to come).

BUT a wee problem.

Some builders were working on the garden and got them to put the mount up for me- they did a good job and placed it were old sky dish was - so high up on wall in the back garden.

Next door neighbour had a heartattack and kindly asked if we can move it a little (like somewhere else).

SO......

Decided to keep it on same side of house wall in back but I am going to drop the height about 2/3ft and I think the M6*36 bolts we put on are not strong enough as there was still movement in them.

Moving it down a couple of ft will it make much difference - nothing in the way as I have a clear view - just the elevation needs adjusting I think.

Any thoughts on dish in back garden and neighbour to my right sitting on deck chair not happy its there.

As far as I am aware cant do front of house, but back of house no issues. The chap opposite me - he a bit far as he has some trees blocking both our gardens. But next door chaps are great but i think the dish was a surprise for them.

Wife says leave it as spent all day putting it up. I think move it down 3ft - they will see it but not as much.

Any thoughts as its still going up, but need to think how low I can go.

The advice is all going to be used, just need to move the dish ( a little).

A pole I am not too keen on

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
Almost forgot... Sonnetpete, congratulations on your National Day!
Godzillafan! Unbelievable, you have so many problems with your neighbors! Solve them yourself first.
Moving antenna down or up several feet changes completely nothing, even 100 meters will not make any difference. Of course, in front of antenna should be clear sky towards satellites, other ways it all does not make any sense.
And, finally, show some pictures of your T90

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
RimaNTSS said:
Almost forgot... Sonnetpete, congratulations on your National Day!
Godzillafan! Unbelievable, you have so many problems with your neighbors! Solve them yourself first.
Moving antenna down or up several feet changes completely nothing, even 100 meters will not make any difference. Of course, in front of antenna should be clear sky towards satellites, other ways it all does not make any sense.
And, finally, show some pictures of your T90

cheers R
then 3 ft down it is

just a big pain in the back and a waste of a day.

just need another dry day

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
RimaNTSS said:
Actually it is the angle between North and the direction the antenna is pointing. 0º azimuth means pointing the antenna due North. Here is an example (from Dishpointer): Astra 28ºE from London = azimuth 145º. So you look due North, turn yourself 145º in a clockwise direction and that is where the satellite is. Or just read 145º using a lensatic compass.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
I know what is Azimuth Azimuth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. But I meant Azimuth angle of T90 central satellite. For Godzillafan T90 azimuth angle is 152,2*. Paraphrase this definition than, I am not native speaker :-worship

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
I better start a thread in the photo page as it looks like I have a load of work to do.Taken about 10 pics so far, I will go through them and get them on here. It will keep everything together.Just gutted the neighbours sit in the back all the time. Should not be a issue but don't want to fall out with them.Pics will help decide ideal position to put the dish.wee man is not happy as I have taken down the old sky dish. so no tv for a few days.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
RimaNTSS said:
Almost forgot... Sonnetpete, congratulations on your National Day!...

Thanks....but obviously as I'm English, Bastille Day is a little lost on me. No doubt my neighbours will be celebrating with a few 'less than €20' beers......or red wine.....and fireworks....